Jewish prespective on Tat's

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by Holy Smokes, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Here is a Rabbi and how he expresses the jewish belief of the Old testament on tat's:cool:
    whats yours ,:biggrin1: http://www.aish.com/societyWork/salomonSays/Tattoos_for_Jews$.asp

2. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

from my religious side: I think basically the same way he thinks.

From my "less" religious side: I don't care for tattoos that everyone can see all the time or too many tattoos. It really depends on the person and the tattoo if they look decent or not. I had a Marine buddy that had just 1 or 2 USMC tattoos that looked pretty good.

3. SinGin

SinGin Banned

Leviticu sure has some strange rules in there. I'm still trying to figure out Leviticus 19:19 about the clothing. Care to clarify it for me Smokes?

4. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

We are talking about tattoo's, not clothing :peace: :lol: :lol:

5. SinGin

SinGin Banned

Read your bible young lady. It all ties together. Just skip the first two books and go straight to Leviticus.

6. Holy Smokes

First one has to realize that the Jew was a separate entity among all the peoples of the world
    none other was liken unto him nor did any other serve his God him only could he call Jehovah the true God
    Now armed with this info
    Jehovah wanted His people to be a differnt people set apart as His only beloved
    so He had them to dress in a manner that he would be known as a Jew
    Men had thier dress code and women had thier own dress
    of course this was to denote the separation of sexes of the which God is still concerned about today and cross dressing was and still abomination to God today.
    God never does change on the sin question.
    If it was a sin then it is a sin forever.
    the cloths were for the covering of the body and as the Rabbi professed that it is on loan from God and does not belong to His people and the temple is to serve and to bring to God glory with.
    i hope this helps out Singin:cool:

7. SinGin

SinGin Banned

O.K. so what about the tatoos?? Godd, bad, indefferent??

8. Holy Smokes

9. Holy Smokes

God always has an opinion for His most prized possesion ,us
    the NT says he who destroys thier tabernacle(of the Holy Ghost) him will God destroy.
    which doesn't mean a fellar can't repent or may not be saved at the point of it's inception
    now this should liven things up a bit,:laugh:

10. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

No need to ask questions or debate, it is all open to interpretation and who interprets it :peace:

11. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

This could be argued also on the point on the type of tattoo's we're talking about. We decorate our churches and temples etc. and if the body is also considered sacred then some tattoos could be construed as decorative. Of course satanic one's would not. I think it all depends on the personal perception on why the desire to get the tattoo is so important. Is it a thing of art, rememberence, rebellion or honor. I haven't one myself but have entertained the idea often. In the latter part of Sept. (this year) I am attending a re-union (USMC in Quantico Va.) of the outfit I was with on my first tour in "Nam. Most have a "tat of a skull with a helmet, The letters Delta 1-7 above and the words USMC and Viet Nam below. Don't be surprised if I come home with one. But the skull would not be signifying anything satanic but only in rememberence of those that "stayed behind".

So I guess I'm saying that whether 'tats are good or bad depends on the individuals reason for getting them and the choice of tattoo itself. IMHO:noidea:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  12. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

Well stated.:nod:

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

my boss has a picture of his son, that was killed, on his forearm..........

the tattoo is unbelivably well done, it looks like a portrait.......

tattoo's arent for everyone, get one if you like, dont if you dont like them......

I have some that were really well done, and then i have seen some that made me wonder about what the person was thinking.......

I knew a girl the was phenominally good looking.......she had a Tramp stamp of a 12 point buck.......IT WAS AWESOME.....

14. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

:rockon: HOT!!! :rockon:

15. submrnr729

submrnr729 New Member

Did you end up getting your tat? My father too was a Marine in Viet Nam, has a skull with a scroll that says Marines underneath it on his forearm. He has hated it for years unfortunately as it made his career as a banker a bit difficult. Hard to explain a skull tattoo in the 80's.

He has always hated my tattoos, but eventually gave up on trying to get me to stop getting them. They are concealed unless I want them to be and have meaning, mainly Navy related tattoos.

My mother subscribes to the Catholic view that the body is a temple and should not be marked with tattoos. I agree that when done with taste, meaning, and as a personal reflection they are an adornment.

16. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

It used to be a rule that Jews with Tattoos couldn't be buried in Jewish Cemeteries. I asked a Israeli/American about that.
    He said they would cut the tattoo off, and that solved the problem.

17. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

And people wonder why the number of people claiming to be atheist or agnostic have skyrocketed in the last 10 - 20 years? THIS IS WHY!

Religion is a huge cult whose whole purpose is to collect money from people for providing them with a "service" that will pay off in the end and if they are wrong then who cares, its not like they have to give a refund. (sorry Smokes but thats they way I see it)

"There is only 1 true god" in theory if this is true there should be a WHOLE lot of refunds being given out as there are hundreds of religions and levels of each religion, each claiming the reward will be worth the time and sacrifice spent in obtaining it.

If there was a religion that said "You should live your life by our rules and in the end you will be worm food" think they would have many subscribers? Nope. Its that "promise" of huge rewards that we are hard wired to accept as the way to live life. reincarnation, heaven, paradise, whatever the "end" has in store for the religious person its all got to be worth the money they donate.

Sheep need to be guided to a goal, whether that goal is the promiseland or the end... noone knows

18. Holy Smokes

I respect your views although you might want to reconsider
    as for tha paying your way into tha pearly gates
    if it is true
    It ain't gonna happen

19. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Do we not decorate our Churches? (temples). As far as Did I get the Tat....NO....Some Domestic problems came up and I unfortunatly was not able to go.

And as far as your father... What outfit and when... Also a good friend I was with bacame a banker and is from OHIO. They wouldn'y call your dad "Packy" would they?

20. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Everyone has his own beliefs on whether there is a God and a Heaven and Hell. I, for one am a believer. But I have to add that in the end I will be better off finding out I'm wrong than those going from the non-believer side finding out they were.......

There is only 1 true god" in theory if this is true there should be a WHOLE lot of refunds being given out as there are hundreds of religions and levels of each religion, each claiming the reward will be worth the time and sacrifice spent in obtaining it.

My beliefs are that there is only One True God. No matter by what name your religious beliefs name him. He is the Same God and there are many paths to him. We have to choose the path that is right for us as individuals and that God will judge us by our own acts and intentions. A religion shoud not be chosen by what is the easiest but by what our own individual callings.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008