I am going to make a target

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Wheely, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

So I have been thinking about making me a carpet target. I thought about cardboard, but with all the rain we get here, I just think it would get too soggy.

Anyhoo, What do you people use to tighted up your carpet targets?:noidea:

How thick to you make them so the arrow won't shoot through? 1-1.5 feet thick enough?

Does it matter what kind of carpet?

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I started to make one myself once. I cut my carpet 12" deep. I was going to stack it between 2 1" x 10" boards and compress it with threaded rod on the ends. I found a bag target for $20 before I finished so it is still sitting there with about 5 " of carpet....:laugh:

3. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I would think you could stack the carpet on a pallet, lay a piece of treated plywood on top, and compress it down with a ratchet strap. IChim2 has made 2 or 3 of them. He'll probably weigh in and tell you how to do it.

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

The boards/allthread is probably the best way of compressing the carpet.
    I do know that if you use indoor/outdoor carpet (the green or brown 'shiny' type) your arrows will melt the material and it will stick to the arrow shaft. It comes right off with your hand but it's a bit of a pain. I shoot into one of those once in a while...

The target is about 30-32" square and maybe 18 inches deep. It's planty big enough to hang up a 5 spot target face and then some . I'll take a pic of it the next time I shoot there and send it to you.

Ron

5. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

6. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

what Ronhop said. we made 2 at the club and the arrows were almost impossible to get out. I made one with the black fiber board. 4X8 sheets cut into 4 foot by 12 inch strips. first one worked good for about 4 years. made another one. the boards had to much tar on them. could not get the arrows out. that is when I found out there is two types of fiber board. this is a easy way to make a target, but get the right kind of fiber boards.

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I'm curoius what black fiber board you guys used...

Yet another thing to not make targets with I guess...

Ron

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

This stuff used to be worthwhile at a good price... not anymore. 5 years ago you could make a 4 foot target for less then 150.00. the price of board is MUCH higher now then it used to be.

The best stuff to use is the non-lined sound board from all reports... Personally I'd pass on it. I've shot the stuff at Jay Are's range (the board stuff) and they are definately shot to death and the arrows get crap on them.

The best is still either a bag target or cardboard in my opinion.

oh yeah... and carpet and the wood weigh a bit! Bag targets are easily moveable

9. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Wheels for around 90 to $100 bucks you can buy yourself a Morrell Range bag target. Put ya up a frame in the yard and hang it. I built the frame out in my yard this year cause I already had another bag. Next spring I am gonna hang me a brand new Morrel out their. Those targets are great 2 finger arrow removal and they last a long time........:peace:

10. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

this is why I am Making one. I am sure Brent would let me spend the money, but I can think of higher priorities to spend it on. (2 little girls)

11. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Head to a carpet place and get some discarded remnants and go from there...
    It costs cash to throw stuff away so why not ask to take if from their hands for free ?

Just go for it and I think you'll be surprised.

Ron

12. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

My dad and brothers lay carpet, so it shouldn't be too hard to get some :biggrin1:

13. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

I think the next target I build will be a rag target. build about a 4 foot frame with chicken wire on the front and back and stuff it with rags. here there is a place called Rags or Us. you can get a 500 lb. bale of rags for around 30.00 bucks. problem is I dont know what to do with the left over rags I will have. I'm thinking when I cut the bands I will have rags ever were. anyone need some shop rags.:biggrin1:

14. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I have never heard of a rag target :noidea: Aren't you afraid your arrows will hit the wire?

15. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Wheels...these targets of mine are 20" deep and i use a ratchet strap to snug them together "and the key word here is snug".You'll need to test it several times. I'm not disagreeing with Ron about getting a residue on your shafts caused by the friction of the arrow entering the target...but i haven't encountered it and i shoot alum's and a/c/c's.Although my targets are fairly large...5' x 5' x 20" deep.....a good size would be 3' x 3' x 20" deep.I love mine.:biggrin1:

16. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

no. the wire is very small diameter and doesn't hurt the arrows. if you are worried about that you could use a nylon net. I saw one like that. I dont know how good it held up,are were they got the net. I do know that va. state road uses it to control erosion. :noidea:

17. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Thanks guys, as soon at Alyssa starts preschool, I am going to start collecting supplies :biggrin1:

18. Werd

Werd Senior Member

haha. are your girls gonna shoot too?

19. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

hey you got me thinking. I'm wondering if we had the targets to tight. that might be why we got residue and hard to get out. I wish we could use carpet. it would be a lot cheaper than the selsor bales we buy. and would last a lot longer I think.

20. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

When I can get them bows, I am sure they will. We tried the toy bows once and they loved them, until they broke all the arrows:doh: