Limb Bolt Lubricant???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by rqthunter, Jun 21, 2007.

1. rqthunter

rqthunter Member

I have a Bowtech Guardian and heard on here that you should use some lubricant on the bolts as steel bolts can lock up in the aluminum threads. What type of lubricant should be used? Any thoughts.

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I don't know about that. Every Guardian I have sold has been easy to turn the limb bolts. I think with this design there is a lot less pressure on the bolts compared to other bow designs.

3. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Try taking one out in a pouring rain a couple times. The bolts are steel, they will rust. I use Break Free gun oil on mine, after that happened a couple times. No problems now. I expect any gun lube would work. Run them way out, apply, and run them back in. Done.

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

What works very well on threads to prevent galling, rust and thread damage is silicone grease. You can get it at any hardware store in the plumbing area. It's very thick stuff and a little goes a really long way. It's basically a much thicker version of what gets applied to gun socks to help prevent corrosion. I've been using the stuff for threads, protecting rubber (weather stripping), etc for many years. And, it's very inexpensive and has no odor.

Ron

5. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Limb bolts!

I use 100% synthentic,white Marine grease.
    Run the bolts out and apply to the threads.
    It will last the life of the bow!:peace:

6. rqthunter

rqthunter Member

Marine Grease

Where do you find that stuff?

7. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Where?

I noticed while putting it on my boat engine parts that water doesnt effect it!
    I was working on an older bow one day that had the same problem!
    Now when ever i take a bow all the way down i put this grease on the limb bolts and, it works great.
    I also rub alittle on my cable slide when im hunting in the rain, works great.
    I get it at a marine boat dealership, you can probably find it anywhere that sells boat stuff! Wal-mart, sears, kmart,etc
    It comes in a small yellow tube:pennzoil, marine, NLGI Grade #2, i just read it off the container, hope that helps!:biggrin1:

8. rqthunter

rqthunter Member

Cool. Does it have a scent?

9. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

No!

I had a feeling you would ask, smart hunter!
    No very little, less than regular grease or motor oil.
    Its a white grease with almost no smell!:biggrin1:

10. rqthunter

rqthunter Member

Exellent! Thanks kbohunt.