Hunt club!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by kbohunt, Jun 3, 2007.

1. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Just got back from my yearly hunt club meeting,paying dues and voteing in proposals for the up comming season.
    One of the rules change bothered me!
    If a gun hunting member set a food plot & put tree stands in place,you couldnt get withen 100yds of there stands in bow season!
    Thats a crock!:mad:
    I said on my own, that if a member wasnt hunting for a month, even if they spent $500 planting & setting stands surounding the food plot, if the deer were being drawn in, i was gonna set a ground blind & shootem.
    They said with this ruleing now you cant go near it.
    Does this sound right?:noidea:

2. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

That sounds kind of crazy. Just figure out where the deer are coming to the gun hunters food plots from and cut them off before they get there. If it is good property then make the best of it and get in between the bedding area and the food.

3. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Problem!

The problem is a gas line on top of a hill surrounded by swamp.
    The deer feed on the gas line about 25 at a time in one place,easy pickins!
    The gun hunters run a tractor the width of the gas line and plant,about 500yds by 50yds right in the middle of 9 treestands
    The deer split up & leave seprate ways never the same.
    They did this because my son set up a ground blind on the side of the patch and killed 2 deer!:mad:

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

And they are going to know you were there how? Last I heard you shot that deer 125 yards away and then tracked it there :noidea:

The autumn woods belong the bow hunters... if the rifle hunters don't like it then don't plant it.

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

how many gun hunters in your club??

how many bow hunters in your club??

6. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

hunters!

There are 35 members
    6 bow hunt, 2 with crossbow
    about 25 blackpowder hunt
    all 35 gun hunt even me when gun season comes in.

My son just quit, the club, they were talkin about him & he got mad and left!
    I gave them hell, but it didnt change anything.
    Ive been in that club 23years and my son grew up there hunting.

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

well there is the problem.....how many were bowhunters that started the club originally???

8. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Bowhunters?

1 ME.
    23years ago i was the only bowhunter & 1 of 2 members that shot black powder,I still have my old hawkin!

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

that will be the problem no matter where you go......you are a bowhunter....YOU ARE THE MINORITY....not saying I agree w/there policies...:noidea:

10. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Your right!

This might be my last year in this club!
    Son never came home yet.
    Club membership filled people waiting to join,
    This will be the first year since he was 10 he couldnt hunt with me.
    Im goin to bed, yall have a nice day tomarrow.

11. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Hey there is one for sure they would not run me off.

I would try ta talk my son inta staying as there is a likelihood this is their game plan.
    keep bucking tha ruling and make em stirred up enough ta change or quite, Revenge is so sweet.

12. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Too late!

I would but its to late!
    The huntclub only takes in 35 members a year
    You have to pay dues at a certain time, which was 1 oclock last sunday
    There were 4 people waiting to join incase some members dropped out.
    My son did!
    also there is a rule that if a member drops out he cannot, hunt as a guest during regular fire arm season.(hes not allowed on huntclub property For 1 year)
    no guest are allowed in bow or blackpowder or spring turkey season anyway
    Only after the first week of the firearm season!
    I will be hunting by myself!

13. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

I feel your pain kbohunt. Our club does not have any rules like that. All club stands are open for first come first hunt. Now if you take the time and make yourself a honey hole, most of our members respect that. In fact a rather large group get together to help each other work on their spot. I have hunted others spots and they have hunted mine, but all with permission. We have over 4000 acres with only about 20 hunters on a good day. Any one is welcome to find themselves a honey hole spot and work it how they please. Most of our members choose not to enfringe on others hard work.

Last year I was out of the country for most of bow season. I had been watching a nice eight pointer. My next chance to hunt was after the opening of gun season. Another member that had a spot that he worked, about 200 yards from me was watching the same deer. We both had pictures of the same deer. I would have to say that if someone were to hunt over my food plot and kill a deer, that would have probably ticked me off. Toward the end of the season, the guy that had a spot near me came up to the camp and said that he had a nice deer down. I went and helped him get the deer and bring it back to the camp. It was the one that we had both been watching. No hard feelings there. He did it fair and square. He was at the right spot at the right time and it paid off for him. 235 lb - 19" inside spread 8 pt.

14. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

food plot!

My situation is a little bit different!
    I plant 4 main food plots every year in the same place, & have been planting for about 10years, i have 8 ladder stands set-up on them.
    During bow season all bow hunters know where they are & stay away & i stay away from them also unless i hunt with them or they with me.
    After bow & blackpowder when regular firearm season im not there much and tell all they can hunt my stands, which they do & sometimes kill some nice bucks.

