Loop and nock question

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by MikeC, May 3, 2008.

1. MikeC

MikeC New Member

I just bought a new bow and have been away from the sport for 10 years or so. I never used one of those string loops to atach the release to before now. Back when I used to shoot before, I used to put the arrow on the string under the nock then had a rubber ring under that and attached the release to the string under the rubber ring.

The proshop that I bought the bow from setup the loop such that you put the arrow on top of the brass nock. One end of the loop goes under the brass nock and the other end of the loop is attached above with a gap for the arrow nock.

Is this the way it is supposed to be setup? I double checked with the proshop and was told that is the proper way to attach a loop. It shoots fine that way, it just looks different than what I had been used to. As I said, I never used a loop before.

I was interested in how others have their string loops set up.

2. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

You don't need the brass nock but if you take it off you will have to slide the top of your loop down and I tie some serving above the top loop to keep it from moving

3. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I shoot off the string and I have my setups the way you used to shoot, nocking point on top of the arrow nock and a button below. If you use a release rope with a nocking point you should keep the nocking point above the arrow nock and tie the release rope above the nocking point and below the arrow nock. If you do use a release rope you should consider dropping the brass nocking point alltogether and just use the release rope to center your arrow nock on the string.

Ron

4. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

I personally do not like the brass nock points. I think they pinch the nock and cause inconsistancies in the arrow release from the string.

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, your right but some of the newer eliminator bottons have a taper to them that reduce that by a lot. Another thing to try is tie in a nocking point using serving material instead of a brass nocking point. You can 'customize' it's shape to suit the brand and style of nock you are using. I'm messing with that now and it's working out pretty well. But it is trial and error...

Ron

6. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

you can also tie in a ball of serving instead of a eliminator botton

7. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I tie in about an 1/8" of serving above and below the nock point and then tie the loop on the outside of that to do away with any nock pinch.

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, that's a nice setup too. Good idea.

Ron