Lone wolf treestands

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by lungcutter, Jan 19, 2008.

1. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Does anyone have any experience with the hand climber that they sell. I am interested in some feed back on what you think about the stands.

I don't want to know that you think they cost too much, Dredly:lol: :lol: J/K

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

The stands are great. In fact I would say one of the best. I use the sit and climb though.

3. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Are they as quiet as they say?:noidea:

4. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

I have the Sit N Climb and the Alpha Assault. They are both very quiet.
    I was out last Wednesday in a stand that I had pre-hung in June, it squeaked every time I shifted my weight to look behind me. It was NOT a Lone Wolf.
    My Lone Wolfs don't do that as long as the bolts are tight.

5. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

Yes, and then some. :cool:

6. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I am going to look at the climbers at the Eastern sport show in February. I might be interested in one if the price is right.

7. Timmer

Timmer Member

They cost too much.

Just kidding. I bought the Alpha sit & climb model. Once I started using it correctly it was great. Need to make sure the straps are cinched tight or the seat portion can fall down the tree. Scared the crap out of me the first time that happened. Other than that the stand was very quiet. I haven't used it in the cold though. Next season I'll be getting more use out of it on public land.

8. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Thanks for that little tip about the straps. Do you think I should look into getting the bigger straps too.

9. Cordwood

Cordwood Banned

No...I have the hand climber and have found the straps 'big enough' for most the trees im looking to get in. ...you can always upgrade later if needed.

The stand itself is a bit awkward the first few climbs until you get used to it. You may get a little frustrated but give it time. There are lots of tips I could give but for starters: leave a little extra slack in the belt so you can climb over nubs in the tree easier. When you get about 15-20ft, your platform might be angling down. Every LW hand climber user has to learn how to kneel down on the seat portion, lean down to level the platform with one hand, and pull in the slack with the other hand. ...makes climbing so much faster and quieter.

...imo its the ultimate climber for bowhunting. ...light, quiet, fast, and most importantly OPEN SHOOTING. :wave:

10. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Glade to see you made the change over to 3d shoots.:welcome: Thanks for the tip on using the platform.

11. Cordwood

Cordwood Banned

Thanks for the warm welcome! I hope the modding staff is way more chill than AT or this may only be a short visit.

Anyhow, get that LW! ...copy my email scott3769@yahoo.com incase I get banned, cus ive got more tips for you once you've given the climber a try.

Like to climb fast: top portion you anchor your elbows in the seat and grab the sides of the traction belt to pull the platform up. With the bottom flatform, it makes it easier to climb if you point your toes down at a hard angle. You see once you make a few climbs.

And for minor scent control I like to wear some thin/light gloves that still have good feel for grabbing the traction belt climbing and touching your stand in general and esp your pullrope. ...then once your sitting and got your bow laid across your lap, take the gloves off. ..wash your gloves often.

Also, the main complaint about LW is comfort...you might want to add a cushion. Gorilla makes the best one imo. ..this is the bigger one, but you want the smaller baby gorilla seat. I cant find it at BHSS. Anyhow, these cushions 'complete' the stand in the quest for the perfect bowhunting climber imo. Good luck! :wave:
    http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com...id=1b06cc6ece7cc732b5f22479c3888880&x=20&y=13

12. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

I just got my hand climber (about half way through hunting season), but I love it already. It's light, fast set up, and quiet climbing (for the most part). The only problem I have had was while climbing a Pine tree. The belt didn't like going across the rough bark to well. It takes a few climbs before you are comfortable with the way it works, but keep at it and give it a chance. They are excellent to hunt from, nothing in the way. The first time I used mine, I shot a 7pt that came in from my left and I didn't have to stand up or move around at all. The only other thing is, make sure you wear a safety system of some sort because, well.....there is nothing in the way to stop you from falling either.

13. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

I found that with the LW stands it's much easier if you really tilt the stand up, keeping the teeth against the tree, before moving the teeth away to go up or down. It gives the belt more space to clear rough bark.

14. Tax Lawyer

Tax Lawyer Support Stem Cell

I have two (2) hand climbers and they are great stands. The seat is not the most comfy thing in the world but it does not bother me too much.

15. Cordwood

Cordwood Banned

Another ATer! Whats up Taxman...I modified the seat to make it comfy. It still packs just as good as before, the bungy just stretches a little further but its tight and flat packing.

BHSS - this is the cushion everybody wants for the add on.
    http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com...id=1b06cc6ece7cc732b5f22479c3888880&x=11&y=10

..its smaller than the Gorilla Airide but fits the hand climber seat well. ..so I hear. Im getting one soon..last year I used a different cushion for my tushy but I cant remember the name. Eitherway, I love the LW so much I continued to use it though gun season as well. I dont want to use anything else ever again.

btw- I did several ALLDAY hunts last season. Sun up to sun down...so the comfort isnt all bad.

16. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot!

17. UPSTATE

UPSTATE Member

First year with my lone wolf sit n climb last fall. Had a blast going in and sitiing on fresh sign or going on morning hunts and setting up in the dark on benches without ever being there before. Shot 4 deer out of that stand and had numerous sightings/pass on deer. I would but my son in my ladders and wander a few hundred yards or so away and get opportunities. Quiet , quick, and light. The thing was always on my back (I'm 51) no problem.

18. Liv2Bowhunt

Liv2Bowhunt Senior Member

i think everyone covered all the basis, nothing else left to say except that they are great stands.

19. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Thanks for all the feed back on the lonewolf I cant wait to try one out.

20. goood reviews everyone, its some food for thought for me:thumb: