Hunting bow?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Dredly, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I love these "which bow is best" threads, they always provide such great an insightful information... now its my turn to ask "which bow should I buy"

here are my requirements:

32.5 MAX A2A
    30 inch draw
    70 pounds draw

and the best one:

Speed: at least 325 FPS IBO

Currently the bows I have found that hit what I'm looking for:

Parker Fronteir 2 (333 FPS IBO)
    Bowtech Tribute w/ Fast Mods (328 FPS IBO)
    Parker Hornet 2 Plus (330 FPS IBO)
    Kodiak Kinetic 2 (324 FPS IBO)

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Brace height on each bow.
    Parker Frontier2: 6-3/4"
    Parker Hornet2: 6-5/8"
    Kodiak kinetic: 7"
    Bowtech Tribute: 7-1/2"

For the bows in your list, brace height alone would settle this for me personally on a hunting bow. If you can get more brace height and maintain the speed, this is a huge plus. The bowtech would be the winner in my book.

Just my opinion.

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

yeah thats sort of what I'm thinking... except now I have to find a Bowtech Tribute, in lefty, before the season starts :doh:

4. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I loved the Tribute when I shot it. The two Parkers were a little jumpy and just did'nt feel right to me. And I've never shot the Kodiak.

So for me I would definately go with the Tribute.................that is if they did'nt make a SB XT.:biggrin1:

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I looked at the SB but the speed isn't what I want.

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

All else is perfect, except that its mathews....we cant have that right dred??? Besides that everything is perfect except the speed, so that must mean speed is everything right????

What about the turbotec?? Not sure of the measurements......

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I haven't completely ruled the SB XT out yet bud, if I can't get a Tribute in lefty I may look for an SB, they are indeed nice bows, I've drew them back but am trying not to shoot any bows until i have the money to buy :)

I have my OG for target and 3d so Size + Speed is everything, I'm not looking to shoot a 300 round with this bow, just a big buck. I am also HORRIBLE at judging yardage, a super fast bow will help me overcome that and I need a short bow for stalking and shooting out of my Summit.

I drew the line at 320 FPS because there are about 10 bows shooting in the 315 - 318 range that are also 32.5 or less A2A and I am trying to narrow my search if I can :)

As for the parker... how the heck does Parker charge 720 bux for their Fronteir 2 bow?!!?! Thats nuts!

8. Home-a-lite

Home-a-lite Member

I also hunt from a Summit stand and my Mighty Mite never comes close to hitting the stand. Would about one more inch make that much difference? What about the Allegiance ( I don't no about the lefty part or 30'' draw though)?

9. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

The allegiance is 34, which is 1 1/2 longer then what I'm really looking at and 2 1/2 inches longer then the tribute...

10. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

I'm kind new to the sport so bear with me please. I just purchased a Parker Bow for my son and he absolutely Loves it, of course with his experience he is comparing it to the PSE Nova. But, while we were getting it set up I took a look at some Parker Bows and if I was in the market for a new bow would seriously consider one for myself. It was well balanced and felt good to draw, but really you have to go with the one you like best right.

Good Luck on your search!!!

11. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

So at what point do you say "the savings are just too good to pass it up"?

Found a guy selling a Ross CR331 for 100 bux off what I could get it for at a store... which makes it 200 off the Tribute... it meets my size requirements but the speed is only 305 IBO... granted I can shoot it at 74 pounds or so which would probably get me 310 but still...

So at what point do would you archery addicts say "spend the money on a range finder" and buy the cheaper bow?

12. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

lol buy a cheaper bow so you can get a range finder!!! :laugh: :laugh: :Cry:

13. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

well buy the cheaper bow because it is just as much bow as the more expensive model and then have other money left over for toys

14. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

Dont let the price be the deciding fatctor here..... MAKE sure that its the bow you want!! If it is and you can save some$$ sweet deal, but dont just settle for it cause its a good price, buy the bow you like, and want, even if it cost a little more, it will work out better for you in the long run!!

15. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Well I don't know if I would consider a Ross CR331 as "less bow", it just isn't as fast as what I was hoping for (an abysmal 305 FPS), everything else is exactly what I want, and its 31 inches A2A, which is perfect and a respectable 7 1/2 brace height.

granted shooting 74 pounds, at 305 FPS w/ a 405 grain arrow is something like 75 pounds of KE... i guess that will pass through a tree rat huh? :laugh:

16. Home-a-lite

Home-a-lite Member

I agree with what Bullspotter has typed. But would add something else....what brand do YOU have the most confidence in. I firmly believe that most of the bows out their are very comparable in quality (Mathews, Bowtech, Hoyt, Parker, PSE/AR, Ben Pearson, etc). So which one are you most confident holding in your hand?

I really think the shooter makes the bow. How many bows won't shoot a single hole when fired from some type of machined rest or holder?

17. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I thought about that as well... To be honest (shut up you Mathews fanboys!) I would probably trust Mathews the most, i have a local pro-shop and the guy is pretty good. I also have a local Ross dealer who is supposed to be really good as well, he is a bit further away (15 mins?) so thats not an issue.

The only area Bowtech dealer is 25 mins away and i've never been to them, I didn't even know they existed until 2 days ago...

18. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

:laugh: :laugh: Mathews rules baby, cause Dredly said so!!!!!!!:biggrin1:

Main thing is buy what you have confidence in and feels right to you.

But I must say nothing feels as good as my XT guys.:peace: J/K

19. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Agreed, Dredly is the smartest man on the planet for that statement....

I think the number 1 lagitament complaint about Mathews is their grip....I myself had issues w/the grip on my Switchback, until I started letting the grip do the work, if that makes sense???

I think that us guys w/larger than normal mits have an easier time adjusting to the Mathews grip than others.....

20. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

yeah I noticed that a bit, i normally like a good sized grip, but the Mathews XT felt like I would definately torgque it because it wasn't thin enough for me to just let it wrest in my hand.