humm did some arrow testing

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by bullspotter, Mar 20, 2007.

1. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

and found some odd results...... was shooting a 355 grain fatboy at 282 fps, at 62 lbs, and decided i was going to try some lighter arrows to gain some speed for flatter shots. so i got out the supecarbons, bout like a carbon express 200. they weigh in at 295, both arrows have beiter knocks and 2.25 q spins. now had to crank it down to 59.5 lbs to be IBO leagel, now i figure it will crono 310+ due to the weight diff, 60 grains. so off to the crono, shot 3 arrows and they all were 292, was dissapointed, i couldnt believe it. so i said well ill see how they shoot, sighted in my 20, they group awsom at 20, ok so i head outside. now my pins are still set for the fatboys, except for 20 as i moved the entire sight to get the 20 sighted in for the new arrows, 30 yards was 4 or so inches high, 40 yards was 8 to 10 inches high, and 50 was well over a foot, almost off the paper. I couldnt believe how much flatter the smaller dia arrows were then the fatboys only being 11 fps faster. so when i got home, i got out my hunting sight, and the pins were almoste set exactly the same, My hunting bow is shooting a 400 grain arrow at 280, at 69 lbs, but its a acc arrow. even smaller dia yet. So what i see is arrow drag seems to be a larger factor then i thought!!!! I will also find the KE of all 3 and post info on that to, im really interested now, Just for fun i might crank it up till the fatboys shoot the same speed and see what the drop off looks like......

2. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I'm gald ya'll got all them smarts. Could ya put it in a simpl=elier form for me>
    Does lighter arrows do better than fatter arrows? HS

3. bullspotter

ummm im not real sure, i THINK its got more to do with a skinny arrow vrs a fat one. Less drag, I need to find a skinny one and a fat one that weigh the same. and shoot them, Its obviouse that a fater one will slow down sooner, but with all the balistics stuff ive worked with on reloading, a heavy bullet drops off slower then a light one. at a spicific yardage. Lighter will normaly drop KE faster too. I know that a arrow at 280 or so fps is not comparble with a 180 grain bullet at 3200 fps, but wouldnt the pysics be the same?

4. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

yeah on an average tha shots today are between 30-37 yrds so does this seem to be tha place ta focus on?

5. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Hey thats pretty interesting there???? My son has some 355gr Supercarbons I may have to shoot them through the chrono against my 390gr X-Weaves and see the difference. My bow shop has some of the old carbons which take outserts because they are so small maybe if they weigh enough I can get some real barn burning speed with them??? Keep us informed on this matter.:peace:

6. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I suppose it's possible to get only 10fps difference but I am very surprised at this. A 60 grain drop in arrow weight should have produced about 30fps. I would recheck your chrono.

7. bullspotter

I figured about 25 fps or so, i was shocked to see what it was really... We shot a few other bows though the chrono that we knew what they were putting out, and they were right their where they should be. Will it have any thing to do with the low DW at 59 62 range vrs a 69 70 Dweight? Might not pick up as much at a low Dweight?? I have :noidea: Its a flat shooter though, 20 yard pin is first and measuring it, its only .59 inches to my 60 yard pin. which is pretty impressive, I will do some more messing with it and see. It dosent seem any faster when shooting it. :noidea:

8. slamdam

slamdam Senior Member

My fat boys and my hunting shafts are only 28 grains different. The fatboys shoot 300 fps and my hunting shafts are 286. Other than my 20 yard pin I didn't really change any pins. The fatboys and line jammers are good for cutting the line.

9. battman1

battman1 Junior Member

I just switched from gt hunters to ultr light pros.20 and 30 were about the same but 40 fell off quite a bit so of course 50 fell off more.I couldn't figure out why sence they were faster,but I guess it makes sence a lighter arrow will slow down faster than a heavier one does.

10. Allen

Allen Senior Member

Did you re-tune for the smaller arrows?

I doubt that a tuning issue would account for the unexpeted results, but I guess that it is possible.