Is there a difference

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by deerkiller443, Dec 21, 2007.

1. deerkiller443

deerkiller443 Killen time

Is there a difference between a buck track and a doe track:noidea:
    I have heard that the buck is more rounded and more separate :noidea:

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

What I can tell you is this. Most of the time Bucks are heavier than does hence the toes of an adult buck are spread apart more than a doe. Also if it is a bigger buck not only will the toes be farther apart but you will also see the marks from the dew claws with the track. The length of the track also is a dead giveaway. Here is a photo of a more than likely Buck Track. But remember the softer the area the farther even the does will sink in the dirt.

3. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

I was shown this once while tracking in the snow: when a deer walks it's back legs step in the exact same spot as the front leg as it moves. A large bodied buck generally has a wider back end than the front so it's back legs will step just outside of the print left from his front legs.. Don't know if this works for smaller buck?

4. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I had never heard this before Sin.... But I don't claim to know everything ether. Thanks for posting this....:peace:

5. timberghost

timberghost Senior Member

Nice 4x4 muley buck track! Check book is 6 3/4" long.

[​IMG]

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I never heard that either Sin...I'll have to check it out...:noidea:

I do know that in the snow a buck will tend to drag it's toe where a doe lifts her feet when she walks...:noidea:
    I was always told it's because bucks are lazy...:laugh:

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I have heard that before Sin......and I have also heard what BA said also....

8. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

There's a big difference........when your at full draw.:lol:

9. timberghost

timberghost Senior Member

Ain't that the truth!!:lol:

10. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Sorry,i was clowning around a bit.The average buck wght's 140 where i hunt and it's not uncommon for the doe's to go 120.The main thing i look for is the length of the track and how far apart the toe's are spreaded and if the the ground is soft enough or snow...i look for the dew claw print.

11. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

I was backwards with what I said, the chest is wider than the backend, therefore the back prints are just inside the front. The link in the last post talks about this.