Is the bow faster or slower???

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by chelleo, Apr 2, 2008.

1. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

:frusty: Ok, here's one for you to think about...

Got myself new strings...yes I'll put up pics later on but I have an interesting situation.

Nock point is in same place as on old string, same brand of strings too. My sight settings are such that I'm having to lower my sight settings, does this mean the bow is slower??? I also went from 75% letoff to 65% letoff.

My brain is not cooperating on this so I need some help....

2. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Yes, by lowering the sight you raise the arrow plane.

3. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

Now the next question...why would these strings be slower than my previous? Is the letoff causing this or what? They are both from the same exact stringmaker. I did change out the cable slide too, could that cause the slowness?? If you can't tell I'm just a bit frustrated with this whole craziness. The bow is slow enough without having to add to it being slower.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  4. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

I thought a lower letoff made the bow a bit faster??? Why did the letoff go from 75 to 65 with the same kind of strings? Were they the correct length?

5. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Yep Hook your absolutely right. Higher letoff means slower speed.

6. BowhuntnHoosier

Have you checked your ATA and BH????:noidea:

7. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Take great care when dealing with Ultra and pro Elites.
    I gave a guy all the specs for a pro elite and he looked up the strings and cables. He made the strings for a XT2000 limb bow and I had a XT2000 limbs. When I picked up the bow I about freaked out. Can close to breaking the limbs.

8. BowhuntnHoosier

So......................you had XT2000 and he made XT2000?????????????????

I think you are confused.:frusty:

9. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I would check the axle to axle length. If you lost poundage I wouldcheck the twists in the cables.....:noidea: Did you use a bow scale to see if the poundage setting was the same as before? One other question you said the nock was in the same place but what about your peep site????:noidea:

10. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Are your yardage marks still accurate with the sight lowered? Is your 20 still 20 and your 40 still 40? If so, I would guess your peep is a little lower than before.

11. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

here's the way I judge this
    I measure from 20 to 50 yards after i have dialed it in at these yardages lets say for the sake of simplicty it is a distance of 1/2" on the original set up
    now set up #2 and get your marks from 20 to 50 Yards and measure these
    if they are the same then it is good if it is close no sweat

12. QSA

sorry he made XT2000 and I had XT3000 limbs on that bow. Sold it shortly after that.

13. QSA

Did you change the let off? or the new strings change the let off

14. hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 Senior Member

That was my first thought also. If your bow is still in spec, i bet your peep is lower than before.

15. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

Ok, first off I had a different letoff module put on. I've read that holding a bit more is more helpful in keeping the bow steady, which it seems to be. I did check the poundage and it's still at 40.

The strings are the correct length for sure. When I draw back the bow the peep seems to be in the proper place. The kisser is perfect and the peep is perfect, I'm not bending my head or anything. When I used the same sight setting as I had before from say 20yds I was shooting too low, and all the way back to 60yds I had to adjust my sight lower on every distance. I'm going to shoot thru paper this weekend and see how that looks. One thing I noticed is that I'm not getting any fletching touching my spring steel so maybe my nock was actually wrong before and now it's working better? I would have to clean off my blade occasionally and so far I'm not having to do a thing. The arrow seems to be very level so maybe it's actually where it should be now?

Just checked my tiller and brace height, the tiller is fine..they both are the same, the BH is a bit higher than before. Now it's at 6 7/8" and I think before it was a hair over 6 1/2, don't know if this would make that much difference but maybe someone has an idea>

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

how do the arrows look in flight? are they grouping well??

17. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

Well, the groups weren't as tight as they should be but I'm going to raise my rest a teensy bit and see if that helps. I talked to my pro shop and he said to try that first before I do any major string untwisting etc.

18. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Is the ATA length the same or shorter? 3/8 inch longer brace makes me think the cables are a little short.

19. QSA

Yes or you checked it the first time after the strings have settled in. The new ones may stretch a little to fix it when the settle in.