Im having an accuracy problem.

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Southernfryedyankee, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Senior Member

I have been trying to get everything tweaked. When I shoot at 10 yds I am right on with a twang from the bow, at 20 yds I am approx 4-6" to the left with a twang from my bow. The twang I believe is a biproduct from shooting a lower grain arrow. I am using .029 pins which I can see fine but I do notice it is covering my target more, would a switch to .019 pins help my issue. I am using the same pin for 10 and 20 yds. I have not attempted 30 yards yet. I moved my pin guard in closer which helped a little bit. any suggestions? I have a hunter hogg it sight.

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

When you shoot from 20 yards, are all your arrows tight together? If they are, then your shooting is fine and you just need to adjust your sight or rest for windage.

3. iowacityarcher

iowacityarcher Junior Member

a couple of things come to mind.
    1st if your shooting a real light arrow for your bow is it underspined? if so at 10 you may be catching the sweet spot and at 20 it's kicking on you. how does it paper tune?
    2nd i find the .029 pin to be a bit big for spot shooting when i'm useing a pin of that size i try to hold at 6 o'colck on the target so i can judge my lefts and rights better.
    then again it might be some other problem without seeing it 1st hand it's hard to really tell.

4. Southernfryedyankee

sometimes they are. my form is not the best and im not always shooting on even ground. I may have to go back to a 20yd specific pin

5. Southernfryedyankee

the spine is 350 and for my DL and poundage 300 is recommended

6. iowacityarcher

have you shot it through paper to see if it's coming out of the bow straight? some people don't beleive in paper tuneing but i do. if you don't how are your groups? even if they are to one side or the other are they nice and tight?

7. Southernfryedyankee

sometimes I will get 3 of 4 arrows right in a 2" radius other times I get flyers. Could my accuracy issue be due to arm fatigue? I have not paper tuned my bow. for me to paper tune I would have to be perfectly level right. as of now I shoot on a SLIGHT downwar angle.

8. iowacityarcher

being tired doesn't help any and it will cause you to practice bad habbits if you're not careful. if you are haveing trouble with your bow getting it in proper tune is the 1st step if you can't get it go to a pro shop for help or atleast some one at a local range that has the knowhow then go from there

9. Southernfryedyankee

what ydg should i paper tune at

10. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

You should probably walk back tune to get your rest where it should be first.

Try this:

1. At 10 yards, shoot at a dot near the top of your target bail.
    2. Move back to 20 yards and shoot at the same dot.
    3. Move back to 30 yards and shoot at the same dot.
    4. Move back to 40 yards and shoot at the same dot.

After this, look at your arrows. If they form a line that moves diagonally downward, then your rest needs adjusted. Move your rest an 1/8" left or right and do it again. If it gets worse, you went the wrong way.

When all your arrows line up vertically, then your rest is set properly. From there, you would make all left right adjustments with your sight.

Paper tuning works well for some set ups, but some bows will not paper tune and still shoot great.

11. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I was told the other day, that when I hear a twang in my bow, it is cuz my release is not smooth and I am jerking the string out to the right which is also making my arrows shoot to the left. I have paper tuned and the arrows are shooting perfect, but they still go left cuz of me.

Paper tune at about 3 feet then 10 feet, if you want to go further that's fine too. The further you go will tell you how straight your arrow is at different distances.

12. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I thought only people from Tennessee heard a "twang" when they shot their bows?????:noidea:

13. iowacityarcher

have to ask burt reynolds or ned beatty about that one:doh: maybe it's just a souther thang:peace:

14. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I've never heard a release cause a twang?? Anyways, Start from zero. Check your center shot on rest, Nock height, Start by getting your arrow level and square on your rest. Also ,make sure your not death gripping bow. Shooting at a longer distance will cause you to hold your grip tighter. Cause in your mind you want it to hold on the spot. Also, make sure you dont have any fletching clearance, Not peaking and looking for arrow aftershot. If all thats ok paper tune it. honestly I will paper tune maybe once a year. Arrows not spined correctly will do this or if you shoot the spine out of an arrow it will.

15. Southernfryedyankee

It appears that I am severely torquing my bow in a direction that is shooting left. So now between aiming, holding steady I am also having to watch my bubble level, This by itself aided in accuracy improvement. Second, instead of keeping my finger on my trigger as if it were my rifle and squeezing. I put my middle and index finger parallel to eachother as if they wre siamese twins then parallel to my release shaft and in one smooth motion with BOTH fingers I fire the trigger. my groups shrunk by at least 3-4 inches. It reminds me of the movie The Last Samurai, when the guy said "To many mind" I definitly have TO MANY MIND. Especially now that I have to level my bow everytime,

I also think smaller .019 pins may bring me in for the homerun. So I may purchase some unless someone wants to trade me some .019 pins for some .029 pins for a spot-hogg sight.

16. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Sounds like some very good info here. A properly tuned bow is a happy bow. Then just work on your form issues and do not shoot too long or fatigue will kill your form and cause you to develop bad habits.:peace:

17. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

louie borrow that chimps 9 and shot at it.:biggrin1: Smokes

18. Southernfryedyankee

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Is that the best advice you can give HA

19. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

yes Sir JC us boys down here in Tennyc hear them twangs especially tha Matthews solo cams>