hoyt katera help

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by wyatt, Dec 25, 2007.

1. wyatt

wyatt Junior Member

I bought a hoyt katera (to replace my razortech) when I was out of town a few weeks ago. Draw length was one inch too long (bought a 29 when I needed a 28). Bow shoots great but I keep slapping my left arm with the string. I've already made changes to my release to allow for more flex in my left arm, by I am starting to torque the bow due to the occasional slapping.

Any ideas? These bows are not adjustable for draw length. I thought I'd be able to make do (shop didnt have 28s in stock) and I didnt want to wait.

2. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

twist the string and cables, loose the D loop.

3. wyatt

wyatt Junior Member

the loop is pretty short, less than 1/2 inch. Kinda leary of putting the release directly on the string.

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

You'll never get an 1" out of the string...the only thing to do is get a 28" cam that's the only true fix

5. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

loose the loop and you can get around 1/2 out of the string.
    will new cams many new strings?

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

It should be the same string...
    You probably won't be able to get any shorter than 28.5"

With a loop on a 29" bow you're back around 29.5"...:noidea: But it may be worth a shot...:biggrin1:

7. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

a short release. over the last couple years TruBall and Carter(& spot hogg sat/fri nite releases) have come out with xtra short releases, particularly in the hand held type. Carter Ember, Tru ball xtreme series for example.These release allow me to shoot 31" draw when Im really in about 30.5" or a hair less.
    My Hoyt dealer would trade in my cams and order the right size for about $75+ string/cable set.New cams run about $150+ string.

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

You should be able to swap cam(s) on that bow to change draw length.
    I'd talk to a reputable shop and get that fit to you properly.
    One of the basic things you don't want to do is use a draw length that does not fit you. There is little you can do to properly address that outside of swapping cams/bows with a proper draw length.

Good luck !

Ron

9. wyatt

wyatt Junior Member

Thanks, I bought the bow on a whim and didnt want to wait the two weeks for a new shipment to come in. I'll talk to a local shop and try to have the string & cables twisted.

One question: How many twists

10. jimposten

jimposten Senior Member

You will never get the bow to shoot right if you twist an inch out of the factory draw... Your ATA will be off, the cams will be severly over rotated, the bow will be noisy, arrow speed will suffer. Do yourself a favor and get the right cams.

Losing the loop, switching releases, twisting cables ar all ways of cheating the fix but come with there own consiquences.

I am sure if you look hard enough you may even find someone who needs a 29, and may be able to swap cams free of charge.

JIM

11. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Loosing the loop won't change the DL, only your anchor point. The DL at full draw will be the same. Proper Draw length is IMPORTANT. I just screwed up my shoulder. Had too long of a DL for me and a new release. and stupidly let my hand creep forward and had the full draw weight kick in without me expecting it. :censored: sure got my complete attention! Got CORRECT modules ordered for it now !!!!!:frusty: :frusty:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  12. wyatt

wyatt Junior Member

just shot 3 groups after tweeking my release. Didnt slap once after I brought it in to the shortest setting. I think I,m gonna keep working on it. Not time for the pro shop yet.

I think the string stretched enough in the last week of shooting to start nailing my arm. Didnt take that into account. The bow was awesome at the range before I bought it.

13. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yep, that's the correct advice.
    You can lead a horse to water but you cannot necessarily make it drink...

Ron

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

you guys need to stop beating around the "GEORGE"........:laugh:

listen just get the right set of cams........

stop trying to duct tape the situation........

get it fixed right and be done w/it.......

15. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ron