Identification

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by elkslayer4x5, Apr 16, 2008.

1. elkslayer4x5

elkslayer4x5 EastOutfitters

Hello all, first post here,and I have a couple of questions. First, I just bought a 2006 Martin SlayR, or at least thats what the seller claimed it is. Nowhere on it does the name Slayr appear, on the limbs it says Martin Magnum. The riser looks exactly like all of the on-line images of SlayR's and Slayer's I have seen. My question is, what is it ? In case you're wondering about the difference between the two, so did I, and asked about that on the Martin tech forum. See it here:

http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=2812

My other question is about the availibility of replacement scope bodys for Cobra 'Easy Slide' sights. Thanks for your attention. :D

2. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

Martin makes the fastest and most accurate bows in the industry so you did good. Welcome to 3Dshoots! :peace:

3. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

The Magnum on the limb designates it's a magnum limb, not the bow model. Never owned a Slayer, but you might see if it isn't stamped somewhere on the riser - I've seen Martin do that before, don't know about the Slayer though.

4. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Yo, Elkslayer,

I'm the guy that gave you the history lesson on the Martin Tech Forum, remember?

You didn't say anything at that time about the limb logo. You should be fine with it, but something. Measure the length of the limb. It should be 14". That's what magnum limbs are and that's a standard limb for the Slayer.

I haven't seen a 2006 Slayer, but most of the others that I saw had Slayer right on the face of the limb. It's possible that the limbs were swped out with something else. Maybe there was a defective or broken limb that was replaced. Maybe they were swapped just for a different weight range. Who knows?

The fact remains that all 14" limbs are the same. The only other limbs Martin makes are the 13" Super Mag and 17" recurved Elite limbs.

5. elkslayer4x5

elkslayer4x5 EastOutfitters

bfisher,
    Yep, I remember. And thanks again. Your awnser here brings up another question, that being where do I find a page telling me what the Martin limb designations refer to, for instance my 14" Magnum limbs are marked 4H, the guy that sold me this bow says that it is 45 - 60 lbs. And where do I find other limbs and or other cams and modules, Currently the bow is set up with nitrous 'C' cams and shoot thru X modules. What does this system gain or lose over the normal set-up? :noidea: I can see where it may become a pain in the --- while hunting. But for now, the bow is up and running, it is fun to shoot and quite the learning experence for an old recurve guy. Yesterday I turned up the draw weight one full turn on the limb bolts, whats that, 3 lbs or so ? Changed my sight settings by 5 yds, what was 30 yds is now 35. :D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  6. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

http://www.martinarchery.com/pdf/2006Specs.pdf

That will get you the cam's, string, and limb info. As for sources, as you proably know the Nitrous cams are no longer made so for cams and modules your stuck with scrounging the used markets.

7. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

dbdcougar gave you the right place for tech data. Als, if you ever need any more you can get on Martin's Tech Forums and look at the Bow Cam Charts. I lurk on the Tech Forum a lot..

Don't you sell that X system short. Frankly, considering all the cam timing issues and cam lean (limb twist) issues with most others, mainly single cams, that X system is one of the bst cam systems ever engineered. And if you have fletching clearance issues there are longer axle kits available that spread the cables more.

If you ever need or want to convert it to a cable guard it's easy enough. All you need is a cable rod and slide and two yoke cables the same length the four that are on it now. If you want to you can get shorter module screws and remove the modules marked X Mod, but it's not necessary. You can leave them as is.

For now just shoot it as is. With a little time it becomes second nature backing the arrow in from the front to nock on the string. YEAH, never push a broadhead in from the back. DUMB.

I had a 2004 Slayer and will probably have another one of these days. It has been one of my favorite bows. I like the draw cycle of the Nitrous and the slightly longer A2A. Now they went and shortened it to 36" with 13" limbs.