Let-off ?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Mathews Man, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

Ok I shoot a 60lbs bow at 65% let off, And crunching the numbers tells me a 70lbs bow at 80% let-off would give me a lower holding weight. Is this right?

2. hodge

hodge Junior Member

Yes #21 to #14 #7 difference

3. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

ha there

This is an impossable question to answer..except if your talking about the same brand and make of bow.

% of let-off's of all manufactures have allways been off..sometimes way off
    ive came across bows that advertise 75% let-off you get it put it on a scale
    its only about 68% ..
    also from what ive found the higher let-off the slower fps your gonna have to shoot higher poundage if ya want speed.:wave:

4. Werd

Werd Senior Member

72lb draw, 65% letoff for me.:peace:

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

That's exactly correct.

That and there are some folks that like a higher holding weight then other folks. It's preference.

And, yes, a higher letoff will result in lower arrow speed, all other things being equal.

Ron

6. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

Ok here is a long story for my question.

I am shooting a Mathews Ovation 60 lbs(more like 58) at 65%

I am looking to buy a new bow hopefully by the end of this year, I am looking at either a used Switchback, Switchback XT- or new Dreilan or SQ2. So I love the way the bow I shoot now holds as far as weight. But in looking for a new bow I think I want more speed,and I have noticed that the Bow shops handle 80% let-off. So If the holding weight is lower or the same this may be the way to go for me.

7. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

well this is how it works
    the 65% letoff is gonna shoot faster than the 80% any day on the same poundage on any brand.

to achieve the same speed of the bow thats 80% your gonna have to crank it up alot and still pull that harsh draw back.

thats why most brands advertise that they shoot like for example: 325fps on 70lbs at 65% letoff.
    and they offer the same bow in 80% which may only shoot 295fps if that.
    so you have to weigh the pros and cons of the bows you looking at.

me im 47years old and i dont pull big weight anymore either
    i shoot a 28.5inch draw...62lbs on a 65% bow shooting 288fps
    thats great for me..but i do have 80% cams that came with my bow and i changed them 1 time..at 65lbs the bow only shot 270-275
    thats the good and bad of let-off.
    hope this helped in any way :wave:

8. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

I see what your saying. So the main problem is if I want a 60lbs bow at 65% I will probaly have to order it from my shop. Since most bow sold and carried by the shops are 80%:doh: And I was really hoping to get a used bow but I think most of the used ones are 80%:Cry:

9. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

ha bud

no
    what i was sayin is most bows..the same model come in both.
    but you said you wanted to go faster you have to watch that.
    because when a bowmodel lists that it shoots a certain speed
    its talking about,most of the time the 65%let-off one

take the same bow in 80% its gonna shoot way slower.
    you try to crank it up to get your speed back, you see
    :wave:

10. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

So buy a used bow and then get a different cam for it. I think you can pick up a cam for around $40-$50.

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I am almost strictly shooting 65% letoff now,

I liked the 80% for a while, but now that I am doing more target shooting I much prefer 65%........

12. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

This 65% versus 80% comparison on speed does not hold true of BowTech's Binarys. They will shoot faster set at 80% letoff than they will set on 65% letoff:cool:

Dan

13. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Hmmmmm....................:bowl:

14. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

ha bro

If any bow can shoot on the same poundage.on the 80%let-off faster than the 65%let-off
    thats new to me.
    most speeds from the manufactures calculate there blistering speeds on the 65% lett-off and at 80%let-off, on the same poundage, they cant touch that speed.
    maybe there is such a bow that can do it .:noidea:

15. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

Well you just learned something new then. I thought most people knew that about the Binarys, but evidently not. :cool:

I'm not the only one to find this out. It actually has to do with cam rotation on the Binarys.;)

All of BowTechs IBO and BC numbers are using 80% letoff to get those numbers.

Dan

16. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

Now that is a idea, If I save 300 on a used bow and buy new strings and cam I will still save money vrs a new one.

17. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

So to you Mathews dealers- Have you tested a 60lbs or 70 lbs bow at 65% and 80% to compair speed?

18. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

with the deals that can be had, out there, there really isnt reason for people to by BRAND NEW all the time!!:noidea:

19. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I have "heard" you only gain 5 or so FPS when going to 65%

I still like the hold and feel of 65% better.........

20. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

ha bud

thats cool i havent worked on a bowtech just the diamond black ice
    at the shops they do carry alot but they just set there
    I work on between 5-15 bows right before bowseason 2 of the black ice
    the rest hoyts..mathews..pse..martian..
    I shot a guardian..great shootin bow..but i pulled back from buying 1
    when they first came out..this big time staff shooter came down to a big shoot we had..with a trecked out guardian . thought he was gonna smoke ev1 there.:noidea:
    he didnt finish the shoot..came walking back up front with 60people standing there waiting..and the bow was in pieces..the cable exploded and broke the cam axle thru the limb..i think after that happened is the reason you can go in his shop today , and the same guardians are still setting on his shelf after a year.

i know the diamond Black Ice..made by bowtech ..shoots faster off 65% we've tested it..but not the bowtechs with the new systems
    ill have ta read up..thats cool

so with that going on with the botechs it would be stupid for them to even make a 65% let-off bow anymore i dont see why people would buy them.:noidea: