looking at getting a new rest?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by jwc84, Jul 19, 2006.

1. jwc84

jwc84 Junior Member

right now i am shooting with a drop rest but i was talking to one of my hunting budies this past weekend and he said i should go to a whisker buscuit. was woundering what you guys think of them.......................info on my bow- right now i have 4 inch vans and i hearded that for a whisker you need to go to a 2in cuz the 4in change shape over time. just looking for some info

2. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Your shooting a drop and want to go to a whisker b? :doh: If your only going to be hunting, it might not be a bad idea, but honestly I always thought you were suppose to put those WB's on a target and try to shoot an arrow thur the hole:laugh:

Think of it this way, with a drop rest you have NO fletching contact problems anywhere. Once released, the arrow no longer touches the rest. On the other hand, with the WB, you have nothing but contact, the length of the shaft and expecially when the vanes pass thru the WB. Which makes more since?

3. shaft

shaft Member

I shoot with a WB and I love it. Total containment and best of all-NO moving parts. It is a very simple rest which is just the way I like it. Your arrow really only touches the bottom of the rest and yes your vanes might wrinkle some but I went to 2" BLazer vanes and have had no problems at all. Just be sure your arrow is adjusted so the cock vane is straight up so it doesnt go thru the stiffer black whiskers on the bottom.

4. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Exactly!!!!!!

The WB is an awesome rest although some people do not like the contact the arrow makes to the bristles. I have had nothing but good luck with the WB. I would suggest you give one a try and if you are not satisfied put your drop-away back on. But I think you will be hunting with the WB it is so simple. I agree that blazers are the way to go.:rockon: But have also heard of guys putting a little armor all or turtle wax on there regular vanes and not having any wrinkle issues at all.

5. f1maxis

f1maxis Junior Member

The WB is an absolute great hunting rest, don't be afraid to try one. Use one of the stiffer vanes that are available. Vanetec vanes hold up extremely well when shot through a WB.

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

buy a new arrow rest and take away half of the choices of fletchings on the market, now that makes a hole bunch of sense......I myself like being able to try all the different fletching combos out there:doh: , to see which group the best, or have the best flight caracteristics.......but you do what you want, we cant stop you.....

7. f1maxis

f1maxis Junior Member

jwc84, there are always going to be WB bashers/haters on any forum you visit. Most of them have probably never even shot a WB, let alone have enough experience to comment on them. A lot of what gets repeated is hear-say. It is a fact that the WB is a proven, accurate hunting rest. Many, many, many people are successfully shooting them. You can shoot nearly any vane/feather you choose but the stiffer vanes that are now available on the market do hold up better over time. The best thing you could do is try one and see for yourself. Good luck in your shooting.

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Hold up over time.....So three shots is a long time?????:biggrin1:

Man I wish I had your money (to replace all the fletchings)

WB bashers/haters......kinda like Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, PSE, Browning,AR bashers and the list goes on and on.............

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and you can all have mine, your entitled....:laugh:

9. BowhuntnHoosier

Your opinion is wrong and mine is right.:laugh: WB is the #1 Hunting rest on the market.:peace:

10. f1maxis

f1maxis Junior Member

Yep, three shots, that's as long as they last......:loco:

You really nailed that one.:bored:

11. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Bowman, I agree with what you said.... so here is my opion:

Using a rest that will limit the type of equipment (fletching) I can use is not worth the money spent on it. The WB wouldn't be my first choice, nor will it be my second, third or fourth --- but this is my opinion.

12. Bullish

Bullish Junior Member

Shot the WB for 2 years picked up a nap 360 and like it much better on my hunting rig. For 3d i shoot a drop away, but for hunting WB or the Nap 360 is a much better choice, less moving parts and things to go wrong.

13. jwc84

jwc84 Junior Member

Well thanks for all of your info and ideas about the wb. it seems to me that a great deal of you use them for hunting but they don't hold up that well so i might try one to see but i might just keep my drop rest.

14. BowhuntnHoosier

Trust me jwc84 I have friends that have shot the same biscuit for a couple of years with no problems at all. Just give it a chance and you will have your eyes opened. I have shot my arrows fletched with blazers for 10 months and have never had one wrinkle or rip off at all. Some guys are just afraid of the fletching contact with the whiskers.:noidea: Good luck and happy hunting.:peace:

15. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I been shooting CX 200's w/ stock vanes through a WB for a year with no wrinkles at all.
    Thats 6 arrows/30 shots/4 sometimes 6 times a week.
    Maybe I'm one of the Chosen Ones:hail:

16. killbambidead

killbambidead bambi killer

i had a wb and i had to get all my arrows refletched within a month of when i put it on my bow went to a dropzone and i like it a lot more

17. whitetail99

whitetail99 Senior Member

You can poke a hole in a Brillo pad and get a row to fly threw it as well. For hunting I have been using the GKF Mirage for the last three years and its the best hunting drop away rest. I use to use the Royal Hunter and its the best conventional rest made. The Horse shoe launcher gives you more fletching clearance and it more forgiving than prongs.

18. Radar

Radar Story of my life

I have tried both. I had always used a whisker bisquit for hunting. Its good for alot of things I personally liked the simplicity of it. Shot it with the same bisquit for a couple of years so don't let anybody tell ya they don't last. This year though since I just set up my Trykon XL that I use for 3D's for hunting I am going to keep my Trophy Taker drop-away on. I just put alittle mole skin on the launcher to keep my Easton FMJ's from making noise at the end of the draw cycle. The first time something goes wrong with it though you can bet that a WB will be going on

19. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Do you mind if I use that to explain why I hate the WB.....thats funny:laugh:

20. Hkdfrlife

Hkdfrlife Senior Member

New Rest

When I got a new bow a couple years back, I'd been away from the sport long enough that there were lots of new gizzmos to pick from. As I'm a gadget-holic I loved it. Tried the WB the first year. For hunting I gotta go with my Hoosier nieghbor. The WB can't be beat!!! As for shootin paper and plastic, I think it gets left behind MHO.