Long Island Hunter new to Bow Hunting HELP

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Longisalndhunter, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Longisalndhunter

Longisalndhunter Junior Member

I am new to Bowhunting. i have been a Shotgun/Rifle man my whole life. I have done some research and i think I know what I am looking for but I would like as much advice as possible.

I measured my draw length at 30"
    I am a big guy and pretty strong I believe that I would want a draw weight of 65# - 80# with a let off somewhere between 65% - 75%.

I also think a single cam is best for me. I have been looking for a used Bowtek tomkat or allegiance. Do you guys think this is a good starter bow. Some guy on the internet wanted to sell me a used PSE F26 or a Ben Pearson.

Does anybody have a BOW that would be good for me that they want to sell.

Can anybody recommend a good starter bow. I am looking at used bows because I cant afford to spend too much. Am I on the right track here.

Please help. THANKS

2. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

I would suggest a bow with a brace height of at least 6 3/4 inches to start for a new shooter. Don't get yourself caught up in the speed craze. Welcome to the world of bowhunting, you'll never look back. Good Luck

MoBowman ```---------->

3. Longisalndhunter

Longisalndhunter Junior Member

Thanks but....

Really? All the info I have read has pointed me toward sbrace heights of at least 7". I am a very big guy, a bodybuilder to be precise. would my strength play any role in choosing a brace height. How will a shorter brace height benefit me?

Thanks for your info!!

4. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

My recommendation is stay 7" brace or higher. With a 30" draw and the weights you are talking about, speed is not an issue. This assumes you are looking at a bow that is less than 3 years old.

The Tomkat is a great starter bow. High brace height and pretty fast. The allegiance is a two cam bow and you mentioned you wanted single cams. The allegiance is a great bow though.

5. Radar

Radar Story of my life

brace height

Chris is right a 7 or higher is good. When you start getting into the smaller brace hieght the less forgiving the bow is gonna be. Which means any mistakes in form are gonna be greatly increased. He is also right about the speed My hunting set up is 29" draw 70# with a pretty heavy arrow and I am still getting 270 fps. So you really wont have to worry the speed will be there. Have you looked at the archery equipment buy, sell, trade page on this site?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  6. Pinky

Pinky Senior Member

I don't consider the Allegiance a starter bow. Based on the fact that most people speak of starter bows having a low price tag.

The Allegiance is top of the line, IMO. Would it make a good starter bow? Yes, absolutely! I don't own one...yet...but I have shot them. WOW

You'll have to decide what you wish to invest in your first bow. :)

All the other info is right on here, IMO.

7. dzingale

dzingale Senior Member

Longisalndhunter, I pmed you. Let me know what you think.
    Danny

8. THRILL OF THE HUNT

THRILL OF THE HUNT New Member

measure twice...cut once

:welcome: that goes 3x for bows.
    a bow setup is a very personal item...much like a pair of eyeglasses.

IMHO you would be wiser to go to a pro shop, talk to them, try their new/used equipment prior to jumping on the internet, and standing a 99% chance of getting screwed.

Lots of use equipment have bent risers, split limbs, cam problems, :welcome: etc. which are not easily detectable.

You needn't spend a whole lot of $$ to enjoy the great sport of archery, but,in order to appreciate the sport...you must have the correct equipment for your size and useage.

9. elkslayer4x5

elkslayer4x5 EastOutfitters

10. Bowhunter4545

Bowhunter4545 Archery field tester

Hello, and welcome to this site, post often. :)