Interested in archery as a hobby

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by EternalRos3, Sep 5, 2008.

1. EternalRos3

EternalRos3 New Member

Recently, my boyfriend and I attended the Renaissance fair, and played a quick round of archery. I've done it before in high school as a temporary PE class, and neither one of us have much experience in the sport.
    So anyway, during the visit to the archery game in the Ren fair, my boyfriend and I discovered that it would be a fun hobby to take up.

Since neither one of us have experience in this sport, I was wondering if somebody could help us figure out how to get started.

I have several questions, and if anyone has any other tips or advice, I would appreciate it;

What are good beginner bows/crossbows?

Do we need a license for the purchase of archery equipment? {The only reason I ask is because of the age requirement and the fact that the bows could be used for hunting. Hunting would be a fun activity, but we are looking more for a hobby at the moment.}

What type of lessons do we need?
    -Could this be taken up as something we can do together, privately, or is it easier to learn in one of those programs?
    -Are the programs/lessons expensive, and time consuming?

Are there special places to do archery, {for example, is it illegal to do it in certain areas?} and are there seasons to do it in?

Anything else would be appreciated, as I've already mentioned. Sorry for the stupid questions, but as I've said, we don't know anything about the hobby, and want to learn as much as we can before taking it up and purchasing the wrong equipment.

2. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

I'll take a run at this but some of your questions are going to be NY and even local law specific so.......

What are good beginner bows/crossbows?

Personal preference plays a huge part in this; Go to a pro shop and have your draw length measured. Decide on your budget for equipment, don't forget to include arrow rest, sight, possibly a release, possibly a stabilizer and arrows. Then try as many different bow in your price range and see what feels best to you, make sure the bow is set for your draw length. There are many fine bow out there. What I have just said is for compounds, if you're looking into a recurve I'll defer to someone else

Do we need a license for the purchase of archery equipment? {The only reason I ask is because of the age requirement and the fact that the bows could be used for hunting. Hunting would be a fun activity, but we are looking more for a hobby at the moment.}

Not that I'm aware of, even in NY. If you're in NYC you better check with local law enforcement - I'm just an Indiana country boy!

What type of lessons do we need?

There are pro shops that give lessons, I'd start there

-Could this be taken up as something we can do together, privately, or is it easier to learn in one of those programs?
    -Are the programs/lessons expensive, and time consuming?

Are there special places to do archery, {for example, is it illegal to do it in certain areas?} and are there seasons to do it in?

Local laws will dictate where you can shoot. If you're out in the country - not in city limits you should be good to go around the house if you have the room and a safe landing zone/backstop. Certain types of shooting do have seasons; like 3D shooting pretty well shutsdown around here shorlty before deer season and starts up around March. Then there are winter 5 spot leagues for example. What kind of shooting are you interested in?

Anything else would be appreciated, as I've already mentioned. Sorry for the stupid questions, but as I've said, we don't know anything about the hobby, and want to learn as much as we can before taking it up and purchasing the wrong equipment.

Oh, :welcome:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008

3. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

shooting arrows sure is fun and addicting
    there are a lot of good used bows out there to start off with
    form is a must for a true shot
    if just playing around then not so necessary just to have a good time
    I like to hit tha spot I am aiming at
    it's an obsession with me
    your choice