inserts lost

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Mathews Man, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

I have been losing my glue in tips. I have tried alot of differant epoxy glue I scratch up the inside of the arrow with a brass brush, then clean it with acetone. dont know what else to do:frusty:

So after ranting what is the best glue for inserts and carbon shafts? fast dry, 24hour epoxy? Superglue:noidea: ?

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

What are you using for glue?

3. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I use superglue or goat tuff.:peace:

4. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

just use sandwich bags to hold them in thats what I use :decision:

5. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I use the pine ridge fast set glue and I have yet to loose an insert. I clean my shafts inside with a Q-tip and denatured Alcohol. I also use the alcohol to clean the shafts to prepare them for fletching. You can get denatured alcohol at Lowe's or maybe even a hardware store...:noidea:

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I think your talking about pin nock inserts or something. Inserts which you thread your field points into would blow out I think with baggie.:noidea:

7. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

No I use them on my inserts and have no problems :wave:

8. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

I use pine ridge for everything....One day the world will listen Fiddle....:amen:

9. red44

red44 Senior Member

Acetone can leave a residue which may not be compatible with some glues. Use the denatured alcohol as a last wipe. Epoxys are the best bet, but may require 24 hours to set. Superglue is faster but depending on how thin it is, may be to brittle. Goat tuff or superglue gel should work fine.

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Glue?? for what?? :dizzy: *scratches head*

OH CRAP, thats the problem......:doh:

11. Captain19

Captain19 Grim Reaper of the Foam

Mathews Man DON'T USE ACETONE. It actually breakes down the carbon in the arrow and attacks most glues. Carbon Express and Easton will both tell you not to use acetone due to it attacking and weakening the carbon. Use denatured alcohol. It cleans better than acetone and doesn't bother glues or carbon. As far as adhesives most of them are not resistant to shock and results in fracturing the bond. I found a cyanocralate ester (Crazy Glue) thats "toughened" with polymers and is resistant to temperature and impact shock. I am yet to loose and insert. You can glue it and shoot it in 15 mins. rather than epoxies that take 24 hrs. The type I use is Aaron Alpha Type 414TX. Its a clear gel and you can get it from Fastenal. It is pricey it's about $20 for a 50 gram (1.76oz.)bottle.

12. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Do not use acetone with any fast set glue/gel. Any residue left will break down the bond of the glue. Use denatured alcohol instead.

13. JDX--

JDX-- Member

Another vote for Pine Ridge :rockon:

14. J.A.G.

J.A.G. Senior Member

i've only had one come out and that was one that I didnt do.. Use Superglue gel.. its tough.

15. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

I used goat tuff, but that is just too expensive. So my shop uses some kind of craft glue that works like a champ. Since I can't tell you the name of it, this post is pretty worthless :noidea:

16. Ohioarcher

Ohioarcher VaporTrail Staff Shooter

I clean the arrow shafts with denatured alcohol and use the loctite superglue gel. Sets and is ready to shoot in 10-15 minutes. Goat tuff is good stuf but it is really exspensive.

17. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

Problem

Cleaning fluid

Acetone is often the primary (or only) component in nail polish remover. Ethyl acetate, another organic solvent, is sometimes used as well. Acetone is also used as a superglue remover. It can be used for thinning and cleaning fiberglass resins and epoxies. It is a strong solvent for most plastics and synthetic fibres.

Heres the link of my quick acetone search:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone

After some light reading I would say that I agree to the comments to stop using the acetone to clean your shafts. Give the denatured alcohol a try and I'll wager your problem will start to disappear.

Many people suggested above not to use the acetone but sometimes it just takes a few facts to lock it into our brains.

18. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

Thanks for the Info I will leave Acetone alone. Right now I am useing Loctite 24 hr cure 2 part epoxy. I think this should work, It may be the acetone is the problem.

Fiddle where do you get the Pine ridge glue?

When I use alcohol I use the 90% type that CVS carries. I stay away from rubbing alcohol due to the fact that is has lotion in it and would be worthless to try to get glue to stick to. So is this Ok or is denatured better?

19. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Denatured alcohol and alcohol you get at CVS is 2 different beasts all together. Denatured alcohol is used to thin shellac and as a cleaning agent and is poisonous.... You can order pine ridge glue online or I got mine at Bass and Bucks.