i need help deciding...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by SlangByT, Jul 11, 2006.

1. SlangByT

SlangByT Junior Member

hi, i have been offered a hoyt striker II that has brand new (old) reflex limbs (fiberglass i think, not split) and a merlin max 2000 with max 3000 limbs. the guy offering them to me is a friend of mine, and owns a bow shop, hence the new limbs... both the bows are going for the same price, but the hoyt comes with an arrow rest, hunting pin sight and is in anodised camo, whereas the merlin is a bare bow with no rest or sight, and is anodised blue...

because he is my friend, and is giving them to me at a reasonable price, i cannot ask him which one is the better deal...

i have been shooting recurve for about 3 years, and really want to get a compound, as i have never owned one, but shot one a few times...

please will you give me any opinions, thanks.

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Welcome first of all!!!!

Shoot both and see which one feels better in your hands, then you will have your own opinion of which one is the better deal.

3. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

If it were me I'd be a shootin a Merlin just because not many people do.

It's kinda like why I scuba dive. Anybody can play golf.

4. SlangByT

SlangByT Junior Member

hey, thanks for the replies. i am going to pick up the bows tomorrow and hopefullly get to shoot them, and see what they feel like.

i do like the merlin, and it was the top of merlin range a few years back... the hoyt is probably a better hunting bow though... aaaah so many variables... i will have to see when i shoot them...

hey bfisher, i cant play golf for shit!!!

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I strongly suggest shooting them, forget that "because noone else has one" thing. The reason everyone shoots what they do is because its what they like.

If your looking for hunting then the camo will come in handy as opposed to a shiney merlin. Also, although the Merlin is the same price figure at least 100 (min) in accessories, sight, rest, setup... so assume that the merlin costs more when you are shooting them.

If both feel the same go with the Hoyt, if the Merlin feels signifigantly better go with that one.

good luck :)

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I strongly suggest shooting them, forget that "because noone else has one" thing. The reason everyone shoots what they do is because its what they like.

If your looking for hunting then the camo will come in handy as opposed to a shiney merlin. Also, although the Merlin is the same price figure at least 100 (min) in accessories, sight, rest, setup... so assume that the merlin costs more when you are shooting them.

If both feel the same go with the Hoyt, if the Merlin feels signifigantly better go with that one.

good luck :)

7. Ex-Okie

Ex-Okie Junior Member

The striker 2 was a very good bow. The only Merlin I owned or shot was a different model than the one you are looking at, don't remember the model but I did not like it at all. It might fit you just fine though, like everyone says just see which feels and shoots the best for you.

8. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I know I am sounding like a broken record but you have to make the decision on your own. We can all tell you to get the Hoyt but that does not mean it is right for you. Dredly makes a good point if you plan on hunting the camo would probably be the better choice but if the Merlin feels and shoots better for you remember you can always use some camo wrap around tape on it. I hope you the best of luck in you decision.

bfisher I can hit golf balls but I do not play golf.:biggrin1: I'm a HACKER:peace:

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

So Frank that makes two things that give you trouble......Golf and Archery....

Come on with all of the WB comments you have had on me lately you new something was comming.......:laugh:

10. SlangByT

SlangByT Junior Member

thanks guys. i am picking them up this weekend, hopefully later today, and will shoot them a bit. i will hopefully be able to tell you early next week which one i am going for...

thanks for the interest.

11. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Yep......I knew it would come back on me sooner or later.:biggrin1: So Touche' to you Adam.:peace:

12. SlangByT

SlangByT Junior Member

taking them both out tonight to shoot together... i have shot them both individually, but cant remember which one i liked more... haha... the hoyt is really powerful, while the merlin feels smoother...

13. SlangByT

SlangByT Junior Member

i went for the merlin in the end, picked it up yesterday, man it is a beautiful machine... the guy through in a quick tune rest and sight, and put on new strings... i bought a bag for it too, and then had just enought money to buy a single arrow for it, haha, will have to turn the knocks on my recurve arrows...

thanks for the help.

14. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

:rockon: Congrats on you new bow. It only takes one arrow to kill a deer. :peace: