I wonder what happened to my corn

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by wvbowhunter, Feb 27, 2008.

1. wvbowhunter

wvbowhunter wvbowhunter

I got my new game camera for christmas and put it next to my deer feeder and left it up there for 2 weeks to see what i could get pictures of. when i brought the card home to see what the pictures where like i found out that i had more coon pictures than deer pictures. also the deer where to stupid to figure out how to get the corn out. on the other hand the coons were getting the corn out with ease. im starting to get frustrated. is there any advice to get rid of the coons since the season ends the 29th?:help:

2. Skewtir

Skewtir New Member

Shoot 'em....:lol: :lol: ....given they're in season. Heck, it'll give you some practice and at the very least, a nice coon skin hat :peace: :peace:

3. wvbowhunter

wvbowhunter wvbowhunter

i'd love to shoot them but would i have to have dogs or just set up there and wait until the flash goes off on my camera and then shine the flashlight and shoot?:noidea:

4. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

A well placed live trap and some cat food will catch ya more coons than you'll ever be able to shoot. Place the trap away from your feeder a bit and pour the dry catfood thru the back top portion of the trap so that it is on the ground. I caught 5 coons in less than a week behind my house. They were eating the left over cat food my unit was putting out for our outside cats...:noidea:

5. Skewtir

Skewtir New Member

That's great, but he still has a coon problem...only now they're neatly confined to a small jail cell. Guess you could take 'em way out and release and let 'em become someone else's coon problem :noidea: Sounds like bullfiddle has a better plan overall :peace:

6. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

grab the .22 and the flood light and have at it!

7. Josh Michaelis

Josh Michaelis Junior Member

lots of coonhunters in WV, find one and tell em to kill em all

8. wvbowhunter

wvbowhunter wvbowhunter

well my great-uncle is real big into trapping and one of my old teachers and me go coon hunting with his friends sometimes and they have about 7 dogs so im going to have to contact them both. thanks

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

if he has a .22 or .17........he wont have anymore COON problem:noidea:

10. wvbowhunter

wvbowhunter wvbowhunter

I have a .22 but does anyone know if you just set out in the woods will the coons still come into the feeder or will it run away.:noidea:

11. Skewtir

Skewtir New Member

I've seen many coons come in while I was sitting near downed corn while hunting. My guess is you could sit there (still) and you'd have no problem.

12. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

live traps with tuna in it
    set 2 or 3 that first time so as not to let them git smart to them
    then take them for a long swim you know how they like water.( in tha cage):tape:

13. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

I agree 100%. You'll need a big trap, or traps. You wanna get Mama too. There are some big coons around, and they are the ones that eat the most, and are the smartest.
    If you relocate them, take them far, far away, or they'll come back quicker than you would believe.

14. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

I'm surprized that not one of you "ol' country boys" never mentioned that 'coon is also very good eating when fixed proper. Gotta' cut off the fat as much as possible, then I usually boil it to get more fat off, then either bake of grill. I've eaten 'coon, groundhog, beaver( 4 legged, no comments please) even possum (which I still can't stand) squirrel, rabbit etc. Beaver tale (again no comments please) is great!::faint:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  15. Josh Michaelis

Josh Michaelis Junior Member

Thats disgusting

16. Skewtir

Skewtir New Member

MoSkeeter...you sure you're not from the backwoods of Georgia??...:madgrin: Sounds like some folks I know here :eek: I'll eat deer, hog, turkey, squirrel (sometimes), rabbit, elk...but opossum, groundhog, beaver?? :scared::puke::faint2: :yield:

17. wvbowhunter

wvbowhunter wvbowhunter

I love deer and squirrel and definitely turkey. But have any of you guys ever tried bear. this guy from church gave my grandma some bear meat from his he killed and she cooked it and it tasted great.:peace:

18. leegillis

leegillis New Member

BBQ Beaver

A buddy and I came across a skinned beaver while we were snowmobiling a few years back that was left by the local trapper. We hacked off a hind leg each and roasted it on our camp fire, not bad but it was a little tough would have been great in a stew. May be with a nice merlot

19. faceman

faceman New Member

I`ll agree whistle pigs (groundhogs) are good as long as you get the youngens,believe it or not coyote ain`t bad either.