hunting tricks

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by kbohunt, Apr 20, 2007.

1. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

I know you hunter's have a lot of tricks in your set up on deer,climbing stand, scent control, calling tech's, camo patterns that work better?
    You tell yours and ill tell mine!!!:laugh:

Not what you read in mags what u tried and works?
    Dont tell all, just tell one,and well all be alittle smarter this comming season!:biggrin1:
    After a few post ill tell mine,
    hint: no string Iv been doing it for years.:laugh:

2. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Primos --- The Estrous Can.

Has worked many times. Brought deer from 100 yards to 5 yards in seconds.

3. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Good trick!

Come on bowhunters tell your secret's
    Im gonna tell mine!
    It's gonna save you time & money!
    It's been right in front of your nose all these year's and i bet you havent noticed it!
    HINT: it combines 3-d & huntin!:laugh:

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

The best product in the world is the Scent-Eliminator spray w/ dirt scent. The stuff. I have had deer walk within 10 - 20 yards from downwind and they haven't scented me.

The stuff is cheap, works great and is ALWAYS in my pack!

5. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Hey Big D, Sure did miss ya .

Does this include that Button Buck ya tagged this year>:biggrin1: Smokes

6. Holy Smokes

What is a string IV KBH?

I wil post some tips latter .

i am bushed and it is past my bed time.. Smokes

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

the deer I nailed this year actually walked up under the stand and ate 2 or 3 of the branches I cut out of the tree on the way up. then walked a few yards away before I could get a shot on him :)

8. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

<<< Secrets>>>>

OK, it seem's like a lot of you are hideing alot of hidden secret's,so ill show you one of mine.
    I was shooting 3-d back in 1980 and went hunting in october and realized that i was wasting alot of time moveing treestands tying string to them pulling bow & tackle up,harnessing up to get ready, so i cut one thing that took alot of time out of the set-up to make it faster!!!! why use a string?
    This is what i use & still use today! if u dont use it try it,it will save you time.:biggrin1:

9. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

I use a string to pull my pack and bow up, All my stands are up year around so i dont deal with that,but i sure would hate to have my bow flopping around on my back, and getting snaged up on branches and stuff, no way to turn around to get it un cought, theirs alot of cover i need to get though going up to several of my stands, would be a great idea if it was clean getting into my stand, but i would also hate to fall on my bow going up a tree if something were to go wrong....

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I have forgoten my pull up rope before and used the rope i tie around the tree that my saftey harness attached too.....works but would not liketo have to do it all the time.....

11. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

When climbing I use the piece of nylon strap that is supposed to be used to wrap the 2 pieces together as a pull up strap. works wonders and 1 less thing I have to carry

12. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

no string

:biggrin1: If you try it you wont go back to rope or string.
    In some situations,you cant us it like heavy brush,but i havent ran into any.
    you dont put it were you see in the photo that was just an illistration on a trypod i practice from.
    you put it in the very center of your back.
    & bowman remember the big buck i talked about were i hugged the tree,the bow was on the ground 3 feet under me.
    that was the one time i forgot it, went to my sons stand that had a string.
    In the past 10 years i have been comeing down a tree in the rut, 2 times a doe ran past, turned around got set and killed the buck, im tell a secret that really works try it. 6 bowhunters are in my huntclub seen me walk up steps on hanger/lockons in 1 minute turn around & your set, they all usem now.
    I use a wide pack belt,with 5 packs on it with,calls trigger,waterbottle etc.
    when you put the hook between them it is like a cushion the bow dosnt flop around.:biggrin1:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  13. QDAWG44

QDAWG44 Junior Member

here is my tip- Spooking alot of deer goin too and from your stand during the twilight hour? I beleive when you spook deer in the dark that sometimes they never actually get a clear visual of whats making the unnatural racket in there living room. Deer can distinguish the sounds of danger coming through the woods (a hunter) by the sounds of human footsteps. I now imitate the sounds of a deer skipping through the leaves and have noticed a dramatic difference on the amount of deer that spook. They are always looking and wondering, and you know how curioius they can be. Going to the stand, I have thrown in a grunt or two and have actually attracted rutting bucks to my setup. But get ready fast !!!!!! Give this a try, you would be surprised on how deer ease up when they hear natural sounds of wildlife (which usually flurishes during these lowlight hours anyway). Try to use your tip toes and take a step, stop, take a couple more, and so on. You may look like you escaped a mental institution, but we all know how important it is to keep deer in your hunting area unaware of human disturbance.

14. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Great trick!!!

I read this kind of thing one time in a mag. where a bowhunter instead of walking to his stand in the dark would run to his stand flushing deer on the way, said it didnt givem time to circle you & smell you & it worked. thank's good trick!:biggrin1:

15. Holy Smokes

I am always very careful with the shuttin of my truck door. All you will hear is when tha latch as it clicks . I always hold tha door handle button in till i get it secure.
    Never hutrs ta grease all those door hinges on tha topper either.

I use a mineral oil on all my gear including bow axles. No smell.

16. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

great trick smokes

I think everybody try's to be as quiet as possible, but the mineral oil on your bow i never thought of that!!!!!
    SMOKES NO/SCENT OIL $5.99 an ounce.:laugh:

17. Holy Smokes

How many do ya want? :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

18. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

how many!

50 Im gonna sell 25 to bowman.:laugh:
    Na, but im really gonna try it!
    what u think about olive oil ?:laugh:

19. Holy Smokes

It would make a good pasta dish. And a good cover scent in a olive tree stand:laugh: :laugh: site

20. Holy Smokes

Heres one for tha fellars that use a wrist strap.

take a piece of velcero and sew it ta your strap now take a little longer piece that will adhere ta tha other one and sew it on one end only.
    You are ready to slip your release on tha one piece on that strap and secure it down with tha(2nd) other on.
    Great for keepin' it out of tha way while climbin' and movin' around.