hunting in the heat

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by jkg3117, Oct 8, 2007.

1. jkg3117

jkg3117 Member

hey guy's
    It's been hot here in PA with high's in the low to mid 80's. Well i'm not exactly used to hunting in this kinda heat, and I have been seeing alot less than usual, and been having a lot of deer moving past me at night.:doh:
    Well I was hoping some of the southern guys on here could maybe share some tips for hunting this heat. Should i be moving closer to bedding areas? if so how close is too close?? Hey thanks for any light you guys can shed!! :peace:

Good luck to everyone!
    Jim

2. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

Best tip is to hunt in the mornings and fish in the evenings!!

3. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Good luck to you too.

It's been to hot to hunt here for the sake of the hunter getting mummified in the stand....
    That's changing starting tonight so the gloves are off (or on ???) and may the deer come out in droves.

Ron

4. Werd

Werd Senior Member

run an extension cord from your truck to your stand and bring a fan with =p..thats all the help i can be.

5. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha,There!

Its been hot here in Va as well.
    Sat morning when i went out it was 76degrees at 5am
    I shot a deer at 7:30am and went to him at 8:20
    After gutting him and getting back to my truck 1/4 mile away it was 9:30 and 88degrees.
    The way i hunt hot weather: Understand what has the weather been lately,Here no rain for 1 month,really this works for you.
    There are no water holes,ditches have no water and even the grass they eat wont hold moisture.
    Thurs i road buy a cow pasture in the evening and say about 20 deer near the back edge eating acorns and grass.
    Behind the pasture is oaks running down a hill with a small deep creek.
    On the otherside was a couple trails leading into a brier thick cutover that they were beading in.
    I set my stand on the trail leading into the cutover right beside the creek.
    Getting into my stand i jumped 2 deer and at first light within 1 hour i saw 6 deer and after 1 hour 1 killed 1 and while waiting 1 hour 1 more came thru.
    In hot dry weather put your self between feeding and water and bedding and you have it all covered.
    Hope this helps.
    And my stand is still there im going back thurs.and get another!:lol:

6. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I hunt in one of these when it's hot......................:lol: :lol: :lol:

7. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

If you will check out tha major feeding periods for this last few days you will find out tha it has been from7 to 10pm. so thus tha late movements.
    also if that seasons has a week on it then tha deer are adapting to tha hunter movements. Hope this helps

8. Cablegaurd21

Cablegaurd21 Senior Member

Thats Freakin awsome!!LOL:lol:

9. pilot

pilot Senior Member

It's been in the 80's around here and every deer i have seen so far has been between after 7pm near a food source or before 9am heading to a bedding area.

10. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Do you paint a target on your chest too so your buddies can see where to shoot ? :laugh:

That's funny...

Ron

11. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

When it is hot, us southern folk hunt in the early morning and late evening. Find water and bedding area and there will be a trail between them. Set up along that trail and wait.

We normaly don't see jacket weather untill after the start of gun season, which for us is the Saturday before Thanksgiving.

Then again our deer will move when it is hot, the skeeters and hunters are the weak link.