Leave archery - no decent bows to buy!

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Dooby, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

I did a visit to my 3 local shops (local is relative....I spent almost 5 hours in the car getting to them). After finally narrowing down my bow list (thanks to help from you guys here) I asked about my short list:
    Mathews Drenalin LD, Bowtech Commander, Elite Xtreme XL

After wasting a lot of my time...and event going further down my short list, I've come to the conclusion that I can't listen to the 'local experts'. If I did I'd believe there is not a bow worth having these days. From their mouths:
    - Mathews will get bows here fast, but can't get cams to change DL easily, finish is crap, level nock travel is unachievable and the tech is way behind the others... and their prices here are ridiculously high (because despise what's said...they are the best)
    - Bowtech = Blowtech. Can't keep a set of limbs on their bows. Crap service after the limbs blow, long lead times to get a bow, and cams tend to die when the limbs do. Also apparently impossible to get anyone around here to tune one properly...and once tuned the limbs go.
    - Elite. Even the Australian primary distributor says he won't sell me an Elite. He said called it a Blowtech only from the reject pile. Blown limbs were the biggest complaint followed by poor service, attitude to the distributors, etc.
    - Hoyt. Brilliantly constructed bows but insanely long lead times and customer service that sets a new standard for crap.

The only bow that even got a LITTLE bit of a nod from all three was the Mathews, but it'll cost me almost $2000 by the time I get the bow and grip worked out.

I'm almost to the point of giving up. Can any of your recommend a bow shop (local or authorized online) that has decent prices, will deal with Australian residents, and is competent? I'd rather have a US company with my money, anyway :usa:.

What do you guys think? Should I just give it a miss entirely, or do you have a better option. My desire is high...but my pockets aren't bottomless.

Thanks guys. :Cry: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

2. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Did you look on (and I hate to say it) ......................ebay? You can find new bows or used bows on there, and I know I have shipped a bow to Australia.

3. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

Ebay?

Even new bows bought on ebay aren't warranted by the mfg are they? If the limbs do pop like Jiffy Pop, no warranty. How much is a naked riser worth? :)

4. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I would say check the classifieds. I understand no warranty but maybe at a price you can afford. Check out Mission,Bear,Martin,Diamond,Reflex. Nice bows at more affordable pricing. But I think you can get some great deals in the classifieds here or on AT. Good luck and enjoy archery thats what its all about.:peace:

5. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

some of the members here own shops and i am sure they can somehow someway ship you the bow you want. the shops around my area NEVER bad mouth anothers product. the common phrase used around here is something like "with todays technology you can not buy a new bow that is bad" My advice is to ask around here and see who owns a shop and if they can help you out. I think wpbowmaster owns one and Chris does too i believe. jcmorgan31 has a shop as well. Any of these guys would gladly do what they could for you they are all great guys.

6. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Your going to have a hard time getting a dealer to ship you a bow. Mathews and Hoyt do not allow any mail order/internet sales. Bowtech will under certain conditions.

We already know from experience that they will not allow us to ship to Australia because of the distributor you have there. Lord knows I wish I could ship to Australia, I would sell a LOT more Bowtechs. Any dealer that ignores the rules set down by the manufacturer risk losing their dealership.

I don't know about other dealers, but I will not risk my dealership over the sale of one bow.

By the way, don't listen to all the crap that gets posted on the web about bows, it's only about 2% truth at 98% crapola. The bows you picked are good bows.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  7. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

I think 95% of the time, you send a bow manufacturer a defective part of something they made, they will replace it at your shipping cost. I know Martin Archery for 1 have lifetime warranties (although issued to the original owner) they still will take care of you, no doubt. They aren't in the same class as Elite or Bowtech, but they are right there with Mathews. And most new bows you would buy from Ebay should come in the original boxing which should include a warranty card, I'd sure think.

8. SOILhunter

SOILhunter New Member

Try this place.. http://huntersfriend.com/ The site says that you, being international, will have to call in to place your order. But it might be worth a try if you are serious about getting a bow.

9. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I just sent you a pm.

10. if we were to believed everything bad that it is said about every compound bow made and made our choice based on just that, then I don't think any one would be shooting a compound bow. Ask your dealers what bows they are selling that is keeping them in buiseness, I am sure if all those bows were as bad as they say then they would be out of buiseness.

11. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

Thanks

Thanks guys. I know I had a bit of a blow up...but I really get tired of dealers around here that are more eager to knock dow another product rather than pump up their own.

I definitely don't want anyone risking their livelihood to help me get a bow or two, so that's totally understood. I now know of at least two options I have to get a new bow.

I suppose a third desperate option, is to have my brother pick one up locally and ship it to me (remember, I'm a Yank living in Australia...not an Aussie...so my family is still in Missouri). Sometimes you just need to :Cry: then :frusty: and possibly :censored: to get it out of your system.

FYI: I have NEVER encountered (in 8+ years) ANY Australian distributor of ANYTHING that would honor the manufacturer's warranty unless it was purchased within Australia from one of their retail outlets....and sometimes not even then. Maybe that means I should just expect to have to ship it back to the US for a fix. :usa: Enlightenment is so stress relieving. :D

Thanks again, guys.

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I for one, KNOW EXACTLY what your talking about....:frusty:

13. earthling

earthling SURVIVALISTS live longer

Trad

Thats why TRAD rules.... dont have to worry about the training wheel crap

14. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Very true................there is much to be said about Trad. Simplicity is sometimes a very good thing.:cool:

15. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

You mean...no one argues about which recurve risers and limbs are the best!? :hippie:

But...but...but...what about the whiz bang geek gear that defines my very existance?!:nerd: