lighting scare

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by longcut36, Apr 28, 2008.

1. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

a friend and I were taking in the 3D targets sunday when it came up a bad Storm. we got in my truck to wait it out. all of a sudden there was a tremendous bang and flash of light and chunks of wood and splinters hitting my truck. lighting had hit a tree about 25 yards from us. wish I could say it didnt scare me but I would be lying like a dog.

2. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

Let me be the first to say...good to still have you with us!

3. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

that would be scary. Glad you are okay.

4. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

i know how you feel, ive almost gotin it twice! the frist time it hit the chimney about 15 feet from me and the 2nd it hit the tv antenna about 30 feet from me. man is it loud.

5. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

yep that'll rattled your cage.

6. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

A guy I work with got struck in his back yard last year, kind of freaky. Glad your OK!

7. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Scary as heck isn't it. I used to have a 10ft Sat Dish in my backyard and it got hit 3 seperate times in a 15 yr period (so much for lightening never strikes 2 in the same spot) All three times I was laying in bed and all of the sudden I could feel all the hair standing up on my body, a big flash of light and KABOOM.(never had to worry about constipation for a long time after that) Then you could smell the ozone smell. All three times it wiped out all my TV's,(3) VCRS(3) and the electronics on the Sat Dish. Loved it! My homeowners took care of it all. My deduction was only $200 at the time and got all new electronics for the $200. TV's, VCRS and upgraded my Sat system. I was happy with it. It was considered an "Act of God" and never raised my homeowners insurance. :peace: :rockon:

8. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

A guy you WORK with...or WORKED with? If he survived, he's lucky.

One fella I grew up with became a farmer like his dad. In an open field, there isn't much sticking up except you...or the vehicle you're in. During a lightning storm he stepped out onto the deck to check his spray rig and a shot hit him. Literally burned his clothes off. Anywhere metal was near his skin he had 2nd and 3rd degree burns (snaps, zippers, boot eyelets, belt buckle, etc.). Remember...he was on a 3 wheeled spray rig with rubber tires!

He survived, but the poor guy was never the same..never. He now has an odd twitch, a fairly severe speech impairment, and numerous coordination issues. His condition reminds me of people who suffer a moderate stroke.

Remember all the stuff about lightning safety from when we rolled our eyes as kids? Some of that stuff is really important.

Like I said before, I'm really happy we haven't lost any of you guys with the near misses you've survived.

It all makes sense now....God is an archer!:peace:

9. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Glad to hear everything is ok LC. I would have had to change my undies I believe.:peace:

10. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Glad you're ok LC...
    When I was a kid I was camping with the family in New Jersey and it started pouring all of a sudden so we get in the old popup camper and BAM a bolt hits a tree at the edge of the campsite like 20-25 yrds form the door of the camper...HOT DAMN...That scared the Bajeezes outa me...That maple was about 12" in diameter and it just exploded mid-trunk, like a firecracker...

Dooby...We have a local guy that's been struck 3 times in the last 20 yrs, they call him "Lightnin' Bob"...:dizzy: He's fine, just alittle jumpy when it rains...:lol:

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

:lol: :lol: :lol: