making arrows

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by nyarcher, Aug 16, 2007.

1. nyarcher

nyarcher Member

what is your favorite glue for vanes on carbon?how do you prep?what jig do you use?i'm new to making my own arrows.I just ordered a grayling to do my own arrows. nice to meet everyone!:wave:

2. chelleo

chelleo Guest

I use a Bitzenberger jig and Goat Tuff glue. I prep the arrows with Denatured alcohol until the shaft is squeaky. Don't touch the area you have cleaned and your glue should stick very well. Key to it all is don't use alot of glue...less is more.

3. dzingale

dzingale Senior Member

What he said.:cool:

4. nyarcher

nyarcher Member

Iv'e read about goat tuff on a few posts.I'll have to get some. Who here likes the blazer vanes?

5. chelleo

chelleo Guest

Hmm should i :Cry: or just figure you are very sleepy. I'm an ole woman at least this week, didn't think I looked like a man in that pic but maybe DZ needs glasses too LOL

6. dzingale

dzingale Senior Member

I use Vanetech and love them. I have worked with the new QS Speedhunters and like them too.

7. dzingale

dzingale Senior Member

Sorry about that.:doh:

8. nyarcher

nyarcher Member

hahahaha I'm going to love this place!:rockon:

9. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Careful, you don't want to give them any firepower, they will run with it. DZ must be tired, cuz you look like a woman to me Chelle :biggrin1:

10. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Goat tuff for all

11. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Saunders is great glue and if you need to refletch it is much easier to get off than Goat Tuff.

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I have used Flecht tite and FT platinum and had trouble I switched to goat tuff no trouble...But like Chelleo said prep your arrows good, it makes or breaks the job...

Blazers are a tuff vane...some guys have some trouble tuning with them, but I don't use them myself...

13. piethon

piethon Member

Well I just started making my own arrows as well and got some good advise from everyone here. I tried Fletch Tite, and Goat tuff Glue. I definitely preferred the Goat Tuff. It also works good to glue in your inserts. Everyone told me to not over do it with the glue but of course I did at first. I have been using the Arizona EZ Fletcher, works good and it's fast. Well good luck to you.

14. chelleo

chelleo Guest

Should have mentioned vanes. I have tried the vanetec vanes and they just were really tough to get glued on for some reason. I put them on some acc's I had and ended up takeing them off. Duravanes are pretty nice and stick on well, but right now I'm using those Bohning X-Vanes shield cut on my target arrows. (CX Nanos) and they are the easiest things to glue on and they work really well.

15. J.C.

J.C. Active Member

I use a bitz jig, Pine Ridge glue and a variety of fletching, usually 3 in feathers and blazers. I occasionally use wraps and I think they really help the fletch adhesion, but I'm usually too lazy to bother.

16. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

LOL DZ Wheels3 is also a women.... just thought id point it out. I like the fletch tite platinum, and i prep with acetone, shaft and vanes, i have also used hobby grade CA but i dont really like it, the fletch tite is good enough for me. I use 30 min epoxy on my tips, also prep the inside of glue area with acetone.

17. nyarcher

nyarcher Member

thank you all for your opinions.I am going to start playing around with vanes and see what i like.:wave:

18. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Goat tuff or any other CA based glue like Hot Stuff or Jet. The last 2 can be found in Hobby Shops that sell RC airplane models and such. Those are basically the same as Goat tuff (CA based) and about the same price too.
    Oh and if you go with the latter two get the gap filling style instead of the thin. It's thicker and much easier to work with.

Ron

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  19. nyarcher

nyarcher Member

what do you mean by CA based?

20. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

AEE Fast set gel works by far better than any other glue. Sets super fast and have not had a single vane come loose or peal.