Hunting Regulations...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by IChim2, Dec 29, 2007.

1. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

just wondering if most are happy with their state hunting regulations...and if not,what would you like to see changed.Missouri has some good deer hunting but in the southeren part,the big one's are few and far inbetween.If i could pick only one thing to change....i would like to see the "earn a buck rule".I think it would greatly improve the buck population and also maybe get a better population of bigger one's.

2. dzingale

dzingale Senior Member

In NY I would change the age of hunting for children. Archery should be 12 and not 14. and gun should be 14 and not 16. By the time they are old enough to hunt they want to do other things.

3. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Hold on to your hat IChim, many changes to come in 2009 for the Missouri deer season. There are a series of MDC meetings coming up very soon to get the public imput and let you know what changes may (are) coming up. First thing you will see is the anterless season being moved to sometime in October. Second, the firearms portion of the deer season will be moved back a week later and run over the Thanksgiving holiday. Another will probably be an increase in the number of counties to go under a antler restriction. Currently there are 29 counties that have the 4 point rule. Expect to see more. There will also be some changes in the ML portion of the season. Check the MDC website for the dates and locations of the meetings, the could get very interesting :biggrin1:

4. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

In Indiana I think the DNR has done a pretty good job. There is a couple things I would like to see change. I would like to see when you buy a deer tag it is good for the entire legal limit in all seasons. In Indiana you have to buy a single license for every deer you shoot so it goes something like this.

2 deer Archery for a total of $48
    1 antlered deer Firearms $24
    1 deer Muzzelloader $24
    And you are allowed bonus antlerless deer based on the set county quotas. In my county it is 2 for another $24 for the first and $15 for each additional. Now you can purchase additional antlerless tags and use them in other counties. So if I just stayed in my county and hunted and took all of the deer I am allowed it would look like this.
    $48
    $24
    $24
    $24
    $15
    ------
    $135

One law that Indiana does have is you are only able to kill one antlered buck during all of the seasons. I can tell you this folks it has increased the number and quality of bucks I have seen in the last few years in my area.

They also started a new youth only hunt the week before Archery season started this year.

5. kateslilhunter

kateslilhunter New Member

I hate to hear about them moving the season back a week. That will mess with my Arkansas plans. Also moving the doe season into October will increase the pressure on the deer and make it harder for bowhunters. I know alot of bowhunters that won't even go near the woods during any firearms season. I do alot of hunting in Madison county and with the earn a buck program, I don't know how that will work. The doe population isn't like the rest of the state in the aspect. I think a point restriction would be great. :usa:

6. IChim2

I can live with most of those changes.I'm all for moving it back a wk...even 2.Our summers are getting longer and we don't get the cold weather we once did.I can remember when the fire arms season use to run through TGing and the temps were better for hunting.

7. IChim2

Your not suppose to be bow hunting during fire arms season....archery is closed for that period.

8. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

yep!

I would like Virginia 2 change a few.

1: 1 buck rule in each hunting weapon season.
    Not 3 in all take your pic.
    or earn a buck would work.
    At my huntclub we have a board with all the kills and i noticed some thing that i didnt like.
    35 members (as of last sat) have taken 83 deer 71 were bucks
    Only 8 were getting mounted.
    Last year it was pretty even with a total of 81deer and 52 were bucks.
    we would have alot of trophy deer if they only let us take 1 buck but 4 now 3 a piece.
    Thats why theres 50 does running around with no bucks now.
    I did hunt in the ran on christmas day and passed up a small 8pt with 5does
    so maybe they will change it.:noidea:
    Until they do im gonna fill my freezer.:biggrin1:

9. bowhunter21

bowhunter21 Junior Member

connecticuts suck

i wanted to hunt yotes cause the ate are cats and i need a license i was planning on getting on so i looked in to it and the freaking state dosent have any classes right now and the season for coyotes closes 31 on this month but it open up next month but im 14 ands i need a adult with a license and i dont have any person to go with me :frusty: :censored: :frusty: :censored:

10. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Actually IChim2, you can bowhunt during any portion of the firearms season, the only stipulation is that during the main portion (Nov 10th - 20th the regular rifle season) if you hunt with a bow, you must tag your deer with a firearms tag and wear Orange while bowhunting. Now during the anterless portion of the season, regular archery season is also open so your archery tag will work, but during the anterless portion you must still wear orange.

The only place that you don't have to wear orange (during any portion of the firearms season) is an area designated by the state as a "Archery Only" area.

Hope this makes sence for you. :D

11. IChim2

Your right....i left out the part...unless you have a firearms deer permit...My bad.

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I agree...

I also think late archery season should be longer...at least til 12/31...
    this 9 days of after rifle is a joke...

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

lets make all of NY ARCHERY ONLY.......I mean come on the houses are getting closer......

14. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

No Way...There's plenty of places to hunt in this state...If you don't mind pressured areas.
    Regular season is fine...so is early archery, I just feel there should be a longer late season...

15. tedicast

tedicast Member

The only thing I can complain about is not being able to hunt on Sundays. I would also like to see the January season expanded to cover more of the state then just zones 11, and 12, or at least make it to include state land in those areas, not just private.

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

no i think this is a good idea......ARCHERY only......only the ELITESTS will continue to hunt, like you and me.......everyone else will give up and not hunt anymore.....and leave all the deer to me and a select few............

17. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

hmmm where to start...

1. No hunting on Sundays
    2. Rifle Season during Archery Season
    3. Tag allocation and limits
    4. "special seasons" in 3 zones
    5. Muzzle Loader season during archery season (not flintlock... nothing like being out there with people using Inlines)
    6. Stupid breaks in the season... ex 2 weeks before rifle season = no archery, 2 weeks after hunting season = no season at all... wtf?
    7. Either a BOW or RIFLE not both... how am i supposed to kill 10 tree rats a day when I can only carry 4 arrows?

Why aren't Tree-Rats considered pests? why do I have to wait for a season to kill them? I

18. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Ya don't in Indiana if they are causing damage to something?...:peace: Dredly I think you should see if the DNR in your state would rent you a U-Haul....:lol: :lol: :lol:

19. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Member

Iam happy...........

I think iam happy with Oklahoma's regs,we have a long deer season theirs some huge bucks roamin,during gun just wear a camo/blazer hat......ummmm ok i wish they shorten gun season to one week,they made it 2 weeks long with 2 extra 3day weekends at the end of the year.............:wave: