Less than 48 hours until my bear hunt trip

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Dens228, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

Well, I've packed and repacked, tuned the bow, checked the arrows, went over everything again and again. I'm sure I'm over-packed but this being my first bear hunt and having to drive over 20 hours I'd rather be over than under.

I'm leaving Saturday after my sons football game.

Man it's getting hard to sleep............

2. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

Have fun. Its awesome. I went on one in Maine a few years ago and loved every minute of it. I would do it again in a heartbeat!! And the meat tastes great!

3. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

Where did you go in Maine?

I'm heading to Oxbow Lodge.

4. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Good luck. :wave: Do you have a back-up bow?

5. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Good luck, have fun and take lots of pictures for us :peace:

6. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I would ask ya ta count sheep . but I am afraid thay would turn into bears:laugh:
    Hope ya score a great ol big bar.

7. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

No, I have a back up 12 gauge if anything happens to the bow.

I'll have lots of photos and hopefully some video.

8. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Very cool dude. Good luck and have a blast.

12 gauge backup........good idea.:peace:

9. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha,Dens!

I checked out Oxbow lodge, sounded like a great outfitter,it was my first choice if i was going for bear, let me know i might take the trip next year!
    I was flipping coins on a deer hunt or a bear hunt, i want a big buck first!
    Have a good one and show them pic's when ya get back!:biggrin1:

10. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I hunted with Foggy Mountain in Maine 3 years ago. This was the best hunting trip of my life. I will go back to do it again.

I know what you mean about not being able to sleep. If you think you are anxious now what till the first bear shows up.

Taxe your time and look the bear over before you shoot. They all look like giants when you are in a tree.

Good luck

11. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

16 hours and counting!

12. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

Good luck and have a great time!! Look forward to the pics

13. thehairlessone!

thehairlessone! Senior Member

14. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

Thats cool man... I got probably another year to get enough points to go again. Its a rush though. Especially w/ a bow!! Good luck.

15. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Good luck...Maybe one of these days if enough of those Ark. bears keep comming accross the line i'll be able to bow hunt them........if i'm still alive:laugh: .

16. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

Well, I got back last night after hunting Saturday night and leaving 2 hours after the last hunt of the week.

This was my first bear hunt and the bears were hitting the baits very late in the day. There were 25 hunters in camp and it was difficult if not impossible to see in the thick brush even when it was still 20 minutes to the end of legal shooting time.

Thursday morning my guide told me he thought I should switch to a scoped rifle for no other reason than to add a couple of minutes to my hunting time but if I didn't want to he was fine with that too.

Long story short I made the switch and at 6:55 pm on the last day after sitting in the rain for almost 4 hours. The rain stopped at about 6:45. I shot a nice looking 145 pounder with a scoped 7mm rifle. He made it about 25 yards.

I had a great time, the lodge was great, the people were great. I will go back but stick with the bow next time.

17. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Senior Member

7mag built for champions :rockon:

18. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Congatulations on the bear. Would you have been able to get him with the bow?

Please send pics and video if you got it.

19. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

The distance was 32 yards, I could have shot it with a bow but doubt I had enough light without the scope. Also the stand was not set up for a bow, I was pretty much set in amongst the branches and would not have been able to draw.

I don't have video but will post pictures of the bear.

20. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

A few photos
    The bear
    A view from my stand
    A beautiful lake