The problem i have is that over the past 5 years the gunhunters have noticed how productive the food plots have become & started makeing there own.
    They have probable set-up about 20 on 2000ac.
    They dont bow or blackpowder hunt.
    My son, last year was bow hunting hard and noticed the does in that area were comeing in heat & the bucks were following them into the food plots they set.
    He got in one of there ladder stands & tagged a small buck.
    The same guy that set the stand wasnt hunting until a month later & the year before killed a 17in wide 10pt out of one of my stands & i didnt care it was in late december.

The ruleing in the club was: the day of the hunt you have to be at the club signed in to wereever by 6am, if your not someone can get in your stand.

If you construct a stand on huntclub property it becomes the property of the huntclub:ladder stands/stands nailed to trees/hangers with steps etc.
    Not climbers at the bottem of a tree or ground blinds.

The new rule: a club member at any time cannot construct a stand,set a climber,ground blind,or hunt etc. within 100yds of a personal food plot without permission.

That stinks to me, 2000acs,if they set 50 food plots & the deer are all over them where do i go?:mad:

Note: 1 club member black powder hunter has a big tractor & made a 5acre food plot, i dont bother him but how big is the plot gonna get now!:mad:

15. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

I agree with you, that is not right. We have a more land to hunt on, with only about 20 regular hunters. We have the same sign in process. If some one signs in on your spot, then they get to hunt that spot. Our club is mapped off in 66 acre blocks. When you sign in, you sign in for the block. We also have 33 club box stands on top of the member stands. One of my stands is in the same block as another hunter. He know that if I am signed in, he can still go to his stand and vise versa. We only have about 6 bow hunters for just over 4000 acres. With that much land, there is really no need to put a stand on top of another. There is a hunt club across the river from us that assigns you your spot to hunt. You can hunt in no other spot. Each member gets about 150 acres and that is his to hunt. We have free range.

We have a youth hunt every October. That is during bow season for us. Some members don't like the youth hunt because it messes up their bow hunting. I have sat at the camp during the youth hunt and sent a kid to one of my stands to kill a doe or what ever come out. I gladly give up that weekend of bow hunting for the kids.

Last year the President of our club was trying to get one of my sons to kill his first buck. Our President (Big Dog) kept sending my son to his personal stands where he had been seeing some 6 pts and 7 pts. He never got a good buck, but he did get 2 nice hogs out of there.

I hope that it all works out for you.

16. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Thanks guys!

Im fine now, i got to vent!
    Im going to look for an archery only club,& put an add up to find one!
    I feel the older i get im starting to completely move away from guns all togeather.:biggrin1:

17. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

An archery only club sounds like a good idea, we just don't have any around where I live.

When I was hunting over a mineral lick and 200 yds away a guy is hunting over a waist high Bio Logic food plot, it gets a little undermining.

I don't like some of our rules either. I agree with a 6 pt or better, but I don't agree with letting bucks with no brile tines walk because they are a 4 pt. I don't agree with letting a cow horn spike walk. The rules force us to kill any legal buck regardless of age.

My wife shot a nice little basket rack 7 pt, 1 1/2 year old. She watched several cull bucks go by that she couldn't shoot. They weren't legal for us. That little 7 pt would have been a nice deer this year, but he made sasuage before a baby. I am hoping this year, we will have some kind of cull buck rule and maybe let some of the young bucks walk untill another day.

18. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Thanks guys!

Im going to search out other options!
    Ive got 3 bowhunts to go on this year anyway so i wont be spending to much time around my hunt club after bow season.
    My son is going on 2 of them with me so ill get to hunt with him some.

Again thanks,ken:peace:

19. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

I know when my sons are not with me, hunting is not the same. I like driving up to the camp and the guys tell me that one of my sons has deer and they are going to get it, or drive up and see one haning up. I do regret that I was not with them when they killed their first deer. They were with some good friends of mine on a youth hunt because dad had to put food on the table and bullets in the guns.

20. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I'm not sure how you've missed it but this is pretty much the standard army of orange mentality. You have land, I gun hunt, let me on or i'll hunt it anyway.

I take those 2 weeks off from hunting. Let the pyscho's have it, its not worth me getting shot either on purpose or by accident. I've watched people with rifles walk within 25 yards of houses (in PA its a 100 yard min, 50 yard min for archery). I've watched them scope people (me included), I've walked through areas where I didn't feel safe because of the number of people...

overall I have a month+ where the woods belong to me (with 1 week of Muzzleloader in the middle) and another 2 weeks after Dec... those 2 weeks aren't worth it.