I'm busy fletching arrows....what are your weekend plans?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Record Keeper, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Record Keeper

Record Keeper Member

Yup....I'm fletching up four dozen arrows as I type. I hate fletching arrows...it's tempting to pay someone else to do it...

So anyway, tomorrow morning I'm going to grind 5 pounds of pork, 5 pounds of beef sirloin, and 5 pounds of venison. Then I'll mix it all with one pound of diced cheddar cheese, two jars of pickled sliced jalipenos, and my secret recipe of spices. I'll extrude it into sausage casings, and toss it all into the smoker for 12 hours.....

Now while it is smoking away, I'll be out back shooting those four dozen arrows at 70 meters. The idea is to find the best matched 12 arrows. Those will be the ones I take to the Olympic trials next week.:biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

What is everyone else planning for this weekend? I bet some of you will be hunting! Our season doesn't open for another four weeks.:Cry:

2. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

Well, I am working on some walleye and baked taters, then I think I might take the kids to see the big bucks in the fenced in, no hunting area of the suburbs.

Saturday I have a 3D shoot to run all day, and Sunday will be repairing one of my ladder stands for Oct. 1st opener.

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Saturday AM its a quick trip out to Cabelas (stupid buddy had to wait till last minute huh!)

Saturday Afternoon I'll probably do some shooting, go put out some more tacks so I don't get lost next weekend and then relax

Sunday AM I may hit a local 3dshoot depending on if I'm feeling lazy or not and then in the afternoon a nice 2 or 3 mile hike with the kid on my back and do some long range scouting for second and third spots.

4. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Will leave the house at 4am :Cry: ..in my tree stand at 5am:D and hoping to see something to shoot at...6am:p .Have to be back home by 11 to go to a hog in the ground roast:hungry: at 1 and will probably be home around 7 wishing i hadn't ate so much .

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  5. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

well record I'm taking my oldest out this weekend for the youth hunt. Then setting up my new green x-7. If it comes in that is... So, you bored at A/T? or just sick of the BS!!!:laugh:

6. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Who knows....he might find out how much fun it is over here and decide to stay.:decision:

7. Record Keeper

Record Keeper Member

Actually I set up a user account here some time back, but forgot my password (embarassed).

I have very fond memories of taking my son out on youth hunt weekend. Man, those were some really great times! Good luck to you this weekend!

8. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

Well.... Right now I am fletching up my hunting arrows.. Got to love the arizona EZ fletch. Tomorrow I am hanging a stand then in the afternoon we will be going to some stupid festival and Sunday we will be celebrating my daughters fifth birthday.

9. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

Working now....

3d Sat. at Cameron's place, Sunday, Wrist slings and the Lions game, then just hang out with the Wife and Daughter. :usa:

10. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

HHHMMMM, I thought you would be hepling me put some new tree steps on the stand I WAS going to put you in on Sunday morning.....:attention:

11. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

I would live too, but I'm afraid to ask the warden for more time in the yard. :lol:

Ben

12. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

That's ok. We will get ya fixed up.:rockon:

13. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

When I fletch I put on a ball game (Cubs win !) and have a beer or two while I'm at it.

Ron

14. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

A beer or two always makes things more fun...fletching...taxes...funerals...:laugh:

Seriously, I like fletching, but I do about 4 dozen arrows a year. :usa:

Ben

15. Record Keeper

Record Keeper Member

Four dozen a year would be cool! When I fletch, I also carefully scrape away excess glue when the arrows come out of the jig...and then weigh each arrow. You'd be surprised how much difference a grain or an extra glob of glue will make on the impact point of an arrow at 70 or 90 meters....

Oh....and please pass the beer!:lol:

16. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

So you sit there and shoot 48 arrows a time at a target? I'm all about accuracy by volume but :censored: thats overkill!

17. Record Keeper

Record Keeper Member

LOL! I wish it was that simple. I number them 1 through 48.

Then I shoot them as bare shafts at 70 meters and figure which ones group best with a couple of fletched arrows, and rank them.

Then I fletch them, and shoot them in groups of six arrows, recording which scoring ring each lands in. I use this data to weed out the 24 worst, and then repeat the process until I find the top 12 and they will be my tournament arrows. Then I further work on the top 12 to find the six best, and they become my primary with the other six being the backups.

It takes all afternoon. And I'll slowly be enjoying a mini-keg of Southern Magnolia (from a wonderful microbrewery in Mississippi) and smelling the sausage smoking away!

18. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

That's why I'll never be a champion anything! :lol:

Ben

19. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Your right.
    I bought a grain scale earlier this year and it's amazing the difference in the arrow weight. I really could not believe it....

So, what is the best way of building an arrow so they are all around the same weight (+-10 grains) ?

I have a about a 15 grain difference between my heaviest and lightest target arrow... That seems like a lot to me.

Ron

20. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Let's see here......I am trying to round up enough people to work the fair booth for our archery club next week, trying to find a place to live, cleaning the house, packing, Sunday I am going to the 900 round shoot :peace: and regular mom stuff to fill in the rest of my hours.:D