Issues with 3D targets

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by jt13077, Aug 24, 2007.

1. jt13077

jt13077 Senior Member

We are having problems with woodpeckers chewing apart our 3D targets, any suggentions? :noidea:

2. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Bring them in and don't let them sit out. For whatever reason they seem to like the Delta/ Mckenzie targets.

What I have noticed is that they do not go after the Rinehart targets:noidea: I don't think they like the foam????

3. jt13077

jt13077 Senior Member

We bring them in for the winter, but there are 40 targets and we have a league during the summer.

4. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

.22 caliber LR ???

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

hehe better check your local regs. normally shooting any song bird or wood pecker is a violation of game law and results in a fine and loss of license.

My parents put up some plastic owl's on their house (wood peckers were going after carpenter bees and making huge holes). This worked a bit... I don't think there is any option other then Jay Are's suggestion

6. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Not sure how your summer league works... but is there a way that you can tarp and bungie them before and after every shoot?:noidea:

Leaving targets out is usally not a best practice. Leaving a target out in the elements drys them out, fades the colors and allows the birds to build nests inside the targets. Not to mention, which hasn't happen to me yet, but other animals getting to them (dogs, bears)

7. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I know that my club has problems if the leave the tarkets sit out. They fill up with ants. Try a light dusting of ant killer powder on the ground and see if that keeps the wood peckers away from the decoys.:noidea:

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

the woodpeckers are there to get the bugs inside, so the only option is to cover them or take them in....you dicision at this point....

9. poorshot

poorshot Senior Member

Moth Balls (I should know better. C'mon, Lets here it)

Pick spot where it won't hurt target and make holes, and put moth balls in them. They will smell bad, but nothing will bother them.

10. jt13077

jt13077 Senior Member

Thanks for the idea!:rockon: