IBO 3-D rules question

Discussion in 'Tournament Discussions' started by Carbon 4 Runner, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Carbon 4 Runner

Carbon 4 Runner New Member

rules state that for hunter class once on target course you can't adjust your sight, or did I read it wrong. So if you shoot a single pin adjustable sight you can not adjust it to the yardage you think the target is, or did I misunderstood that rule.

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

You are correct if you are shooting hunter class you have to shoot a fixed pin sight. A movable single pin sight would put you in the open class..:noidea:

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

ANY HUNTER CLASS, is to be shot using FIXED PINS, you can not shoot a hunter class using a moveable site........

http://ibo.net/Rules/

just as Bullfiddle has said

4. HoosierShooter

HoosierShooter Is It October Yet???

okay I have a question on this one.....

Okay.... what if I shot hunter class with a pin sight, but it is mounted to a movable bracket....

What I mean is the Sword titan that I bought and if I put the 5 pin bracket on it I still could not use it.... What if I took the adjustments off it or something....

Confused in IN :noidea: :noidea: :noidea:

5. bullfiddle

Melissa,
    I think you'll be ok with the multiple pin sight with a moveable bracket. If I were you I would contact the IBO and get a ruling. Here are the requirements for Hunter class:

HUNTER CLASS (HC)
    A compound, recurve, or longbow shot with or without sights. A sight shall have no more than four fixed, cross hair, or circle style pins without lens or magnification. If circle style pins are used, all circles must be the same size. A sight may have a rear aperture (i.e. Peep sight or fixed rifle type sight). Note rule change page 5, c-6, concerning peep sights. Sights may not be adjusted after entering the shooting course. Arrows must have screw in points and at least three feathers or vanes no less than four inches long (measured minimum 3.75 in). Only one stabilizer may be used. The stabilizer shall be no more than twelve inches long, and extend no more than twelve inches from the point of attachment to the riser of the bow. (For the purposes of this rule, any device adding length or weight to the stabilizer shall be considered part of the stabilizer and shall be subject to the twelve inch rule.) Un-weighted vibration dampeners are not considered to be stabilizers; however, un-weighted vibration dampeners attached to the stabilizer are measured as a part of the stabilizer and are subject to the twelve inch rule above. Equipment in this class may be shot with finger tab, shooting glove or release. HC archers shoot from the yellow stake.
    If an archer wins more than once in HC at a qualifying event for shooter of the year, or wins either the National Championship or World Championship during any one IBO shooting year, that archer must advance to another class for the entire duration of the following IBO shooting year.

6. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

If you're shooting a local club match with no cash involved I doubt anyone is going to get very picky, most of those shoots are for going out and having fun or people tuning up for bow season. I see plenty of 5 pin fixed sights on the yellow stakes at our club for example and we don't care, plenty of Blazers as well (4" - dumb rule) however our shoots are not officialy sanctioned events.
    A more serious shoot and that sight is going to be a problem.

7. HoosierShooter

HoosierShooter Is It October Yet???

Again you all are a wealth of infomation, LOL. I just wish you all were closer to southern Indiana, like real southern on the ohio river..... There are some shoots around here but not a lot. I may have to pack myself and my man up sometime and drive north to shoot with you all :biggrin1: I still want to shoot a R-100, oh well next year maybe.

MV

8. red man

red man New Member

WOW i would be out of shooting ibo i have a 5 pin sight and a 15 inch stabilizer and blazers for comp shooting i can shoot at my local club but just to have fun my scores are a disaster but i have fun

9. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Nah you wouldn't be out of shooting, but the 5 pin sight and 15" stab puts you off the yellow stakes at a sanctioned event. At the local club stuff it's not an issue.
    I used to shoot competitively with firearms and I really didn't enjoy the state championship type events. The majority were nice shooters but the arrogant elitist types would show up and if someone was shooting competitively with them they would howl about any rule violation real or imagined (the egos they had were just incredible). I understand the real but there were always a few who were just being a pain over what turned out to be nothing (not a violation). I never had an issue with them but it was annoying just being there with the garbage going on. I eventually got tired of it and stopped shooting firearms competitively many years ago. When I got back into archery I decided I wasn't going to shoot anything but the fun stuff. (The way I shoot probably a good move anyway :lol: )

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  10. fstgstdsmpay

fstgstdsmpay Adam of Archery Outfitter

With your set up you would be shooting MBR in an offical IBO event. Green Stake 45 yards and in

11. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

I'm pretty sure you can shoot in the HC with the fixed pins and a moveable bracket. When you enter the course you are not allowed to make any adjustments!!!!!!!

12. bullfiddle

I am thinkin your right about this as well....:noidea:

13. fstgstdsmpay

I was quoting red man with his set up it would be MBR. With Carbon 4 Runner it would be HC as long as he puts tape over the adjustments so it cant be moved.

14. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

Oh ok, got ya on Redman's post. I was looking over the rules again, MBR says fixed pin for sights but it is the only one that does not say "no more than 4". Does that mean you can load your sight up with as many pins as you desire? Every 5 yds if you want?

15. fstgstdsmpay

Yep if you wanted all those pins go right on and do it.

16. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

I shoot in the MBO class but was curious about all those pins. That would be a sight to see, confusing as hell for me to imagine.

17. Carbon 4 Runner

Carbon 4 Runner New Member

Thanks for the info. I guess I can still use the same sight, but tape the adjustments. Thanks again.

18. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

Taping or locking the adjustments is just for a back up, kind of like "keep the honest, honest" type of thing. I'm sure you would not have any problems if you just let your group know what class you are in and that you will not be moving your sights. Everyone is usually pretty honest and trusting! A lot of the competitive shoots have scorers and everything so they will notice if you are breaking any rules.