I actually got to shot 3D today

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Chris, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Well, I finally got some time to shoot a 3D today. Went to Blackhawk Field Archers in Shirland IL. It's actually the first outdoor 3D I've shot all year. I felt I did pretty well. I didn't shoot great but my yardage was decent and my shots were good most of the time. The course was pretty easy though and I had a good time shooting with a couple friends.

2. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Glad you got out Chris.
    The owner, manager, and staff at our local archery shop often work on Saturday and Sunday. If they are lucky enough to have a shoot in the area that day, they can shoot, then rush to open the store. I feel sorry for them. They make a living from archery, but can't have fun doing it.
    The opportunuity is seldom available to them.
    Shooting in the store just ain't the same.

3. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

Well??? What was the score? Don't be gettin shy on us now!

4. pilot

pilot Senior Member

Well i still haven't shot my first competition yet...but i do shoot the 3D course at our local club at least once every weekend for practice. Now I couldn't imagine going months with no 3D shooting...:frusty:

5. Chris

My score was 292 for a 30 target course.

6. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

That's pretty good.

Hey Chris, have you ever shot up in Richmond, IL ? There's a club up there someplace off of RT 31/12 North of Mchenry. Just curious if you know anything about it.

Ron

7. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I'm glad you got to get out and shoot one, Chris. :thumb:

I haven't shot one all year due to an ankle injury. :Cry:

8. Chris

I haven't shot there in a long time. That is Midwest Cimmarron. They used to be part of the Midwest Archery Championship group of clubs but I think they dropped out or something.

9. Hook Em

I would say 8 down while never getting to go shoot is VERY good! I have a shoot this weekend and I am hoping to shoot even for the first time...we shall see :noidea:

10. Chris

The two guys I was with both beat me though. One shot 297 and the other shot 300. It was kind of a strange shoot. It's their classic shoot and which has two running targets. You pull the cord and the animal runs down a wire and you shoot it on the move. I shot 8 on one and a 5 on the other.

11. Hook Em

those moving targets can be tough for sure. At our pop-up shoot I just couldn't get the timing right on the moving gator. Shot 8 and 5 on it as well!

12. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Glad to hear you got to do some shootin Chris. And I'd say for your first outdoor shoot 292 is very good.:peace:

13. Werd

Werd Senior Member

...never been to a shoot.......how is the scoring? like how do you get scored

14. Timmer

Timmer Member

Most shoots I've been to are IBO scoring. That is with the 12 ring centered in the 10 ring. ASA scoring has the 12 ring offset to the inside edge of the 10 ring.

Scoring:
    Small center ring is 12
    Next ring size up is a 10
    Next larger area is an 8 (this is irregular shaped)
    Rest of body is 5
    Miss is ZERO

At least that's how all the scoring is at the ones I've been to. Did go to one indoor tourney that had 14 point rings using the ASA style scoring system.

You can go to Rinehart and they have a downloadeable scoring sheet for their targets. Gives you a good example of scoring rings.

15. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

thats not bad at all chris. Even for your first one this year. Did you shoot from the hot shot stakes too?