Indoors vs. Outdoors

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Wheely, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Does anyone shoot better either indoors or outdoors? I seem to shoot better when shooting indoors.:noidea:

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I suck equally at both.

3. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I know that feeling!!!!

4. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Honestly, I would say I am much closer to shooting a 300 indoor than I am at shooting a 300 on a 30 target 3D shoot. Knowing your distance eliminates one huge possible point of error.

That could be that I have been in "indoor mode" for the past 3 months and just shot my first 3D of the year. I have tweaked and worked on my indoor bow and my spot shooting skills non-stop for a while now. I would imagine (and hope) that I am shooting 3D better than indoor really soon. I hate donating to the prize money every shoot.....:doh:

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yup my thoughts about myself exactly.....:rockon:

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I dont mind donateing to the prize money or trophy fund, but would like to recieve some once in a while:noidea:

7. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I have never known what that is like.....:noidea:

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

youve never donated or never recieved???:noidea:

9. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I've done lots of donating...........:tape:

10. ByteMe

ByteMe Senior Member

That depends...

On a few things:

1) The elements: Indoors you are in a very controlled environment. No wind, rain, other stuff affecting arrow flight or adding distractions. Believe it or not, wind does affect flight; especially at longer distances.

2) Concentration: I find that it is also easier to concentrate in an indoor environment as opposed to an outdoor one to me it is quieter.

3) As far as shooting better, I am equally as accurate in both scenarios. Although, if I do have something new that I am looking to perfect or if I am focusing on technique related issues where I want to be exact, I will do this indoors. Then I will go try outdoors. Like I said for me it is easier to concentrate indoors. Plus when I am working on my B/T technique and I have a blind fold on to just focus on the feel and dynamic of the technique, it is easier to do this inside in a less PUBLIC environment so people aren’t pointing fingers sayin “What in the heck is he doing?” Then having to explain, why I am doing it, why I am soooo close and why the blind fold. That in it of itself can be annoying when you are in a zone of concentration.

4) Is one better than the other? I would say that an archer could be better indoors vs outdoors as I said before it’s a very controlled environment with less distractions. Based on those reasons you could be better indoors vs outdoors.

Summary: If you are really trying to focus on form, technique shot picture and alignment etc, I would say do those indoors. Then when you feel like you are at a comfort level take it outside and see how you do. All of my two practice rounds were done outside. Tennessee is really nice this time of the year so I wanted to enjoy the outdoors with my daughter as well. All in all though, it’s up to the archer and what they feel comfortable doing.

Of course these are just my thoughts,
    ~Byte~

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

man what took you so long to come to this site????:rockon:

12. ByteMe

ByteMe Senior Member

Well...

Truthfully, as I have said before all of my shooting up until now has been for fun, and ssshhh dont tell anyone, but I really never took it THAT seriously! Now I am steppping out of that zone, finally. So I joined when Google listed 3dshoots.com like 4th or 5th on the list when I was doing the Quick Spin research. I liked what you all had to say and the ~Ahem~ Professionalism (yeah yeah hard to beleive huh) of the advise given. So, unfortunately (LOL) I joined coz well, I am a glutton for punishment.

Does that explaun things?

~Byte~

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

explained and described to a T:biggrin1:

14. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

To me !! nothing compares to shooting out side.. 3D. I wouldnt shoot spots if it didnt help me for 3d.. I actually think spots is boring!!

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I think spots is fun to a point......it helps my concentration.....

16. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I shoot about the same in or out......:noidea:

17. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I probably shoot indoors better but enjoy shooting outdoors more. :biggrin1:

18. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I really enjoy indooras and use it as a time to hone my skills like JC>

My passion is 3ds. the best thing I like bout em is the commradery.
    You can cut up and do some real bonding durin 3d season. seems to be more laid back although we shoot just as intently.
    Plus I am an outdoor boy. Mom heard that it wuz good for babys to have an hour outside each day, soooo no matter what tha temp she would bundle me up and I still like that oudoor feelin> HS

19. lungbuster

lungbuster Senior Member

i like outdoor.

I like outdoor 3d but, I think I shoot better at spot. I shot a 3d indoor league thats 40 yds indoor so that nice to get you ready for some outdoor. its just nice to know just what the yardage is, That what I need to improve.

20. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

if I could get better at judging distance, I could smoke 3-d courses.....but I suck at it...:noidea: