I just purchased my first bow

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by mrgrinch233, Oct 15, 2007.

1. mrgrinch233

mrgrinch233 Junior Member

First off, Hello to all. I've been meening to get into the art of archery for a while, and purchased a used bow sight unseen and have never held a bow before. It is a Fred Bear Whitetail Hunter, It won't be in my hands for another 3 days. I don't know anything about bows and am really glad I found this place. I know there are some of you with great knowledge that I will be needing from time to time. Hopefully I will learn and be able to pass it on, as I do in the pistol and rifle forums I belong to. Does anyone know anything about this type of bow? I will only be using it for target. I'll post pics as soon as I have it. Thanks. I hope this doesn't end up costing me as much as when I started shooting pistols, LOL:doh: :laugh:

2. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

First thing to do when you get it is to take it to a proshop. Have them check it out. Strings, limbs etc. You're going to have to get it fitted for you. Draw length, poundage, peepsight placement etc. It's not like guns. Bows are more personel. My best advice is to definetly take it to a Proshop and talk with them there. As far as the bow goes I'm not familiar with it but I'm sure a lot of the other people here know about it. And then Practise, Practise, Practise!

Welcome to the site, Good luck with your bow and don't get discouraged.:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

3. mrgrinch233

thanks MO. I was searching for a proshop in my area and the closest thing is 100 miles away in Las Vegas. I guess i'll be going on a road trip soon. I sure hope some high dollar bow doesn't end up following me home, I'll be in the doghouse for sure. I did meet a gentleman at my daughters school that says he was into competition archery for over 20 years and is a bow hunter. He said he would be more then happy to help me out with anything he can. Well I'm off to check the FAQ's. I can't wait to get my bow in my hands.

4. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Question!

Is this a 6 wheel bear whitetail hunter?
    Or a 2 cam Bear whitetail hunter?
    Or the bear whitetail hunter II ?
    The reason im asking is that im familier with all 3
    I have owned 2 of them and have worked on and shot all 3
    The 6 wheel whitetail hunter is very old they stopped makeing them some 24years ago.
    The whitetail hunter and the hunter II they stopped makeing around 8 years ago.
    If ya need any more info let me know!:biggrin1:
    And :welcome: to the great world of archery,and to a great forum!:wave:

5. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I still have my bear whitetail hunter II that I bought when it was new. I cant seem to part with it. It has killed more deer than any other bow. Though its the only bow that I've had for over 15 years...:laugh:

6. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Yep!

Heres a pic of me with my first compound.
    This was 27 years ago and a small spike buck!
    A Bear whitetail hunter-6 wheel compound.:biggrin1:

7. mrgrinch233

That looks like her, Kbo. Was that a decent bow in it's day? I guess this will be the one I use to learn some basic skills as soon as I get it in my hands.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  8. mrgrinch233

I came home today and my bow was here. It is the 6 wheel Bear Whitetail hunter. It's in very good condition, the only thing I see wrong is the plastic coating on the cable cracked near the 2 big wheels. Other then that it looks like a good starter. The arrow rest it has on it looks like a little wire called a flipper rest-II, It's on there with doule sided tape. What i don't see is a hole for a different type of rest. I'll be trying it out in the morning and will post pics and how my experience went. Oh and one more thing, how do I secure a peep sight on the string. Does it just sit there between the strings or do I have to with a fancy knot?

9. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

keep an eye on that cable then. check for splinters. if your not sure take it to get a look through. also, you should take it in for a lube job and have it totally inspected. Just to make sure all is ok.. When and if you decide you ar ready for a new bow. Let us know what your looking at possibly spending. Theres alot of knowledge here that might help you narrow some good bows down for you. good luck!!!

10. mrgrinch233

Thanks Pinwheel, I'll take it in as soon as I can. Looking through the phone book I found an archery proshop about 20 minutes away. I'll go there and get friendly and see wht they can do for me as far as checking, lubing and tuning my bow. Hopefully they can give me some pointers too. I will also see about them drilling a hole so I can put a different style arrow rest. I really do not like the one it has, called a flipper restII. I would like something that holds the arrow in place better. Thanks again guys.

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

are you aware of your man boobs??? dude, photo shop them bad girls out.......

12. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

What!

Man,this photo is so old, a shop cant help it!:noidea:
    And any why u lookin!:laugh: