Inventory for a new archery shop.

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by jcmorgan31, Oct 24, 2007.

1. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

For those of you that don't know, I am in the process of opening an archery shop. I have my Martin dealership lined up, accounts set up with Victory and Copper John and an account at Papes opened and I'm ready to go. I just got in a few things to put on the walls for inventory, but I want to know what you would want to see in an archery shop.

Keep in mind, it is a small shop, in a small town. My primary mission was to be able to set up a completely custom bow for someone. I build my own strings, I am the arrow wrap master, and I will be fletching up arrows also.

My first small order included basic necessities like peep sights, a coupld Simms S-coils, a Rip Cord rest, a Copper John Dead Nuts2 Hunter sight, some Muzzys, etc.

What will be hot items that a lot of customers will come in for???

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

What kind of competition ya got? Any box stores around?

3. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Nope. Closest Bass Pro is over an hour away. There is an MC Sports about 40 miles away but their archery department sucks. Of course, there is a Walmart 10 miles away. Other than that, there is one other archery shop within 5 miles, but they are rarely open and hard to get ahold of.

I live in rural Southern Indiana in a town of 2000 people. 80% of my customers will more than likely be hunters only.

4. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Sword sights are hot right now.:rockon:

5. bullfiddle

By the way JC do you ever read your PM's?

6. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I'm not necessarily looking for name brands. More along the lines of price ranges and types of items to stock. I have my own personal favorites. I can stock the low end sights, rests, or the high end stuff. What are most people going to go for?

For instance, I got a middle of the line Dead Nuts 2. I figured I might sell it easier because it is less expensive than several other of their sites but still has the extremely bright wrapped fiber. If someone sees it and wants a micro adjust model, I can order it and have it in a day, but at least they will see more than the bottem end model without wrapped fiber.

7. bullfiddle

If your customers are going to be primarily guys that shoot a couple weeks before season starts you should probably stick to the mid to low range stuff. :wave:

8. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Sounds good.:thumb: Maybe get some whisker bisquits, Scott Releases, some good mid-range sights like tru-glo and Cobra. All the limbsaver stuff, cat whiskers, loop material, kwikee quivers. Apple makes a good repair kit with replacement screws, washers, e-clips, etc. You can add the high end stuff like Spott Hogg, VT Limbdrivers, etc., later. I'd start with good mid-range priced hunting gear since you don't have a lot of competition.

If you're keeping your day job for awhile, I'd put 100% of the net profit back into inventory for the first year.

9. J.C.

J.C. New Member

You must be talking to him since I don't think I received any from you. :noidea:

This is getting confusing. I might have to do a name change like the B-man did. Any suggestions? :biggrin1:

10. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Change it to "The Other JC"

11. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Senior Member

I wanna see lotsa Bowtechs :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

12. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I can't afford the liability insurance to carry Bowtech......:tape:

13. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Senior Member

OMG :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

14. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

Be sure to have a good supply of bare shafts of various sizes and vanes to go with them, they are always in demand.

15. dano1977

dano1977 Senior Member

free stuff!:rockon:

16. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I'm already looking into beef jerky to make sure I get some of your money too....:rockon:

17. dano1977

dano1977 Senior Member

If I always come home broke, the wife will not let me come and hang out! We'll have to run a tab or something, that way I'll just come home broke every once in a while!lol

18. pilot

pilot Senior Member

All my buddies ever debate is the best broadhead and the best vane so i think a good selection of each would be a good idea....plus it will fit right in with your mad skillz when it comes to arrow building! :rockon:

Not archery specific but some good boots and basic hunting clothing is always a good thing in a small town.

19. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I'm thinking broadheads would be very seasonal????

I have 3 types of muzzys right now and figure if someone comes in in a bind, they'll buy what I have??? Maybe I'm wrong.....I dunno.....I'm new to this:biggrin1:

20. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

Let me know if you want to do custom slings, we can work out some dealer pricing. :peace:

Ben