Loop walking around the string?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Chris, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Anyone had to deal with a loop that seems to want to walk around the string?

I shoot a BT release and my peep come back nice and straight. That is until my loop starts to walk around the string.

When the bow is at rest (ie not drawn), I make sure the loop is pointed straight back toward the archer. When it is like this it is fine and the peep is perfect. After a couple shots it starts working it's way around the string.

If I don't move it back the peep then starts to not line up. The more I shoot the worse the peep gets. I then move the loop back to it's pointed straight back and all it good for a couple more shots.

Anyone had this trouble? How do you keep the loop from spinning?

2. Pinky

Pinky Senior Member

Yes, I had this same problem. It is very annoying. There are some easy fixes for this problem.

FIX #1:
    A tiny drop of fletching glue on the top and bottom loop knots, at the serving, will stop the the loop knots from moving. The glue breaks loose easily if you need to make adjustments. But, it seems to hold the loop in place for a ton of shots.

FIX #2:

Remove the loop. Personally, I can not see any increase in accuracy using the loop. Especially for a hunting rig.

FIX #3: (an idea)

Reverse the serving rotation. Instead of serving the string from bottom to top, serve it from top to bottom. This would create a thread pattern that would force the the loop to screw downward. Maybe this would fix it. Just a thought, but, it seems reasonable.

Chris, your issues with the loop moving is the sign of a quality string. If the string is served tightly and properly, the loop will easily move along the serving as does a nut on a screw thread. A loop that stays in place, without help, is a sign that the loop is tied onto loose serving, or, a loop that was tied by godzilla. :D

3. Jefro

Jefro Member

Chris-

Is your loop tied so that the part of loop material wraps around in opposite directions? It's had to explain without pictures. You want to make sure that as the loop is being started, that the top part of the loop (saddle) is on the opposite side as the bottom. By doing this the loop will fight against each other keeping it from spinning around the string.

4. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I do have them tied on the same side. I'll untie it and move one of the knots to the other side.

Here's a picture someone sent me.

5. rmarchery

rmarchery Junior Member

Chris
    I tie a simple serve top and bottom of my loop (outsde the loop) and that keeps mine from moving on me

6. glenny

glenny Senior Member

We all need help sometimes,um um.
    You sold me some serve anchor,you need to get some,it works great before you put the loop on,once you get it where you need it wrench on the loop outward with some needlenose inside the loop it should stay put.
    I would only put it where the loop is,maintaining speed is quite touchy in that department if you know what I mean.

7. sullivt

sullivt Junior Member

I have had the same problem... what I did to fix it was switch to a smaller diameter string for the loop. Specifically I use the string you would utilize in a release. Once you get it tied on then use a set of needle nose pliers, pushing it between the loop and string to tighten the knots. Once tightened the loop should stay put.

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

look what I found....the leader needs our help.....

9. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I believe this probably fixed the problem.

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

schmoes, helpin the pros:laugh:

11. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

It is still gonna walk for I served it that way. I novel thought tho. HS

12. justiadak

justiadak Member

get yourself a pare of string loop pliers and applie one drop of fletch tite to your nots before you pull them tight.:doh: