Hoyt Drama...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by swintj1, Sep 2, 2008.

1. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Hey all,

Well, I finally got my Hoyt back after 5 weeks of waiting! It went in for cam lean on the lower cam, and I called Hoyt today, and they replaced both limbs (Brand new Katera limbs) and then the top cam. Only problem is...the cam with the lean (the lower one) was kept on the bow, which is fine with me because the lean is from the limbs, not the cam, BUT!!!...when Hoyt was working on it, they removed my "Let-off stopper" and forgot to put it back on. So, now I have a bow that doesn't have the knob needed to set the 65 or 75% let off, so it is out of tune, and can't be shot until I get that from them. I called them at 3:50 MT, and of course...they close at 4pm, but were closed already, so I'll have to wait for tomorrow...and I'm sure that won't go too smoothly either. But, we'll get it fixed, just another hassel from Hoyt. In all, it is still the sweetest hunting bow available (besides the Katera) in my opinion, but the hassel puts a sour taste in my mouth...:mad:

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I know of a bunch of single cam bows you dont need draw stops for, and rarely go out of tune........:wave: :lol:

3. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

You always need to prove me wrong don't you Bunny! :D Well, all I know is that I bet that my Hoyt will shoot better with a draw stop, than without one...otherwise they wouldn't equip them with one to begin with...so it bums me out they screwed up on fixing my bow 100%. No biggie though.

Shot that Evo + for about 30 shots tonight...got it tuned to a poundage I think I'm happy with..I might give it another 1/4 to 1/2 turn to increase the poundage a little more, but I'm back at it. I have my peep positioned for the Evo now, not the wrist, and like you said, I'll stick at it for about a month and see where it takes me. It does have promise though, I just need to practice with it. I don't know how, but I think it was just way too heavy...but it feels a lot better now, and I'm back at it. I'll let you all know when I'm shooting it well...I'll have a weekly progress report or something. :D

4. Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet New Member

Your single cams long string will be more prone to go "out of tune" then any system with 3 short cables.....it's just the way that strings are:peace:

swintj1 why not just call your dealer?:noidea:

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

If that were true, alot less people would shoot single cams.....

Please try again.......

6. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

My Ovation has a draw stop.... :noidea:

My bud's Switchback has a draw stop... :noidea:

And the nomenclature "out of tune" is not used in the correct context for the discussion. Out of tune can mean a lot of different things with a bow. I believe what we are talking about is cam timing, and single cam bows have cam timing adjustment as well as cam and a half bows whether binary or not. Mathews has a WEB page dedicated to cam timing on all of their bows, just as an example.

I guess I lost something on this one. Not surprising if that were the case. :noidea:

And why would you need new limbs because of cam lean ? Usually you can adjust the cable and get the cam and/or wheel to spec.

Hummmmm.....

Ron

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  7. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

I think with the Hoyt's with the Fuse strings, the "V" formation the strings make on the upper limbs are supposed to "Auto-correct" the limbs from getting cam lean....but the limb was deformed in some way, so they replaced both the upper and lower limbs. They also replaced the upper cam...for what reason I'm not sure.

All I know, is that I have 2 brand new limbs and a new cam...so basically...a brand new Hoyt. So, much appreciated there. :rockon:

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

and it still aint worth anything:tape: :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

That's just weird if you ask me.

BUT, if things are good with the bow now then GREAT ! :peace:

Ron

10. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Ooo...I don't know about that one Bunny...:D I love my Mathews A7...definitely more than my Hoyt...but my Hoyt just gives me a feeling the A7 could never. When I pull my Hoyt back and I feel that MASSIVE valley, and then go up against that firm wall.....Oooo...man that bow gets me excited. It just feels like it is about to shoot that arrow about 500fps. :lol:

Plus, it was my first year in archery last year, as you know, and I won my 3D league last winter with the Hoyt, so I am confident in that bows ability to make a crappy shooter look good. :D

In all...I love both my bows, my Hoyt for its ability to get me excited before I even take the shot, and my Mathews for its smooth draw and stellar accuracy!

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

UMMMM GROSS!!!

12. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Yeah, if you want to take an innocent sentence and turn it sick...that is your choice...but, you know what I meant. :D

13. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

More than likely, they changed your top katera cam because of the recall. Most don't know about this recall but all early Katera bows need to have the top cam changed.

14. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

The only thing is...I have a Vectrix. That is what the Hoyt rep was telling me also...he kept mentioning something about a "pop can" cam...and they would replace it if it was an "old model"...but mine was an 07...how old is old?

There is a reason for everything though, so I'm sure Hoyt did it for a reason. I just think it was awesome of them to give me those new limbs...

15. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

You payed good money for that bow I wouldn't expect nothing less from them but the time frame would piss me off 5 weeks :censored:

16. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Yeah, agreed. I was called by a Hoyt rep first thing this morning, and they are sending me the string stopper. Should arrive early next week...so that was easier/faster than I thought. In all, I still think Hoyt is an awesome company, and they make the best bows in the world, but I wish they would be a little faster on their turn time for warranty work.

But, have it back, will get the string stopper installed next week, then I'll tune it back up, paper tune it, and get her set up to shoot again at 66lbs...and I'll be ready for hunting season.

Don't take this post as a dis to Hoyt, or a post to discourage purchasing a Hoyt...I love Hoyt. I just think my experience could have been handled differently.