Long vs short arrows for indoor shoots

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by rdnkgrl_robinhood, Dec 31, 2006.

1. rdnkgrl_robinhood

rdnkgrl_robinhood Senior Member

Hey there fellas.. I have a question. Of course you all know I just got my new Selena for Xmas and I decided to go buy some pretty arrows to match the bow. I got some Easton 2613 X7 Eclipse arrows (big fat arrows :biggrin1: ) and had them fletched with 4 inch feathers.
    My question is how long should these arrows be? I have heard everything from full lenght to two inches past my rest.
    Currently they are full length at 30 inches and I am shooting them pretty well. My draw length is 26. So is 30 too long?
    What are the advantages/disadvantages to shooting longer or shorter arrows??:noidea:

rdnkgrl

2. arrows

your arrows should match to the weight of your bow,indoor or oudoor.for hunting they should be 1" past the riser,depending on the broudheads you use.for target (3d or paper) they should come 1" past your arrow rest prongs,whiskers etc.if your shooting a 55lb bow your arrows should weigh 275grains at least.if your shooting a 60lb bow they should weigh 300 grains at least.thats 5lbs per square inch,5x55=275 and so on.plus the shorter your arrows are the faster the bow will be.you don't want an arrow to stiff or to flimsy.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006

3. Radar

Radar Story of my life

The president of our Club has a real short draw and he has his X7 Eclipse 2613 arrows full length on the ProElite that he has setup for 300 Round. Kinda funny looking but it works out really well for him. He has like a 27" draw and those telephone poles are really sticking out there far. My X7 2613's are cut but they are still pretty long. I really don't think it matters as long as you are getting good arrow flight.

By the way what grain tips are you using?

4. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

There was a guy at my former shop that shot arrows sticking about 4 or 5 inches past the riser and he consistently shot 300 60X. So I think you should shoot what shoots well. For indoors speed means nothing at all, you are shooting from 20 yards all the time.:peace:

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

the real answer is it doesn't matter at all as long as the arrow is spined correctly to match the bow. If you want to shoot fat arrows at 35 inches long it doesn't matter as long as they fly correctly. Speed doesn't matter... i have yet to see an arrow go to slow to hit a target

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I have seen arrows go to slow to stick in a target and it wasnt even mine.....

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

well yes for outdoor but for myself I have a bow set up just for indoor....has 40-50 lbs limbs.......called of all things the Mathews SLOcon (ICON)

YOU ONLY NEED TO CLEAR THE CEILLING......
    how fast does your bow have to be to kill cardboard or foam at 20 yrds????

8. rdnkgrl_robinhood

Thats funny.. :) yeah you dont need a lot of take down power for targets :) they sure dont run very far after you shoot em:)

I guess I really wasnt worried about speed per say, I just dont want to do any damage to bow or arrows..Still being relatively new to the sport I didnt know how everything was affected.

rdnkgrl

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I have never heard of an arrow being so heavy that it damaged the bow.............no on the other hand i have heard of arrows being too lite.....

so the bottem line is if it is within safety specs then I dont beleive an arrow can be too long......

10. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

You could cut a few down and see which group better, although, if the longer arrows group better then you have sacrificed a few arrows.

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I can not beleive that no one has said this yet......

but the longer the arrow, the closer it is to the target before you shoot it......

does anyone know where I can get 20yrd shafts from?????

12. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Grl, There is such a thing as point is front of center and it has a certian wieght . There is tool to determine the wieght at the point front of center for proper shooting, You do not see that used much any more. I have one and easton makes the points for this. you might ask your local pro about this. I am not trying to cause a stink:biggrin1: only inform you of some tried and true methods of archery. HS

13. rdnkgrl_robinhood

I appriciate all words of wisdom :) thnx for the help!

rdnkgrl

14. rdnkgrl_robinhood

Let me know if you find some, I may have to get a few of those :peace:

15. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Oh how times have changed. Seems like only yesterday(actually about 10years) that everyone wanted an overdraw so they could shoot those little 23-26 inch arrows really fast. Now we want 20 yard arrows:laugh: Maybe if I live a few more years that old overdraw will come back into popularity.........................................................................ok maybe not.:peace:

16. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I'd suggest 19 yrd arrows...could be bad if it doesn't clear the riser before it hits the target...JMO...:noidea:

17. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

you gotta point there didnt think of that one....

18. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yes but an overdraw was used when so many people were shooting alluminums and by takeing off a few inches you really lightened thearrow, significantly....plus w/alluminums we had alot more spines to use.....now there are basically 4 spine sizes....some companies only have 3.....

19. rdnkgrl_robinhood

Ok fellas, I have shot those Easton 2613 X7 Eclipse for a few days and I am not sure I like them. I am afraid to cut them down because they would be so stiff I think tuning would be out of the question.
    I am now looking at maybe some of the Easton 2312's. That may lighten things up a little bit. Not sure.. wish I had a few I could try before I buy..
    LOL.. any one got a few for sale cheap? :peace:

rdnkgrl

20. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

hmmm lemme look...

I have some Easton X7 2512 that I'm not using... they would need re-fletched as the guy I bought them from thought 4 fletchings looked cool I guess?

Or you could just go get the really cool OnTarget software and put your bow specs in and it will tell you what you should be shooting :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007