Looking for a new Bow

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Galinoth, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Galinoth

Galinoth New Member

Hey guys, i want to just start off by saying hi, new here, anyway, On to the bows:
    Im 15, so im expeirenced with bows before, but nothing more than say a 20-30 pound pull weight on them. Anyway, i lost my old Junior's Bow a loooong time ago, and the only thing we have now is a 70 pound pull weight that my father has had for years. I can pull it but i have a hell of a time to, by the time one arrows off, im beat. So, im looking for a nice bow, possibly anywhere from 25-40 pound pull on it, nothing great, and uner a $130, now ive looked around and ive seen some recurves and compounds for like 400-500 bucks, but im not willing to spend THAT much.
    So any info on where i can get one would be greatly appretiated.
    :D

2. Galinoth

Galinoth New Member

So, im guessing no one knows then huh >.>

3. MagnifiedFur

MagnifiedFur Team 6

Look on Ebay,I seen a few that might fit your description...

4. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

The problem is you have such a tight budget that you are forced into the used market but you don't have the experience to know what you like and dislike. Do you know your draw length? You'll need to get a bow with the correct one or be sure you can get mods to change it if you get a used one. You could try some of the new ones to get a feel for single vs binary cams etc. You may find a cam you like on a new bow and find a year or 2 older one with the same ones, that could tell you something. I don't think used is necessarily the way to start out, but you do what you have to do sometimes.

5. Galinoth

Galinoth New Member

yeah i know what you mean, but, financially, thats about as much as i can afford, possibly higher but not much. Eventually i would love to go hunting, but its been so long, all i want to do is just have some target practive, and ive checked on ebay, nothing i type in comes out, usually has 0 results. But yeah Dbd, if you can, link me to a site where they sell used bows or something like that, i would appreciate it alot. Thanks

6. duckslayer870

duckslayer870 New Member

start searching area archery shops and explain to the owner what you need,most are very willing to help if not leave!! Many in the archery community are willing to help. be sure to get measured for draw length!!!!!!!
    youth bows can at times be easy to find. look at browing micro midas or micro illusion (i think) I was once in your hunting boots. keep looking.:wave:

7. Galinoth

Galinoth New Member

lol thanks, my dad works 600 miles south of me, so, he's found a bow or two he's gonna go check out in the area, and im looking for somehwere between a 22-26 inch draw length, no smaller but otherwise, slightly bigger idc

8. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

You might consider starting out with a recurve. That's how I started 36 years ago. I stood back about 5 yards and shot at a paper plate stuck on a hay bale with a stick, untill I could group all my arrows in the plate. Then I moved back a few yards at a time untill I reached 20 yards. After that, I worked on shrinking my groups. If I'd stuck with it all these years, I'd probably never have wen't to a compound when I came back to bowhunting a few years ago. Our local archery shop has a buck mount taken with a 25# recurve by a teenage girl.

9. dustinpedley

dustinpedley Junior Member

my dad made me do that when i was about 10 before he would let me go hunting or buy a nice bow, thats what i get for having a tournament bare bow shooter as a dad lol. but it made me a great shot.

That budget is tight as far a decent compound goes, check craigslist tho.