Martin Bows

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Bobut, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Bobut

Bobut New Member

Hi all! I have a Martin Cougar Magnum that I've owned for about 24 years. I love the bow but it's old, heavy and big. I've been thinking of getting a Mathews but I just found out that Martin has a Firecat that's small, fast and weighs in at 3.6 lbs. I'd like to stay with Martin because the Cougar has been very good to me. Has anyone had any experience with the Firecat?
    Thanks,
    Bob

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I'm a dealer and have had a couple Firecats through the shop. It is an outstanding bow for the price tag.

The Firecat is quick, it is quiet, and it is very dead in the hand at the shot.

It has a binary cam system on it that is a little stiff on the draw and takes a bit to get used to. It has a draw stop peg which gives it an outstanding back wall.

Like all Martins, you can disassemble the bow without a press and the Firecat does come with Stone Mountain strings.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

3. Bobut

Bobut New Member

Thanks JC. Do they come in lefty?
    Bob

4. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Yep. Sure do.

5. Bobut

Bobut New Member

JC, thank you very much.
    Bob

6. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

I bought a new Martin earlier this spring myself. I shot the Firecat and MOAB. Both these bows use the same riser, the difference being the cams and reinforced limbs for the Cat - I bought the MOAB, it too is light and has a draw stop. Rock solid back wall. Justin :wave: may say it's "a little stiff" I say it's ugly. I found the draw curve on 2 of his Elites to be better than the Firecat. No doubt I gave up speed when I took the MOAB over the Firecat but I don't regret it for one minute; the MPro cam has a very sweet draw curve. I would definitely recommend shooting a Firecat before ordering one. Some seem to like it just fine, and then I have seen a few on AT for sale because they didn't. Did I say defintely suggest shooting one before buying. :D I see you're a lefty which may make that nearly impossible, but be warned it is going feel much different than that old Cougar. I will give you one thing Justin, it is a whole lot of perfomance for the price. :thumb:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  7. Bobut

Bobut New Member

Thanks DBD, I'll take your advice.