mad about cross-bow's

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by kbohunt, Mar 20, 2007.

1. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

How many of you have a problem with cross-bow hunter's
    hunting in archery season .:mad:
    opened in my state 2 year's ago & getting bad around here.

2. UPSTATE

UPSTATE Member

KOBOHUNT
    I am not pro crossbow,I'm a diehard compound guy. I'm just curious what the negative impact of the crossbow actually is. I'm concerned that they will someday be allowed in my state (NY). incidentally I spend a week each year deer hunting in your fine state near Charlottesville. Great terrain and beatiful countryside.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007

3. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

holdon

Crossbows are legal in wis. if you are handicaped or over 65( I think 65). I Know of only a couple people that use them. My 73 old DAD being one of them. He hasn't gotten a shot at a deer yet. But I pray every season that he gets one.:cheer2:

4. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

Wow thats a bummer, cant use one here unless its gun season. I think it would be a bit unfair other wise. and speaking of cross bows, got to see the styker tonight, shot a 400 grain arrow at 408 fps. now that will put the hurt on stuff!!!

5. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

I know some may not like all the means there are to hunt with, but my personal opinion is that if it is a legal means to hunt in any particular area than more power to those that use them.

It kinda falls in with the same way of thinking on banning certain firearms. If we allow them to ban one type it just opens the door to start the process of banning them all.

Wasn't to long ago that the traditional shooters were saying the same thing about compound bows. We may not like them, but as hunters we should support any legal means to hunt and if this means supporting the use of Xbows, then we have a responsibility to do so.

6. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

nicely put! :rockon:

we can only use them during rifle season. if your handicaped you can use them during bow season witch i think is a great thing. if it wasnt for that my dad would never be able to bow hunt agian. him being able to use a crossbow and bow hunt agian is a big moral boster for him and many others that can get back out in the woods agian.

7. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

As hunters, we are loosing our hunting ground, our numbers are declining. We need to ban together. Yes, we will have disagreements BUT these are normally nothing major. I don't care what weapon people choose to hunt with as long as its legal. Am I happy that I would have to deal with crossbow people hunting the same time bow hunters are in the woods. No, but that's just selfishness and wanting the woods to myself.

We need more hunters, period. We need a united stand against the antis. We can't acheive this if we all constantanly bicker. The traditional guys hate the compounders, the compounders hate the crossbows, the bowhunters hate the gun hunters.... sound familiar? Sometimes, we are our own worst enemy.

8. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

9. QDAWG44

QDAWG44 Junior Member

I am against it !!! Unless you are handicapped and have a special permit, lets keep archery season for bows. Here in NY there is always talk about putting in an early muzzeloader season that would be during our archery season. NOOOOO !!!! I love all hunting with different weapons, but I speak for most that our greatest passion and most satisfying hunting moments are with that stick and string! It just seems thats the way its suppose to be done.

10. dtgiacomini

dtgiacomini Junior Member

Ok, well if you ever take a hunters saftey class, which i took many years ago. One of the only long lasting lessons that the class tought me was that anyone can hunt...but not everyone is a hunter. Just because its legal does not mean its ethical.

11. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

They are illegal in Illinois unless you get a special permit for a disability. Personally I think they should be legal.

Personally I agree with Chris. I have never hunted or seen anyone hunt with a crossbow but I would welcome them.

I casually tell people I meet that I hunt and I get this look/stare like I'm some kind of wacko. That's not the reaction we should be getting. Getting the 'wacko look' is not good since where the rubber meets the road that's the popular view, like it or not. We need to change the popular view OR increase our numbers. Changing the popular view is likely not going to happen so we have to concentrate on the latter. The more of us there are the better and I don't care if they hunt with a slingshot as long as it's legal they get the job done.

Ron

12. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

lot of good stuff here, Its really odd that hunting is so differnt thoughout the US, I really dont think we need more hunters to fight the antis and such, we just need the hunters we already have to stand up a little more, i think. Around my area, land is being leased big time, the outfitters have control of so much of it, the people who dont want to pay 100 bucks to shoot a doe deer for some winter meat will go find some public land, along with everyone else. I usto hunt a good public area for elk, its so full of hunters now, I refuse to hunt their now, its sad when you get up early, hike 3 hours to get to your spot, sneek in quietly, then when the sun comes up, theirs 25 other hunters sitting on the same 150 yard meadow that you wanted to hunt. then the worst part of it, if theirs 50 elk on it, 35 elk get slaughterd, evryone fights for the best one, then when all the tags are cut out, their still 10 dead animals laying their, but everyone goes away happy...... makes me sick. I would rather work my butt of for a week and not see and elk other then be apart of what some people say is hunting!

13. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I don't use them but "unethical"...How is it any different from bow or rifle...the equipment is capable of a kill and it's down to shot placement and a skilled ethical hunter...only the hunter can be unethical not the weapon...will it get more people in the woods??? maybe, maybe not...but hunters are a dying breed, so if it gets more people into the sport so be it...I guess the only disagreement I would have is if they call themselves archers...JMHO

14. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Could they be included in tha primative weapons season....Muzzleloader and xbows?

15. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

in virginia

In my case i agree with cross-bow's in regular firearm season,along with muzzle/pistol/rifle or anything you want to use.

I have been hunting in the same huntclub for 25year's
    when i first joined i was the only bowhunter out of 35member's
    3 year's ago there were 9member's bow hunting 2000ac.still 35member's
    they abide by all state law's,vote on issues & i was out-voted when the state law came into the affect that all can use cross-bow's in archery season.
    this past season 15member's used cross-bow's 10 never used anything other than a gun & we have a trophy program in effect,in which there were wounded deer all over the place me & 1member were using compound's got 2 each no wounded animals. :mad: that's what i have a problem with.the other club's in the area had the same problem.
    the local archery pro shop is now 75% selling cross-bow's when i ask one of the owner's he told me they sold around 450cross-bow's/with 20 or so trade'in
    on crossbow's he had alot of mathew's bow's his #1 seller couldnt sell but 2.

this year im going to try to change the vote but it look's like im all by myself.
    Virginia is growing way to big & the game commission say's they have to many deer & the bow hunter's are'nt cutting down the population fast enough i guess sooner or later there wont be a bow season at all they'll just let you use any weapon & just call it hunting season.