Is it worth it to put new strings on a bow?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Southernfryedyankee, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Senior Member

I see cracker strings, cody strings,winners choice is there a large difference between all these different strings and will it excel my factory strings. I was thinking about having my bow crackerized but im trying to see if its worth it. Any opinions. I want a flo green and black twist I think that would look wicked on my bow.

2. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I personally think new string and cable(s) are underrated improvements.
    I use Winner's Choice and Vapor Trail without any problems with either brand. I will definitely consider the Cody string/cable sets the next time I replace them. I have a black/blue Vapor Trail twist on my Blueberry Ovation that looks really cool.

Ron

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I cant wait to get my custom cody strings and cables on my bow and get it shooting good, I will be posting my progress from when I get them on thru how many shots it takes to break them in.....thru retuning the bow....

I had the stock barracuda strings on my switchback from new and they are still in o.k. shape.....but its deffinatley time to change them....

4. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I have used Bucknasty and Vapor Trail strings and cables. Low quality strings can be an issue when they constanly stretch taking your bow out of tune with them. I don't know what kind of bow you shoot, some bow manufacturers put good strings on from the factory, but if they are poor quality, it is definately worth it to upgrade.

I might give Cody's strings a try. (depends on if he ever gets me a price on the arrows I asked about.....:biggrin1: )

5. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I am not sure about the other brands, but have had nothing but good luck with Winners Choice. Will it excel your factory strings - I think that is up to the type of string that the factroy has put on your bow.

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I have nothing but praise for my Cuda's on my XT they are awesome. Only problem I had was after about 3 months of shooting had my bottom serving reserved since then no problems. Soon though I will have a new one made then retire my cuda's to backup. Gonna have to try the ole camo custom cody's. Or I may go with Vapor Trail.:noidea::laugh:

7. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Yes, I know it is worth it. I don't know how to tell when to change them or really what brand to go with. But I had a string made for the alpine 7 yrs ago and when I pulled it out again, everyone kept telling me the string was in good shape and I didn't need to replace it. I went ahead and replaced it and WOW, what a difference it made. I will definately be replacing strings/cables more often.:peace:

8. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

My Hoyt comes with Fuse strings and the fella I talked to said they are fine and he hasn't changed them yet on his bow. He said he usually changes the strings but hasn't with the Fuse strings...we'll see.

Oh yeah I PICK MY ULTRAELITE UP TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I almost couldn't talk when the dealer called me up earlier today.

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

o.k. just keep in mind the unit laws.....post some picks....

10. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

string's

Just ordered a set of cody string's & cables.
    Ill tell you how they do & might order more!:biggrin1:

11. wp_bowmaster

wp_bowmaster Glad he is back!!!

Jcmorgan31 the price for your arrows is on the way!!!:biggrin1::biggrin1:
    And for Frank next time you come down there will be Custom Cody Strings on your soon to be Ovation:tape: ......I hope you don't go with Vapor Trail or i will get :mad2:!!!

12. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

I will post pics of the new bow when I have energy hehe....Oh my we got to the dealer at 4:30 and we didn't leave till 8:30 so a bit pooped were we. I had 2 pro guys helping me figure out anchor points and then later on after I slapped my arm bout 4 times with the string, had one of the guys give me a mini "lesson" of sorts on a different stance etc. Also took quite a while to really figure out the right draw length and the peep is quite different so will take me a while to get used to the whole setup. I knew it was gonna be like starting over but by the time we were leaving I was doing much better. I can never get a nose job cause my main anchor is to touch the top of the string with my nose. I have to say the bow is quite steady with the shoot thru just gonna take a while to get used to the whole thing but I'm happy. I'll try and take pics this weekend so I don't violate some law of the land hehe. Oh yeah I guess it's gonna be 26" arrows for me, that is an inch past the riser. 36lb pull 25"draw. Arrow ideas if you feel so inclined. I was thinking carbon express CXL2 but not sure if those are really indoor arrows or not.

13. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

C- I shoot tha Linejammers by CX. Works great and gives me a BIG arrow.

When ya get my age ya need all tha help ya can git. Smokes :biggrin1:

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I have shot linejammers and cxl2's indoor, I like them both, the only problem you may have is linejammers I can almost garentee will not tune w/your setup....they only have a 250 and a 350 spine.......

cxl2's have a 150 shaft.....

also dont get caught up in decideing what length your shafts are going to need to be......for indoor, speed is not a factor, look at some indoor setups and you will notice one thing, most guys shoot longer arrows....take a look at some videos, of Chris White I beleive it is.....his arrrows stick about 6 inches past the front of the rest.....and that boy can shoot pretty well....

oh and by the way congrats, and I like the cxl2's my self

15. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I like the blue/black strings on the Ovation.:rockon:

And you know I would not go to Vapor Trail when I have you to build strings for me.:peace:

Boy guys this kid is awful testy today.:laugh:

16. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah the blue/black string on my Blueberry Ovation looks cool.
    I'll have my blue stabilizer on Friday and I'll finally have a complete target bow.
    I'll post pics when that stab comes in...

Ron

17. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

I did deceide on the CXL2's since they did have the lower weight ones and Pete at Hoyt did tell me the same thing..go for the longer arrow because he did a ton of testing in the past that showed better grouping with the little longer ones. I ordered 27" so I should be okay. I have to shoot tonight and I'm so looking forward to more torture LOL. Like learning to shoot all over again but oh what a perty bow :rockon:

18. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I like Vapor Trail strings myself. I got mine set up w/ red and flow green strings and cables.