Hunting without a blind?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Onyx Z, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

I'm talking about just leaning up against a tree with some camo and scent blocker. I'm not ready to spend a bunch of money on a ground blind or tree stand for this deer season. I'm just a broke college student. Maybe next season.

So anyone hunt without a blind or tree stand?

2. Werd

Werd Senior Member

no. i have but the only real reason i hunt in a t stand is because the higher elevation. all the green you cant see threw it. so have at it and hunt ur hardest on the ground

3. SinGin

SinGin Banned

You could always make a ground blind with some tree limbs

4. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

yah i was thinking about getting a camo burlap bag, like what comes with some tripods. Then lean some brush from the area up against it.

5. SinGin

SinGin Banned

And that way you don't have to worry about someone stealing it. It would look a little more natural too.

6. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

It can be done. I have made ground blinds out of the surrounding foilage and tree limbs. Put it in the right spot and it will work. Just not as portable:biggrin1:

7. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Cheap Blind!

Ha, there
    Hunting on the ground without a blind is great!
    Ive done it alot,I have no real ground blind and i dont like them,like shooting out of a camo.tent!
    I made a cheap blind with a camo mesh mat for blind makeing for $4.99 at wal-mart And went to lowes and bought 4 tomato stakes and set them up in a box shape draped it over and got my staple gun out and made it.
    Just roll it up tote it in the woods and set it up and put ur chair in it!
    Ive got 9 different tree stands i use but sometimes i still pull my little cheap blind out!
    Hope this helps!:biggrin1:

8. killbambidead

killbambidead bambi killer

go pick up some camo fabric and 2/3 pieces of rebar or sumthin and make a blind thats wat we did my first year huntin and it worked mighty fine

9. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Like those guys said...
    Make yourself scent camo'd and worry less about sight camo'd.
    The idea of putting some tree limbs and foliage around you as well as kbo's suggestion of putting up a simple blind.

Worry more about scent control, not so much about sight.

Good luck and have fun.

Ron

10. jkg3117

jkg3117 Member

i have three blinds that i have been tending.. I make mine early in the spring or maybe into june. I like to give them lots of time to get used to em..... I don't know if i need to give em that much, but it can't hurt! i try to make em two and a half to maybe three feet deep. You need to have enough to concelment to draw the bow. I also try to make them in a downed tree when i can. I think the look a lot more natural!

if your on the ground you got to watch yer sent BIG time! don't hunt if you don't have the wind! I ruined a good spot last year by trying to hunt the wrong wind! I had an 8 point wind me, and i never saw him after that!:censored:

good luck, Jim

11. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Senior Member

i have killed dear sitting under a tree in blujeans and a camo shirt.... scent control beats and stand or camo they make.... keep yuour clothes smelling like the outdoors, keep yourself scent free, check the wind direction, then the next most important thing is be still..... i now where a guille parka and hunt the ground 90 percent of the time while i also have a climber and a lean to .... nothing beats getting close while sitiing in their space.....

12. gmherps

gmherps Senior Member

I have killed deer naked, while whistling "Here we go again, same ol' sh&& again". Just kidding

Cut some cedar and make you some shooting lanes. Just be prepared to be VERY VERY still, for a VERY VERY long time! Good luck man!:rockon:

13. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

I bet you can spot a cactus from a mile away..:lol:

14. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Just some advice

I know a lot of hunters that hunt on the ground, just try to find some good natural cover, like and area with a couple fallen trees or build somthing up, one place I hunt I have a mess of fallen logs and I sit right in the middle of them. If the wind is right I will hunt that spot, but I usually stick to treestands. Good luck.

15. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Move slow, Hunt the wind, And practice good scent control.
    I would put all my hunting clothes on and get my bow and draw an arrow while you are in the quiet of your house. Murphy's Law states, Any noise will be even louder when a deer is standing in front of you.:doh:

Good luck and have fun

16. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Senior Member

Hmmm ... Aggies tend to do things a little different you know :laugh: :laugh:

17. Liv2Bowhunt

Liv2Bowhunt Senior Member

Indians did it with stick bows and rocks for broad heads. I have killed a few from the ground, it is a littl more chalenging, but can be done. make shift blinds will help, play the wind and keep that scent down.:peace:

18. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Use the natural cover...I do it all the time...
    Keep movement to a minimum and be aware of your silouette...