If you smoke

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by poorshot, Aug 17, 2007.

1. poorshot

poorshot Senior Member

As long as I could remember I couldn't get deer to come in closer than about 40 yards no matter what I did, or used to eliminate my scent. 6 years ago I quit chewing snuff. Since then I have had deer walking feet away without knowing I was there. If you are a smoker, have you ever tried the gum they make for your breath? Does it work? I don't smoke. I'm just wondering.

2. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

I hate to admit it but i do smoke now and than.I've never noticed anything that has to do with it as far as taking deer.3 deer last season,2 the season before that and so on.I'm not saying that it dosen't effect hunting,just doesn't seem to affect mine.I try not to light up but it can get pretty boreing at times in a tree.I've tried the gum but dosen't seem to help stop the craving and I quit a couple times but gained several pounds.Had a hard time looseing that wght.sometimes i'll switch and chew some beech nut.:noidea:

3. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

You young people out there.....Don't Smoke......:usa:

4. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I used to chew years ago. And have killed 2 does while they were smelling the leaves I spit on. Smelled like winter green. Now my friend whom I have hunted w/ since I was a kid. Kills deer every year. Most of the time he's shooting w/ a cigarette in his mouth.

5. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Had deer in the big woods walk under my tree and sniff a couple of butts I dropped by accident. No anxiety whatsoever. Happened several times over the years. Some might notice, though.
    Now, a cough. Boy, do they ever notice that! I've watched deer react to a muffled cough from another hunter out of sight on several occasions. They alerted, stood and watched and listened for up to 15 minutes, and always went in the other direction.
    Deer do like the Whacky Tabacy. To eat or to smell.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  6. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Smoke!

I smoke, bad habit!:frusty:
    But i leave them at home during bow season!
    And use pepermint candy, i go thru 1 to 2 bags a day!:noidea:

7. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Ya sugar junkie:biggrin1:

8. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I used to chew Skoal also had deer all around me. Now just like you my buddy kills deer with a ciggy burnin.

But by all means if you do not smoke or chew PLEASE DO NOT START.

9. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

What!

IM not a suger junkie!
    Cant ya tell im a FOOOOOOOOOOOOOD Junkie!:lol:

10. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

When we were kids, my friends uncle used to hunt w/ a lit cigar in his mouth...He used to say that deer are curios about the scent and come right to him...He got some of the largest Bucks I had ever seen...:noidea:

11. nyarcher

nyarcher Member

I quit in may after smoking for 16 years:whoo:,I'll let ya know the difference in a couple of months.

12. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Yeah the difference will be you can drag out that monster without having to stop and light up or catch your breath every 20 steps.:biggrin1:

Congrats to ya, I'm proud of anyone who stops smoking.:rockon:

13. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

:rockon: Good for you...I quit 13 yrs ago after 10 yrs of smoking, 13 yrs this weekend actually...It makes a world of difference, with the physical part any way...
    good luck and keep it up...:amen: