kenetic energy

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by 62flint, Jul 20, 2007.

1. 62flint

62flint Member

Just curious, I have heard it mentioned before. I just can't remember the numbers. What is the amount of kenetic energy required to get a pass thru on a whitetail deer standing broad side?
    Now who wants to guess the amount of Ke required to break a shoulder if it is hit?

2. gmherps

gmherps Senior Member

Well, I'm not too sure about KE, but I know for a fact that a longbow at 40# can get a straight up pass thru when it doesn't hit bone.

3. Big Country

Big Country Member

40 ft. lbs. of KE is the usual recommended minimum for whitetails. If hit in the right place, you can get a passthrough with less...

On shoulder hits.......if you hit the ball and socket squarely, you are NOT getting through it, regardless of your setup.

4. 62flint

62flint Member

I was just wondering. I shoot about a 380 grain arrow 265 fps. I use g5 montecs that I can shave with. I have to date always gotten pass thrus. But my longest shot is around 25 yards standing broadside. I was wondering if I screwup and hit bone in the shoulder what may happen.:noidea:

5. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

I Agree 200%!!:peace: I always get a kick out of it when someone says I shot completely through both shoulders:doh: It ain't happenin:biggrin1:

Dan

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Yeah it sounds like another speed bow story to me.:tape:

I agree with you 201%.:laugh:

7. Big Country

Big Country Member

According to the numbers you provided, you are making 59.27ft. lbs. or KE

That is enough to pass completely through a whitetail in almost any situation.