Mathews Bows. Are they really the best made?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Straightandtrue67, Oct 1, 2006.

1. It has been a long time since I picked up a compound bow and went hunting (over 25 years). For some reason, I just got a bug to get back into it (I have alot of friends who bow hunt). So I started asking around about which compound bow company makes the best quality bow for the money. The majority of the people I've been asking say, if they had the money they would invest in a Mathews bow hands down. I guess my question is why everyone says Mathews Bow's are the best? To be honest I never heard of the company when I grew up shooting bows (late 70's and early 80's). In those days, Browning make some of the best hunting compound bows. I still remember Bear Bows, Jennings bows, and Browning bows from those days. Can someone please enlighten me about the quality of Mathews bows. I'm willing to spend $800.00 for a good compound bow and assessories. What other good bow companies out there compare to the quality and performance of Mathews bows (if any)? Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Take Care and God Bless!

Ed

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Besides the obvious fact that they are awesome. The Mathews holds it's value the best. Kind of the Harley Davidson of the line.

My recommendation is to get to a shop that has a few of the top ones and shoot them.

3. big scores

big scores banned from AT

$800 will get you a bare bow from Mathews. :doh:

Now days just about any bow company makes a quality bow that will last many years. Go to a couple different shops and try out as many bows as possible. I am betting that by shooting different bows, Mathews may not be your top choice anymore.

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I still can't figure out why Mathews bows sell for so much used... must be all the fanboys out there.

Bowtech is quickly gaining on Mathews in the resale catagory though... Hoyt is dropping like a rockin the resale catagory, Martin, PSE,... all have little resale.

5. diamond-vic.

diamond-vic. Senior Member

one word.......BOWTECH!!

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I am just wondering if you are trying to stir the pot as you have already put mathews in your signature????

If so I welcome the pot stirring.....and can carry on w/the best of them......

And NO NO NO not every damb bow mathews sells costs a fortune bare bow....but the more popular modles...... switchback (the original), xt, ld....

I am about as sick of hearring that as I can get......most of the larger companies all have there main bows selling for about 650-750 dollars......so you can take that argument and wipe.......

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Mostly because of there value when new....there quality in workmanship.... because of the way they shoot and the way the hold and how smooth they REALLY are......you can deny it all you want but that does not make it any less true......

I agree that Mathews is not perfect in everyones eyes and there are alot of people out there that only say theirs is the best because thats all they have to compare it too......but again that is personal preference......

To me they feel the best in my hands.....and when a deers life is on the line or any other animal for that matter i say go w/what makes you the most confident is what should be in your hand.....

Most people will admit if they are honest w/them selves that Mathews is a very good quality piece of equipment....and as far as everything put together (company, warrenty, dealer support, dealer only, dealler protection, service, and then all the things that the bow is) You really do get what you pay for....and for those reasons Mathews may be the best at this point in time.....

8. hoggin03

hoggin03 Junior Member

I'll save you a buck. If you are paying $800 for a Mathews bare, send me a PM and I'll tell you where you can get an XT for $675...plus a $124 dollar finders fee...:biggrin1:

As far as the original posters question - I went into my search with an open mind. I was willing to buy whatever suited me best. I shot Hoyts, Bowtechs, PSE's, Diamonds, Fred Bears, Brownings, Martins, and Reflex as well as Mathews. I eliminated most pretty quickly with the exception of the Switchback XT and the Bowtech Tribute. It eventually came down to the fact that the XT felt the best TO ME.

I don't think you can go wrong with most bows out there today. Just shoot as many as you can and pick what feels the best.

By the way - I love my XT!

9. Tailbuster

Tailbuster Junior Member

Bow

The Matthews Switchback XT is a very good bow. I have a Bowtech Tribute that I personally like better. There are other very good bows out there as well. What you have to do, is figure out what you are willing to pay. Top of the line Matthews, Tribute are 6-650 ish, plus rest, sights, release, arrows,peep, kisser. Sounds like a grand. What you do then is go shoot them and figure out what feels best to you. That is what it really comes down to.

all the best,
    john

10. Hoyt101

Hoyt101 Banned

Not the very best Mathews and Hoyt
    are the to best know and best made
    all tho I belive Hoyt has been making
    bows much longer and Their pro team
    Is better then mathews team but its
    more about what you like i am a Hoyt
    man myself

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  12. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

You can not go wrong with either the Switchback or the XT.....I still prefer the original......but if I had to I would shoot an XT......probably go look for a Trykon first.....

15. oldwon

oldwon Junior Member

Matthews SBXT are $599 in Benton Tn. At Bentons Shooters supply. My 2 sons and I all bought the SBXT last week. The other shop is selling them at $679. Matthews has been around and there warranty to the original owner is excellent. Bowtech is a good company that has gained respect but 2 years ago I wouldn't have said that..

16. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

599 is 200 under MSRP

17. Darren E

Darren E Junior Member

You might want to take a look at this company-

http://evotekbows.com/

A VERY Good bow with a very good price tag. They are a relatively new complany though. However, I got a chance to shoot their product at their location in Conroe. Quite impressive.

18. diamond-vic.

diamond-vic. Senior Member

looks alot like a bowtech to me, even the websight dispaly is similar

19. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Mathews does not post a MSRP unless that has changed since like yestarday???

20. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Sorry meant Typical Retail Price. and its 749, not 799. My bad :tape: