Longer yardages

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Wheely, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I have noticed, especially lately that the longer the yardage (50-60 yrds) I have some serious target panic or something. It's not just a twitch, I jump alot at these yardages. Any ideas to help with this, besides a lot more practice at 40-60 yards?

When we were 3Ding I always did better on the long shots, now I am all over the place :noidea:

2. SA hunter

SA hunter Junior Member

I had the same problem, though my problem was a little bit of creep, and my anchor points I found once I had lenthed my draw lengh it was much more forgiving when shooting 50+. This im sure is not the same problem as you, but just a thought. hahaha o and lots of practice helps too.:laugh:

3. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

I delt w/ that when I first started shooting further distances, I only use pins you see, none of those high fallutin scopetronicmajiggers:p so depending on the size and distance of the spot I was aiming for my pin would begin to cover it up completly, so I began to twicth my bow back and forth trying to find my aiming pt. I got used to it and accepted it, then moved to 0.010 pins, that made a big diff. for me.

4. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I think the smaller pin sizes would make a big difference. They sure helped me to be more accurate at longer ranges.

5. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I have been thinking about the smaller pin sizes lately. I have a Spot Hogg, Do I have to change the whole pin or just the fiber optic thingys?

I have also been considering sighting in so I have to put my pin right on the top of the spot :noidea:

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

shoot 90 yards!

that way you'll panic on the 90 yard target instead of the 60 yard one :laugh:

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Excellent advice ! :bowl:

Ron

8. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

I actually panic from 10-20 cause I know I should be able to hit that spot. Where as from 60, if I'm with in a couple inches I'm happy.

9. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

practice at 70 and 80 for a week. then shoot 50 and 60. it will look so close that you wont even think about it. try a bt release for awhile. gets that timer out of your head. Also, practice drawing down. not every shot is going to be a good one. sometimes you can hold on a dot. and sometimes you cant. draw down when you cant and start over. breathing techniques help steadyness..y6our thinking to much. just let the arrow go where its going to go. stop trying to force your self to hold on it. its gonna float...

10. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Ok, I am going out to the range tomorrow for some practice...anyone going to come out and help me :noidea:

11. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I think I just heard Bowmans truck start up........

12. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Airfare coming anyone's way ??? :laugh:

Ron

13. poorshot

poorshot Senior Member

Sight

I moved my sight bar all the way out. The larger pin gap seemed to help a lot.

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

15. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

pretend its 20 yards:laugh: :laugh:

16. tresmon

tresmon Member

Wheels,

Granted I'm going on a month into archery, but going on 30 years of serious, multi-discipe markmanship(firearms based.)

One concept I have heard of in every discipline of marksmanship (Except bows?) is pretty easy & straight forward. it is this. Think of a simple ONE time you released an arrow, and it hit exactly where you wre aiming.

Thats the mian ingrediant. I have shot at the highpower rifle nationals many times. I have shot in the shotgun(trapshooting) world nationals many times. These include many local and state level matches, too many to count. Pistol shooting as well. I have been coached by legends, and coached many myself. Trust me this works...

Before you draw`and release, see that one (or many) shots that hit the X in your mind. Eeven if you need to close your eyes for a moment; watch that video clip in your mind a few times. relive it all. Feel the perfect anchor, see the perfect sight alignment on the target with practically no wiggle. feel the perfect release and see the nock streak away to the dead center of the X. fell how exilerating it is. fell how happy it made you. Slant this all towards MELLO relaxation and feel it's an easy little task.

KEY: if you have EVER became good enough to hit an X, then you literally can hit an X everytime. that is a fact. you cant argue against it. you have the equipment to that is up to the task if you ever did it once, you have the body to do it evertime if you ever did it once, abd you have the mind to do it every time. You proved it. YOU HAVE HIT AN X. Any X, at any RANGE is all you need. Then you should BE COFIDENT, you have proven this as fact already.

So relax just a second before the draw. Run your "Mental Program" we call it. the mind/video with feelings/emotions thing. Convince yourself, beieve even brainwash your self to the point you know as fact your next shot can easily be an X with little effort & in short order- that it will & is going to be an X.

take a deep breath, let a comfortable amount out and then as you draw- soothingly let the rest out & continue breathing normally. (exercise coaches will tell you to breath out when your tightening the muscle, and to breath in when releasing the muscle tension.)

Now, for this next shot you live inside a tiny drinking straw!!. Nothing exists out side this little tube. No outside thoughts, no outside vision. All that exists in your little tube of vision/thought is the peep, pin and X. You pour all your minds potential of RELAXED/CONFIDENT/HAVING A BLAST focus thoguht that tube you world is in. dont think too much about posture, draw, or relase, I'm sure at this point you have that good enough. NOTHING exist in your world now except peep, pin and X and the confidence as if God himself has told you THIS arrow will be IN THE X, PERIOD.

So, after you hit the x, you look at your arrow in the x for a long stare, you reward yourself with with the same childishness for hitting the x, that you would a puppy who finally used the bathroom OUTSIDe the house for once.

Then you go to blank page, and start over for this next shot. Mental program, emotions of a great shot, etc. etc. and do it all over again.

Each arrow is shot as if it is a 1 shot world shoot.

and well, um, errrr if it didnt hit the x you ask? well that shot didnt just happen, it doesnt exist. never did. you completely erase iut from your mind and prep for the next shot. (if you think of it even for a short time, you will have completely shattered the relaxed even euphoric state you have put yourself it. ) So it didnt hit the x? it didnt matter, it's a 1 shot world shoot, and NOW it it time for you to shoot the one shot!!!!

So now, is all this a crazy man speaking or is their science behind it? It's science. Your worst enemy in marksmanship is your own heart. Every time your heart beats it gives your every muscle a fresh dose of oxygen, this makes the muscle a litt;le striger for a short period of timem hence you muscle pulses. This is what makes your sight wiggle/bobble & jiggle. as well as every thing e;lse in you or attached to you.

The mental program gives you mental confidence (80% of all marksmanship) and put you literally in a type of meditiations which dramatically slows your heart beat, as well as "softening" each individual beat. This SUBSTANCIALLY lessens the over all body muscle pulses, which of course makes you far more steady on target and on relase.

Hope this is not an overwhelming reply, it's all pretty easy once you understand these short, simple steps. The mental program will help you put a bullet in a 10" X ring at 1000meters in a gusting wind, baking in the sun, or on the frozen tundra. I promise it will help you at 60yards.

God bless.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  17. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I am pretty sure I am thinking about it too hard and not relaxing enough to do it right. I will try this tomorrow if I get a chance to shoot.

18. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

What helps fer me Wheels is ta stay focused on my form and not worry about pickin' a pin point on tha targit, Just focus on form .
    It ain't gonna hit tha spot unless ya stay on form anyway.. tah shot is made back at tha peg. in your head not out at tha targit.:wave:

19. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I went out and shot for a little while in the wind :frusty: Anyway, figured a few things out...Started using my string to get consistant on my anchor. And the quicker I shoot, the better I am. If I spend too much time trying to hold on the spot I just get worse. Everything kept going left today:frusty: but I won't move my sights until I have at least two days of left shooting :biggrin1:

20. HYTMANN

HYTMANN Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, how is your draw length? You mentioned shooting left, I tend to do that when my draw is too short and my form gets more dynamic on the follow thru. Incorrect draw, even a little, will affect your ability to aim, and a spot at longer yardages will look smaller, and movement becomes more noticable, all of which combines to make you want to release the arrow as soon as possible instead of waiting to settle in. If you feel the need to shoot fast, perhaps the problem is in your draw length or stabilization set up making it difficult to hold steady?