Looking for Target/Spot forum...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by swintj1, Aug 10, 2008.

1. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Hi All,

I'm looking to get into spot shooting and I was looking for a target shooting forum, but I just can't find one. Any ideas of good ones out there? I'll still be on this site 24/7, I love all you guys/gals, you've all helped me out tremendously in regards to 3D and general archery, but I would love to get some knowledge on how to be a better target shooter, along with more detailed info on equipment/form. So, if any of you know of any great target shooting sites...I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

-Joe

2. Werd

Werd Guest

3. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

We have several good spot shooters on this forum as well (not including myself) that you could learn a lot from. Even the Bunny is quite a spot shooter, but don't tell him I said that.:doh:

4. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

What do you need to know. Spots is the main thing I am doing right now

5. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Thanks for the support guys! I didn't realize we had spots on this site!

What I'm looking for is a few things about equipment I guess.

I will be buying a Mathews Apex 7, set at 55lbs on the dot, with a 28"dl;

1) I am going to get some CXL-S arrows...but which one? 250's?

2) What grain tip for spots? 200? 250? higher!?

3) I tried one of those skinny little lizard tounges...and couldnt keep the arrow on it, so I think I'm going to throw the Mathews fall-away on...is that okay? Is it still super accurate?

4) With a sure-loc challenger/supreme...and the Viper 4X scope...when I shoot 3D...how do I be accurate at the various distances? Do I just mark down on a piece of paper what height I'm at on the verticle section of the sureloc, and then move the micro adjustment to that appropriate spot for each different target? Or do 3D shooters just get multiple pins?

5) Where are all the target shoots? All I can find are 3D shoots...do I become a member of the MSAA? (Minnesota State Archers Association) in order to be in real shoots?

6) What is the best way to shoot spots: Have pin above X and bring down, bring up, or start right on it and let pin float? I currently start above and let it drop, because it eliminates the left and right pin movement, but it is hard for vertical accuracy. I was told by a Minnesota state champion once to do it that way, and it works well, but just wanted to see if everyone else was doing that.

7) Need a stabilizer...going between an Aluminum Doinker 24" (4oz...) or a Posten 18" Stabilizer. I have a Posten 24"...but the thing weighs a TON in my opinion, so I need something lighter...so if I go Posten again, I need to go shorter...will it still work as well, if not better than a 4oz Doinker?

If those could get answered for me...I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

6. PLEASE note, that some of the information I am about to provide is based on personal "preference". :amen:

See comments inline

Well, I hope my ramblings have provided a little bit of in-sight. But let me provide one other piece of advice, spot shooting (Vegas, 5 spot, Field, FITA, etc.) is extremely addicting! :D

7. McCann

McCann New Member

1. the 250's should be good for you. I used to shoot the origioinal CXL 250's at 62lbs. They flew great.

2. 200 or 250 would be over kill on these arrows. if you want to shoot that heavy of point you would need to shoot the 350's. a 125 grain glue in point on theses arrows is going to put you in the 12% FOC range.

3. look to see if you can find a wider mouthed lizard tongue. several retailers have different sizes of tongues in both thickness, heavier vs lighter arrow, and in the mouth.

4. you can shoot the distances and then make a ledger, this is what i do. But many us one of the computer programs to generate a yardage scale that attaches to the sight. with these you need a few measurements and you are ready to shoot.

5. never hurts to belong to the state orgs. you will find out about more shoots. Archery talk also has a regional shoot section. during the right time of the year the spot shoots are posted there as well.

6. personal prefference. you have to figure this out for youeself. develope your own routine and stick with it. practice or tourney

7. also a personal prefference. but if you get rid of the 24" posten let me know:biggrin1:

Marc

8. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Any suggestion on a great SPOT/3D rest? Pics of them? I am going to try to go buy the bow and the whole set-up tonight...so I'd love to hear back soon.

9. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

The Mathews rest can be either a fall away or a fixed rest...would the Mathews on the "fixed" mode be as good as any?

10. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Guest

Learn to shoot a spring steel rest... It's simple and very accurate...:noidea:

11. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

x2 The spring steel is what most of the top shooters are using.

The Pro Tuner is an example but there are a couple less expensive ones out there

12. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Which is better the Trophy Taker Spring Steal 1 or 2? The two looks better because of more support on the actual rest. Is this correct?

13. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Guest

I have a trophy taker 2 hole rest that is the long bar I would make you a heck of a deal on. It's like brand new it just doesn't fit the bow I was gonna put it on....:noidea:

14. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

I have a lizard tongue rest that I was going to put on my target bow, but I know my feathers would contact the cables on the way by. Does it not matter that much since they are feathers? I would still rather not have anything touch the arrow while it is on its way to another FOUR :doh:

15. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Guest

You lost me Hook... What does a lizzard tongue rest have to do with your fletching hitting the cables? Just sayin....:noidea: