How would you hunt them?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by bugle freak, May 28, 2008.

1. bugle freak

bugle freak New Member

I'm wanting to go on a hog hunt in TN and was wondering how you all would hunt them???

1. spot and stalk
    2.blind or treestand
    3.with dogs

and why would you hunt this way?

2. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I think they use dogs and you run em down
    ask WP Bowmaster he went there earlier this year. Anyway it will be a guided hunt.

3. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

Spot & Stalk for me. Mainly because not much on the taste of wild boar...so I'd eat it semi-grudgedly...so it'd have to be for the sport (mainly). If you can spot and stalk an animal with superior senses and speed....and take them with an arrow, then you hunted...and you earned it. It's hard...but the respect you gain for yourself...AND for the animal is beyond comparison.

2nd choice would be blind.

The only thing I've ever hunted with a dog is rabbit and quail (different dogs)....mainly cause I like to eat rabbit & quail...a LOT and I don't mind if the dogs "take the animal". If the dogs do the work...then they are just bringing you with them while THEY hunt. Who can't shoot a boar that dogs run to ground?

As usual, though, this is only MY opinion...and there's a world full of others that would disagree with me on almost ever point.

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

:laugh: get up there:laugh:

5. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

where would you run them too with dogs? I can understand using dogs to tree an animal, but where to hogs stop?

6. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

Chasing any animal stresses them...and they get tired faster. Run them until they get stupid and tired...and most dogs will even run them around your position (like with rabbits). Good dogs do the hunting...you just have to be patient and wait for the kill.

With pigs, in particular....if the dogs corner it...then it'll be caught up with them and eventually try to fight back....when it stops and is distracted you can walk up and kill it. :) (Only been on one pig hunt, that's how it went down..and I didn't get a shot. The guy who owned the dogs did.)

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

doesnt seem like alot of fun too me..........

8. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

Oh, I had a LOT of fun...especially cause my adrenaline level was maxed the whole time. I was the "lucky" guy that managed to jump the boar. He scared the crap out of me. I think I was about 16 at the time...still in high school....and yes...I think I squealed when it took off...cause it was running FROM the dogs...and toward me. I remember looking around for a tree to climb! :biggrin1:

Then it all began...and we did a LOT of hiking to keep fairly close to the dogs. Still, I feel they did the hard work...because with 3 dogs the boar doesn't have much of a chance to get away and it was harrassed CONSTANTLY by the dogs. It took longer to get him than I would have thought, though.

FYI: I'm not nuts about the taste of wild boar...smoke it if you get one...best way to eat it imho.

9. J.C.

J.C. New Member

it is if you use a knife

10. SinGin

SinGin Banned

might as well bump this to the top and save Bunnyman the trouble.

11. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

If I had a choice, my first would be spot and stalk, because I have never had the opportunity to try it and I am always up for a new and exciting challange.

My second choice would be blind/stand because it puts you on a level playing field with the pig (so to speak).

Anyone who knows me from AT knows how I feel about hunting with dogs. Not a big fan of it at all for game other than birds. I will respect anyone else's choice to do it as long as it doesn't impact other hunters, it's just not my idea of a challanging hunt.:wave:

12. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

well

I hunted them from a treestand first with no luck in the morning
    Then after about 4 hours of just seeing rams the guide came and got me
    picked up 2 pit bulls and turned the dogs loose and we chased them around a bit and they had 1 cornered..small 1 ..which i approched and it turned on me
    no trees 2 climb:lol:
    my bow went 1 way i went another and the hog went stright
    after that happened i told the guide i wanted to get back off the ground:lol:
    2 hours later i bagged 1 at 27 yds beside a creek where they came in the evening to wallow..from a fixed ladder stand
    Very exciteing hunt:rockon: