Hunting off the ground.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Cam Huff, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Cam Huff

Cam Huff Junior Member

Hey Guys, I was wondering if any of you hunt off the ground, especially since these new pop up blinds have come about. My very first bow kill came off the ground years ago and I have taken about three since and lost a couple more. I primarly hunt from a tree stand but have found some places you can't really climb and still stay in range or you stick out like a sore thumb because the deer come through the woods looking up. Whats yalls experiences. Thank, Cam

2. jimposten

jimposten Senior Member

Last winter I did some ground hunting, I got bored with sitting in the tree, so I started some stalking and sitting, I did a bunh in the snow, I would dig little mini snow blinds, I got close a couple of times, but never connected. It was a copletely different rush, and that kind of a hunt makes time fly. No real waiting.

JIM

3. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

I learned somewhere, when you climb, go as high as you can and still see to shoot. After the leaves fall, that can be way, way up. I've had deer going along intently looking up into the trees also. I found out it was because they got educated by hunters who were too low and got seen. Young deer are too naive to learn fast, but older deer get smart real fast. Gotta change locations as the leaves fall, and go high and off to the sides of the trail.
    I've stayed in tees well after dark because deer were under and around my stand tree at sunset, and I didn't want to school them.
    Are you hunting a heavily pressured area? Like Urban or near Urban?
    And, Welcome Aboard, Cam Huff.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  4. Cam Huff

Cam Huff Junior Member

Sniper, I hunt 99% of the season on a federal refuge. Occasionally I'll get a invite to hunt at a club. The refuge where i hunt starts off great the first two weeks, however squirrel season then opens up and that runs the deer out for a few weeks till things settle down but any chance for wall hangers are overe till the rut.

5. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

"Federal refuge" as in Military base?

6. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha,Cam!

Ive hunted in just about every situation with a bow.
    Stalking down a river edge or flowing creek edge is one of my favorites.
    Ive hunted from a blind for turkeys several times but deer only once or twice.
    Ive sat on a ridge overlookin rivers that were stright down 40yds from me,took a nice buck there!
    Blinds are ok,but i like to free range more for deer,if i sit in one place ill go high in my summit 25ft or better over a food plot!:peace:

7. Cam Huff

Cam Huff Junior Member

Sniper, This is the St.Catherine Wildlife Refuge located in Southwest Mississippi, right on the river about 10 minutes south of Natchez. It's bow and muzzel loader only. Its around 10K plus acres. Many 125-150 class have been taken since it opened in 1993. $12.50 permit and out of state liscense will get you in. If you ever come to Natchez Ms. Look me up and I'll take you down there.

8. gmherps

gmherps Senior Member

all of my kills except 1 has come from a ground blind, and all but 4 have come from a Double Bull Matrix. Love the ground, love the safety:rockon:

9. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

HAve not did much ground hunting although it is like being pluged into 220v. i got within 13 yards of a bedded doe one time . What a rush.

i do like trees tha best and spend most of my time in em.

10. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

They got pigs?

11. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

I am thinking of trying some spot and stalk this year as well, but it is pretty hard to do in the Texas hill country. I am also going to set my tent up in some odd places just to see if I can catch a big boy slipping. We primarily hunt over corn feeders and the big boys never come there...just young bucks and does. Every now and again you spot a big un coming close during the rut because he has lost his mind. I have to go back up there and do some stand moving at some point this summer....but I can't figure out where to put em!

12. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

I like hunting on the ground, but I also enjoy the advantages of a Treestand. Different areas and different game call for different tactics:cool:

13. Cam Huff

Cam Huff Junior Member

Yep, Plenty some will go up to 150-200lbs

14. thehairlessone!

thehairlessone! Senior Member

I use both treestands and a double bull. It all depends on the situation to me. I have been hunting from a double bull for probly 8 yrs. now and I love them.

rick

15. Scablands

Scablands Member

All the deer I've take have been from spot and stalk/ seek and hide at ground level. It's a total rush getting close on the ground up close and personal. Tried a pop up ground blind once but it was too hot to sit inside. One buck came by but was too small to shoot, finally got out and sat in the shade of the blind.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  16. Kyfoster11

Kyfoster11 Junior Member

I love hunting of the ground. I would rather be in a tree, but there are times that the ground is where it is at. My family has taken some great deer of the ground. My brother killed his biggest deer off the ground. 145" 10 pt with a droptine. He shot it at 8yds when he rattled it in. If you are hunting a bew spot you arent sure about taking the time to hang a stand, try a ground bling first to see what is in the area.
    If your scent is controled right, you shouldnt have anything to worry about.
    hunt safe
    kentucky k

17. Coon

Coon Junior Member

I am scared to deth of anything taller than me......so I stays on the ground. You won't see this big ass dude fallin from any tree.

18. gmherps

gmherps Senior Member

lmfao!:rockon:

19. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

You mean 30 feet is too High?:noidea:

20. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

Fo those of you that use blinds, Do you leave them out? I would be afraid of it getting stolen.