Interested in Learning Archery

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Aim, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Aim

Aim New Member

Was interested in learning archery but not for hunting but shooting at targets and sharpening hand eye coordination. What bow do you recommend I'm 26yrs old 6'0 so would like a nice solid bow that I can use even when I get better at my skills. Also do they sell a bullseye target I can practice with in the safety of my yard or house? Look forward to your responses thanks!:peace:

2. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

HI AIM!! Welcome to the forum....

The bow question is a common asked question. The best advice anybody can give you is find a local archery shop or two that has a variety of bows that you can try. Shoot them and see which one feels good to you.

Some things to look for while bow shopping:
    Make sure your draw length is measured by someone who knows what they are doing. (The good 'ole Arm span divided by 2.5 will get you within an inch or so.)
    Feel the vibration, if any, in the bow
    Smoothness of the draw
    General Comfort of shooting the bow
    and my mind just went blank, so somebody else finish my thought please.

OH, and remember, there are A Lot of Opinions out there....None of them are actually "right" cuz it all depends on what you like to shoot and how the bow feels in your hands. Good Luck!

3. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Wheels is correct in that you should find a shop that can set a bow up for you. There are not many bows that are set up exactly the same way because we all vary in our physical dimensions, abilities and the desired use of the bow.

Having said that, I would recommend going to a shop and checking out a Genesis bow. It's a bow designed for a multitude of different physical dimenstions and it does not cost an arm and a leg. You can get a whole kit with the bow, rest, sight, arrows out the door for about $250-$275. If you decide you like the sport and want to expand your abilities you can get into all kinds of higher performance bows and equipment, but at a significantly higher cost. If you decide to upgrage the Genesis resale value is pretty good since it fits more or less anybody that can draw a bow. If you want to spend a little more a Genesis Pro would be a good choice since you could purchase a little higher tech rest, sight, etc and then when you sell that bow to upgrade you could move the rest and sight to your new bow.

As far as shooting in your back yard, a decent bag target would work well for about $35. The real issue is whether or not the area you live in allows that kind of thing and how close your neighbors houses and personal property are to you. The last thing any of us would want is to see is somebody getting hurt, property getting damaged or you getting in trouble with the law for firing a 'weapon' in an area where it's illegal.

Good luck, I hope I helped some.

Ron

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Welcome AIM...
    all good advice. What type of shooting do you plan on doing? 3D, indoors, field, hunting, just goofing around in the yard. You will need to get a budget in mind also...
    a few things to keep in mind:
    bow(bare)-$150-$999
    arrows with feild points- $80-$130 a dozen
    sight-$25-$150
    peep-$5-$25
    rest-$25-$100
    release-$20-$150
    quiver-$25-$100

on the average, a good mid-line bow will cost $400-$600 bare

Hope this helped.
    Please ask all the questions you need to and don't get pressured into buying a bow you're not comfortable with...The are tons of good used bows in the classifieds

5. buckslayer

buckslayer Bowtech Man

the best thing i could tell you to do is get a good fitting bowtech tomkat it comes with everything you need all for a reasonable cost, and the bow will last you for many years

6. Fasst

Fasst Bring on the Pain

Where are you located AIM? There may be members here that live near you that are willing to meet you and even let you try their bow(s).